Mallorca based charter airline Futura ceasing operations

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Mavke

Mallorca based charter airline Futura ceasing operations

Post by Mavke »

Hi all,

Agian very sad news in the Aviation World

Futura Ceasing Operations at Midnight

source : http://www.ultimahora.es/segunda.dba?-1+7+446613

Kenny

luchtzak

Re: Futura Ceasing Operations

Post by luchtzak »

Mallorca based charter airline Futura will cease operations as from midnight after economical difficulties, Futura tried to make a deal with its creditors but the Spanish civil aviation was forced to cancel Futura's flight licence.

2 weeks ago Futura's management suggested a new business plan for 2009: temporary cancellations, 130 lay-offs during winter season and a reduction of wage to 1000€ per month (for everyone including pilots).

1500 people are working for Futura.

Note: that's what I could translate from the Spanish text, please excuse me (and correct me) if I made an error in translating the text!

luchtzak

Re: Mallorca based charter airline Futura ceasing operations

Post by luchtzak »

From the website http://www.futura-aer.com/ which is very hard to reach:

Turnover ~ 334,6 millons euros (2007)
Passengers ~ 3,7 million people transported in 2007
Fleet ~ 38 aircrafts of the new B737 generation

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Their website indeed is very slow, but I've managed to get to their press room: no official announcement on it.

Strange that no other source then this one mentions it. Nothing on TVE text pages at this very moment. Nothing on Google newspages from Spain.

Mavke, I know you are a regular visitor here, but how reliable is that source?

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Report on the grounding from TVE (TV Espana):

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20080908/su ... 2406.shtml

would be great if someone could translate the headlines into English...

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

giocook wrote:Now also confirmed by HLN
http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/1901/reisnieuw ... aagd.dhtml
- hundreds, perhaps thousands clients from Dutch touroperator TUI will face delays because of financial problems at Futura

- Futura flies for ArkeFly (= TUI The Netherlands) with 2 planes

- replacement has been found, but delays are unevitable

- for today (Monday), ArkeFly has 800 pax on Futura-planes

giocook

Post by giocook »

It will be also a problem for TUI belgium, Futura did also flights for them.

JAFflyer

Post by JAFflyer »

Jup, FUA was operating 2 and sometimes 3 aircraft for JAF, the same as with Arkefly.
Delays will come out of this, but really no advance notice was given. Just a little warning yesterday evening.

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

JAFflyer wrote:Jup, FUA was operating 2 and sometimes 3 aircraft for JAF, the same as with Arkefly.
Delays will come out of this, but really no advance notice was given. Just a little warning yesterday evening.
Luchtzak Spotters Database mentions that 1 x FUA 734 and 1 x FUA 738 are used daily by Jetairfly:

https://www.aviation24.be/spottersdatabase/2008/september/

JAFflyer

Post by JAFflyer »

LX-LGX wrote:
JAFflyer wrote:Jup, FUA was operating 2 and sometimes 3 aircraft for JAF, the same as with Arkefly.
Luchtzak Spotters Database mentions that 1 x FUA 734 and 1 x FUA 738 are used daily by Jetairfly:

https://www.aviation24.be/spottersdatabase/2008/september/
Yes, but on busier days (eg Weekends), 3 aircraft are used (EI-DXO, EC-IZG and EC-KIN).

