Ryanair luggage policy

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
airazurxtror

Re: Ryanair luggage policy

Post by airazurxtror »

Exhausted wrote: However, I must say that I find flying with this airline absolutely exhausting with the amount of research that has to go into preparing for a simple flight.
With any airline, the first booking takes a lot of time. The websites are all different and sometimes seem rather strange.
When you are more accustomed, booking take less time.
Ryanair frequent users routinely make an FR booking in two or three minutes !

Stij

Post by Stij »

Exhausted wrote:I don't understand all this. I have just printed out the 'Checked Baggage Allowance' from the Ryanair website. It clearly states: "Each passenger is permitted to check in up to a maximum of 2 bags with a maximum weight of 15 kilos PER BAG (subject to the payment of the applicable checked baggage fees)."

In light of all that various people have had to say on this, the printout will be coming with me to the airport where I can show it to Ryanair personnel in case of any difficulty.

Cheers.
Hi,

Well, my original post was more then a year ago and was correct at that time.

I went online and yes indeed, THE rules have changes! Logic has won!

Cheers,

Stij

earthman

Post by earthman »

Be aware however, the limit is 15kg per bag. If you have 2 bags, each of those bags cannot be heavier than 15kg, so no 20kg + 10kg.

summersso

Post by summersso »

An industry source tells me Ryanair are now seriously looking at scraping checked-in baggage all together. So few passengers are checking in luggage, revenues are marginal, and they still incur the cost of manning checkin desks. In addition, with so few bags in the hold, Ryanair are having problems stabilising aircraft (normally luggage is moved to balance the aeroplane.

Most viable alternative is luggage-drop off and collection at the aircraft stairs, perhaps for a "nominal" fee, but they'll need to find ways to get round security regulations etc.

Stij

Post by Stij »

summersso wrote:An industry source tells me Ryanair are now seriously looking at scraping checked-in baggage all together. So few passengers are checking in luggage, revenues are marginal, and they still incur the cost of manning checkin desks. In addition, with so few bags in the hold, Ryanair are having problems stabilising aircraft (normally luggage is moved to balance the aeroplane.

Most viable alternative is luggage-drop off and collection at the aircraft stairs, perhaps for a "nominal" fee, but they'll need to find ways to get round security regulations etc.
OK! We'll go on holidays for a week with 10kg of luggage a person! I'll try to explain that to my girlfriend! Morituri te salutant!

Oops security regulations, well that's something FR likes to ignore for publicity reasons: remember the plan to eliminate 2 toilets in order so squeeze in a few more seats whereas they operate the 738 already at its legal limit?

Although honestly, I would like to drop of my bags at the plane and get them back there, I would be sure they wouldn't lose them! Just as it works with carry-ons on LH Cityline.

Cheers,

Stij

regi

Post by regi »

Stij wrote:
summersso wrote:An industry source tells me Ryanair are now seriously looking at scraping checked-in baggage all together. So few passengers are checking in luggage, revenues are marginal, and they still incur the cost of manning checkin desks. In addition, with so few bags in the hold, Ryanair are having problems stabilising aircraft (normally luggage is moved to balance the aeroplane.

OK! We'll go on holidays for a week with 10kg of luggage a person! I'll try to explain that to my girlfriend! Morituri te salutant!

Oops security regulations, well that's something FR likes to ignore for publicity reasons: remember the plan to eliminate 2 toilets in order so squeeze in a few more seats whereas they operate the 738 already at its legal limit?

Although honestly, I would like to drop of my bags at the plane and get them back there, I would be sure they wouldn't lose them! Just as it works with carry-ons on LH Cityline.

Cheers,

Stij
Everybody who had some basic economic education has been shown the one sided excercise showing that if you stop every activity in your company, you loose less money. This has been put in practice by some companies during the crisis - which is not over btw.
So Ryanair comes to the conclusion that by their severe luggage program they are confronted with the fixed costs of the luggage handling. Oops, nobody thought about that? Don't they work with Excell? Or would the free OpenOffice spreadsheet show different results? :lol:

earthman

Post by earthman »

regi wrote: Everybody who had some basic economic education has been shown the one sided excercise showing that if you stop every activity in your company, you loose less money.
Actually we've been shown the opposite, that you may lose less money when continuing as opposed to stopping, as it may allow you to recover some fixed costs, which are incurred even if all activity is halted.

regi

Post by regi »

earthman wrote:
regi wrote: Everybody who had some basic economic education has been shown the one sided excercise showing that if you stop every activity in your company, you loose less money.
Actually we've been shown the opposite, that you may lose less money when continuing as opposed to stopping, as it may allow you to recover some fixed costs, which are incurred even if all activity is halted.
I was a bit surprised, but I realise that my grammar was not that good.
Yes sure, Earthman, your answer was in fact what I meant.
It is the simple excercise of A-B and C customers and fixed cost spreading.
So what I meant was: Ryanair introduced this extra cost for luggage with the result that less people check in luggage. But they have to keep that staff, check in counter etcetera. Fixed costs spread over less customers.
And now they come to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to cancel all luggage check in .
But they still will have luggage handling through web check in.
In the past they regained some money by selling overweight luggage. This will disappear now.
Time will show how far Ryanair can stretch this policy of seperate payments for "every breath you take".
Detail:
I have been told that the ministry of economic affairs, that has always been responsable for controlling the weight scales of shops , will do unannounced controls at Belgian airports, following several reports of faulty scales. The fines on such malpractices are vicious, and can even be punished by temporarely closure of activities.