BRU airport website restricted viewing due to heavy traffic!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Vinnie-Winnie

BRU airport website restricted viewing due to heavy traffic!

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

This is absolutely beyond me! So a lot people are currently being delayed, need more info than usual, and guess what BRU airport displays the following message:
Due to the large number of visitors, only part of brusselsairport.be is accessible for the moment.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
What a bunch of Amateurs seriously! Do they really want people to turn up at the airport due to lack of information when the airport might be shut!

Not saying that this comparable to the Eurostar Fiasco but seriously surely u'd expect them to make a little effort (ie by temporary increased bandwith)

Bunch of Amateurs got no other words for them!

LX-LGX

Re: BRU airport website restricted viewing due to heavy traffic!

Post by LX-LGX »

Vinnie-Winnie wrote:This is absolutely beyond me! So a lot people are currently being delayed, need more info than usual, and guess what BRU airport displays the following message:
Due to the large number of visitors, only part of brusselsairport.be is accessible for the moment.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
What a bunch of Amateurs seriously! Do they really want people to turn up at the airport due to lack of information when the airport might be shut! Not saying that this comparable to the Eurostar Fiasco but seriously surely u'd expect them to make a little effort (ie by temporary increased bandwith). Bunch of Amateurs got no other words for them!
Allow me to disagree. 90% of the visitors now want flight information, and those links work. Search can be done on date+time and on destination or origin. The other 10% website visitors want contact details from their airline, and that link also works.

- -

"... Owing to the huge increase in visitor numbers on Schiphol.nl in connection with the wintry weather, the information on this website is not fully accessible. Current flight information can be found in the menu on the left. We apologise for any inconvenience caused..." (website from Amsterdam Airport at this very moment)

So apology from Brussels Airport is accepted.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The website returned to normal this morning, but is back in the reduced format. The essential information remains available: arrivals and departures, recent airport information about weather conditions.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

ie by temporary increased bandwith
It's more a problem of server resource, but it prooves they are amateurs indeed

dna

Post by dna »

Would you say that Amsterdam Airport are amateurs as well then? Their site also offered reduced functionality over the last few days due to heavy visitor numbers.

joyraider

Post by joyraider »

dna wrote:
Would you say that Amsterdam Airport are amateurs as well then? Their site also offered reduced functionality over the last few days due to heavy visitor numbers.
Airport • Passengers handled • Year
Brussels Airport • 17.876.618 • 2007
Amsterdam Schiphol Airport • 47.430.019 • 2008

That might just be a factor.

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

I am actually a big fan of the reduced version.
You get the essential info very quickly.

What extra things does the full version have that are unmissable for a couple of days?

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

The website is not their key business.
If this happens with an online retailer than they would be amateurs.
But this is an AIRPORT not an online retailer.

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

SN_fan wrote:The website is not their key business.
Yeah right! Their business is to move people as efficiently as possible from the outside world to the planes. How on earth do you do that if people are not clearly aware of what is going on and what measures they have to take should the situation not be very normal.

If I follow your argument Eurotunnel should not care about the people going through the tunnel because their business is to let trains run through the tunnel not passengers...

Then again I have yet to see a very good airport website... But make it run please!

9vsmu

Post by 9vsmu »

You're fully right, BUT ...................... their spokesman J Vander Cruysse always says to check the airports's website.

BTW, cargo schedules are down since it started snowing.

A company like his should anticipate and make sure the server has enough capacity to cover excepional situations.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

dna wrote:
From a pure IT point of view, yes they are. It has happened before, and it seems they didn't improve their capacity to face high load in rare time. Now, having a reduced version is not a bad idea at all, but it's been done with a lot of mistakes too, news that were 1 year old for ex.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

9vsmu wrote: You're fully right, BUT ...................... their spokesman J Vander Cruysse always says to check the airports's website.
And one can find all necessary information on the reduced website.

9vsmu

Post by 9vsmu »

Conti764 wrote:
9vsmu wrote: You're fully right, BUT ...................... their spokesman J Vander Cruysse always says to check the airports's website.
And one can find all necessary information on the reduced website.
arrivals and departures is not what I call necessary info. That is basic info.

