EK (Emirates) comes to BRU

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

1V1

Re: Will EK (Emirates) come to BRU?

Post by 1V1 »

sdbelgium wrote:No, only 4 daily KLM's.
Perfect, thanks.BTW another new dest. will probably be CPH.

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

Schedule has been unofficially released (as said earlier EFF 01MAY10):

Code: Select all

EK 145  DXB 0825  AMS 1330  
EK 146  AMS 1530  DXB 2359
Quite a nice schedule, to be honest...

liege-bierset

Post by liege-bierset »

This information is confirmed by several news .
So BRU destination fo EK : looks more and more as a wishful thinking... :cry: :cry:

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

1V1 wrote:Is there still a Brussels air (SN) flight to AMS? Would be nice for the expats.
There's a (somewhat adventurous) train service from Brussels-Mechelen-Antwerpen to Amsterdam with a stop at Schiphol.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

liege-bierset wrote:This information is confirmed by several news .
So BRU destination fo EK : looks more and more as a wishful thinking... :cry: :cry:
Why does everybody see this as a bad thing? Is it that cool to have EK flying to your airport? This would have some advantages, but probably more disadvantages... There are some Asian routes we could definately forget if EK comes to BRU, maybe they would force EY out of the market,...

fretn

Post by fretn »

Conti764 wrote:
liege-bierset wrote:This information is confirmed by several news .
Why does everybody see this as a bad thing? Is it that cool to have EK flying to your airport? This would have some advantages, but probably more disadvantages... There are some Asian routes we could definately forget if EK comes to BRU, maybe they would force EY out of the market,...
because that means cheaper tickets ;), but i'd rather see qatar airways instead of emirates, emirates looks kinda "cheapo" in comparisson with some other gulf carriers (qatar, etihad).

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

fretn wrote: because that means cheaper tickets ;), but i'd rather see qatar airways instead of emirates, emirates looks kinda "cheapo" in comparisson with some other gulf carriers (qatar, etihad).
:roll: :roll: I guess you've never flown Emirates. Or are you talking about the painting of the aircraft? :D

fretn

Post by fretn »

1V1 wrote:
fretn wrote: because that means cheaper tickets ;), but i'd rather see qatar airways instead of emirates, emirates looks kinda "cheapo" in comparisson with some other gulf carriers (qatar, etihad).
:roll: :roll: I guess you've never flown Emirates. Or are you talking about the painting of the aircraft? :D
i've flown them, and i've flown qatar.
I must say that my experiences on qatar were way better.

The level of most gulf carriers is very high, i know that emirates isn't a bad carrier ;).

liege-bierset

Post by liege-bierset »

Do not get me wrong!
I have no reason to be happy if EK would not come to BRU. But just be realistic with AMS and DUS in the vicinity and the Dubai collapse , the load factor would be to low for EK to land in BRU.
Not easy to understand BIAC strategy. BRU with UE, NATO and all International C° should have had done better.
Look at Schiphol, how do we explain their succes when Brussels National (Capital of Europe) looks as a dwarfish in the world.
Going for a LCC terminal is not to clever, is fighting with CLR and Ryanair the most urgent chalenge they have.
Of course not having a strong home carrier is severe handicap. Now it will be up to LH to show what they want to do with Brussels Airlines : develop or swallow them up ?
Again as a Belgian and an aviation fan I'm not proud of the way things go there.
Rgds.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Of course not having a strong home carrier is severe handicap.
I also believe a lot can be explained by that.

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

fretn wrote: i've flown them, and i've flown qatar.

The level of most gulf carriers is very high, i know that emirates isn't a bad carrier ;).
Depending upon departure airport and destination you have a different service with EK, 2 or 3 class etc....If you fly out of DUS you'll fly the older A330's. Next time try CDG, a B777-300ER or A380.

fretn

Post by fretn »

1V1 wrote:
fretn wrote: i've flown them, and i've flown qatar.

Depending upon departure airport and destination you have a different service with EK, 2 or 3 class etc....If you fly out of DUS you'll fly the older A330's. Next time try CDG, a B777-300ER or A380.
it was LHR ;)

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

liege-bierset wrote: Look at Schiphol, how do we explain their succes when Brussels National (Capital of Europe) looks as a dwarfish in the world.
Brussels being the EU's capital doens't mean much... More important is how much international companies you have in the catchment area of your airport, and the mercantile Dutch have a far bigger advantage in this matter then us.
Brussels is important for the EU, but that means a lot of smallbodies and even regional jets in stead of wide bodies.
And do not underestimate the influence of a strong home carrier. AMS has KL, BRU had Sabena, do the maths...

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Can't believe some of U don't want Emirates to come to BRU! Common Emirates would mean tons of 1 stop destinations! Who on eqrth likes to drive 100 km + by car each way to get on a plane! As for Qatar or Etihad they have a lot less destinations than Emirates does!

fretn

Post by fretn »

Emirates will at some day fly to brussels.
They have a huge order book and they need to fly those planes somewhere.

eurojet

Post by eurojet »

Anyone who is indifferent about the quality of EK in Y long-haul should try the likes of LH or IB in Y class long-haul, and then afterwards tell which he/she enjoyed most. I did EK FRA-DXB-SIN this year in Y, and had a better flight experience than C long-haul on TK this year. Catering, IFE, seat comfort, cabin staff at EK in Y-class are very hard to beat, maybe only be Singapore Airlines and the likes .... Price/Quality-wise EK is very hard to beat

summersso

Post by summersso »

Absolutely agree eurojet. Flew DEL-DXB-VIE a couple of weeks ago in Y - very pleasant experience, certainly compares favourably with old LH 747-400s with no PTV, let alone EK's excellent "ICE" system.

I must add that I do wonder how a daily flight from VIE-DXB on a 777-300ER is feasible and a connection to Brussels is not. It can't be purely about point-to-point and the number of Belgians in Dubai - DXB is becoming a major transfer hub and a good place to break a trip/change planes/stretch your legs on the way to Australasia South/SE Asia, or Southern Africa.

fretn

Post by fretn »

eurojet wrote:Anyone who is indifferent about the quality of EK in Y long-haul should try the likes of LH or IB in Y class long-haul, and then afterwards tell which he/she enjoyed most. I did EK FRA-DXB-SIN this year in Y, and had a better flight experience than C long-haul on TK this year. Catering, IFE, seat comfort, cabin staff at EK in Y-class are very hard to beat, maybe only be Singapore Airlines and the likes .... Price/Quality-wise EK is very hard to beat
but there's a huuge leap between those examples ;)

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Vinnie-Winnie wrote:Can't believe some of U don't want Emirates to come to BRU! Common Emirates would mean tons of 1 stop destinations! Who on eqrth likes to drive 100 km + by car each way to get on a plane! As for Qatar or Etihad they have a lot less destinations than Emirates does!
I already explained myself... As an aviation enthousiast I would rather see a more diverse number of companies at BRU then one megacarrier. EK coming to BRU would mean our chances to see at least some Asian carriers shrink to almost zero...

regi

Post by regi »

My flight experience with Etihad to Asia was much more pleasant than with Emirates. And also not 8 hour waiting at Dubai...
There is more space ( length and width ) better service on board, larger luggage allowance, shorter check in time )
And forget it that we at Brussels will get the cheap tickets. BIAC asks too much.

My first naive idea was "let them come, why not". But than a member launched the idea that because of Emirates, Etihad will loose Asian connections. And that is something that I don't like.