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

communiqué from Jetair, sorry in Dutch

De Spaanse autoriteiten hebben gisteren met onmiddellijke ingang de vlieglicentie van de Spaanse
luchtvaartmaatschappij Futura ingetrokken. Oorzaak is de moeilijke financiële situatie van de
maatschappij. Als gevolg hiervan zijn de Futura-luchtvaartactiviteiten om middernacht stopgezet.
Futura voerde ook vluchten uit in opdracht van touroperator Jetair. De geschrapte vluchten zullen nu
deels worden uitgevoerd door toestellen van Jetairfly. Andere vluchten zullen door andere
luchtvaartmaatschappijen gebeuren.
Tijdens de zomerperiode worden dagelijks 17 vliegtuigen ingezet voor reizigers van Jetair, VIP Selection en
Sunjets, waarvan o.m. 3 toestellen van Futura.
De abrupte aankondiging van de stopzetting kan in de komende dagen en weken mogelijk gevolgen hebben
voor sommige reizigers.
Twee vluchten van vandaag zullen hierdoor met een vertraging worden uitgevoerd.
Intussen werkt de Belgische luchtvaartmaatschappij Jetairfly aan een oplossing om de hinder tot een minimum
te beperken. Eventuele wijzigingen aan het vluchtenschema zullen door Jetair op voorhand aan de reizigers
gemeld worden.
Jetair wil benadrukken
- dat de vlieglicentie van Futura werd ingetrokken omwille van financiële redenen. De veiligheid van de Futuravluchten
is nooit ter discussie geweest ;
- dat het nieuws van de intrekking van de vergunning dit weekend abrupt en onverwacht gebeurde ;
- dat de eigen reisorganisatie en de eigen luchtvaartmaatschappij Jetairfly financieel zeer gezond zijn.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

It seems that Jetairfly has no luck with its partners: Futura, Ankair, Inter.

Time to fly more independent?

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Today's JAF1093/1094 to/from Djerba and Tunis was supposed to be with 737. Probably a Futura, as EQP has been changed into 767.

ETD to DJE/TUN was 06h05 - left at 06h38

ETA from DJE/TUN is 14h50 - now announced for 15h10

(Today's JAF103 to Punta Cana - 767 - is delayed from 10h25 till 13h25)

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Seems they've filed for protection against bankruptcy:

TVE: "Futura inicia el proceso de 'suspensión de pagos' y Aviación Civil le exige informes sobre la seguridad".

http://www.rtve.es/noticias/20080908/fu ... 2526.shtml

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

Unfortunately I don't speak Spanish and I can't check the translation above. Could someone confirm the idea of reducing salaries to 1.000 EUR/month ? Does that mean that every employee would have received his/her salary reduced by 1000 EUR, or that the salary would be 1.000 EUR ?

Strange idea (sounds unrealistic and illegal), I guess it's the first option but I'd like to make sure. Thanks !

JAFflyer

Post by JAFflyer »

LX-LGX wrote:Today's JAF1093/1094 to/from Djerba and Tunis was supposed to be with 737. Probably a Futura, as EQP has been changed into 767.
Flight was originally planned on 737 but this has changed already in August, so this is not a result from the Futura problems, just a simple capacity increase.

fc82091

Post by fc82091 »

TCAS_climb wrote:Unfortunately I don't speak Spanish and I can't check the translation above. Could someone confirm the idea of reducing salaries to 1.000 EUR/month ? Does that mean that every employee would have received his/her salary reduced by 1000 EUR, or that the salary would be 1.000 EUR ?

Strange idea (sounds unrealistic and illegal), I guess it's the first option but I'd like to make sure. Thanks !
maybe its on the total salary cost so if you cost the company 5000 euro a month it be reduces to 4000 meaning you'll lose around 300euro a month as employe

Mirror

Post by Mirror »

Atlantis wrote:It seems that Jetairfly has no luck with its partners: Futura, Ankair, Inter.

Only Futura flew for Jetair.
Ankair and Inter were operating for Corendon.

Grtz
Mirror

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

brusselsairport wrote:
Atlantis wrote:It seems that Jetairfly has no luck with its partners: Futura, Ankair, Inter.

Only Futura flew for Jetair.
Ankair and Inter were operating for Corendon.

Grtz
Inter Airlines was flying for Jetairfly as partner two-three years ago for their flights to Turkey.
Ankair was the new partner for Jetairfly at the beginning of this summer season. After a couple of weeks no flights for Ankair any more and Freebird was again the most important carrier/partner for Turkey.