And what about some tel. nrs for booking/rebooking info, temporary procedures, alternative solutions, .....

For an airport calling itself INTERNATIONAL, it's a poor performance.

BAC says runways and most taxiways have been cleared, but thet don't mention the platforms.

Almost the complete platform is still covered with snow. This makes loading/offloading a though job.
And than, some crews complain the turnround takes a long time. As if the ground crew are playing cards ..

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

Vinnie-Winnie wrote:
Yeah right! Their business is to move people as efficiently as possible from the outside world to the planes. How on earth do you do that if people are not clearly aware of what is going on and what measures they have to take should the situation not be very normal.

If I follow your argument Eurotunnel should not care about the people going through the tunnel because their business is to let trains run through the tunnel not passengers...

Then again I have yet to see a very good airport website... But make it run please!
First, What additional information would there be on the complete website ?? You have Arrival/Departures and phone numbers and any information they released (Although you could argue that the info is not sufficient, but this has nothing to do with how their reduced website is offered).
Or are you maybe looking for the job section or the low-fares that are on offer.... ???
The current information they provide is what they deem to be important for passengers.

Second, The BAC is not the same as Eurotunnel. BAC has nothing to do with transporting the passengers. So the Airlines should take care of their passengers and not BAC. They could however try to get their costs back if BAC would be at fault.
That's the difference between the company that give the service and the company that provide the infrastructure.

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

9vsmu wrote: BTW, cargo schedules are down since it started snowing.
Is that important information for passengers ?!?
It's a nice feature maybe, but probably the people who needs this kind of information will have it.

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

9vsmu wrote: arrivals and departures is not what I call necessary info. That is basic info.

And what about some tel. nrs for booking/rebooking info, temporary procedures, alternative solutions, .....

For an airport calling itself INTERNATIONAL, it's a poor performance.

BAC says runways and most taxiways have been cleared, but thet don't mention the platforms.

Almost the complete platform is still covered with snow. This makes loading/offloading a though job.
And than, some crews complain the turnround takes a long time. As if the ground crew are playing cards ..
Again knowing which platforms are cleared might be nice for airport enthusiasts but again not necessary if you need to know about your flight.
You only need to know if and when your flight is going to depart. The WHY a plane is delayed is not necessary info if you are a passenger.

Well about the phonenumbers:http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/Phone_numbers.pdf
So that's on their website. And for the temporary procedures & alternative solutions you should contact the airline you're flying with as they offer you the service.

9vsmu

Post by 9vsmu »

I will post no longer on this subject, but it is clear to me you are not working in close contact with the customers of the airport, be it passenger, staff or airlines.

Your reaction about the platforms doesn't make any sense. BAC says the runways and taxiways have been cleared, but loadingstaff work in kneehight snow and have difficulties handling all the necessary equipment (loaders, belts, trolleys,......) The fuellers have to start sweeping around with a brush to find the fuelpits, the marshallers guide a/c onto the wrong lines with a collision waiting to happen.

There is the reality and there is the reality BAC wants you to see.

Talk to the people on the field, and you will notice lot's of them are almost ashamed to tell they work at the airport, all because BAC acts as a bunch of amateurs.

Good evening.

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

It's your right to no longer answer on this subject.

But again as you clearly don't get my point. The things you say could and will be all true but this has nothing to the with the topic. Namely, BRU airport WEBSITE restricted viewing due to heavy traffic.
According to me, all the necessary info BAC has to provide to passengers are given on their website.
And if you would like to know, I worked as a baggage loader and check-in agent.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

SN_fan wrote:It's your right to no longer answer on this subject.

But again as you clearly don't get my point. The things you say could and will be all true but this has nothing to the with the topic. Namely, BRU airport WEBSITE restricted viewing due to heavy traffic.
According to me, all the necessary info BAC has to provide to passengers are given on their website.
Clearly not a good one.......

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

JOVAN wrote:
SN_fan wrote:It's your right to no longer answer on this subject.

Clearly not a good one.......
:lol:

Luckily you contributed to this topic like an educated person.