SN adding medium haul aircrafts

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

cyrano

Post by cyrano »

The news has been confirmed yesterday by the management to us, cockpit crew B air. :shock:

Avro

Post by Avro »

Any news on when the management wants to have those additional airplanes ? Maybe for te start of the summer schedule already ?

Chris

cyrano

Post by cyrano »

That's the purpose!

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

A spokesman for Brussels Airlines in "Le Soir" this morning (page 24) :

- yesterday, the flight to Marseilles has been cancelled, for lack of pilots. The pilot was ill, the reserve crew had previously been sent to Bordeaux to fetch a plane on "tech", and there was no other pilot available to man the Marseilles flight .
- the spokesman for Brussels Airlines admits there is a lack of pilots, at Brussels Airlines same as at all the Belgian companies.

- to remedy at that situation, Brussels Airlines plan to buy three new 737 or A320, because :
a) the pilots think that the Avros are less pleasant to fly, and that they offer less scope for their future (few other airlines still fly with them).
b) some of the Avros will soon be sent to Africa, for the new airline Brussels airlines is setting up.

- the operational situation at Brussels Airlines is quite normal, save for a few exceptional occurences like thursday. The company is recruiting a lot of young pilots, and the problem of the lack of pilots would be solved by the beginning of next year (aldus the spokesman).

BrightCedars

Offer and demand

Post by BrightCedars »

Well, it is a sad situation, yet logical. Belgian pilots - and all Belgian workers for that matter -

winglets

Post by winglets »

Pikey

Post by Pikey »

To be honoust, I don't think they will lease 3 medium haul planes to please the pilots. OMG what a crap we have to read in the papers. How many pilots will benefit from this 3 a/c?
BTW; Crew of MRS yesterday was not sick. Problem was caused by a flight who had to divert to BOD the day before. Yet 1 crew stuck. And indeed no reserves available.
I read they have a lot of initiatives to attain their pilots, can't wait to hear them...

Cheers,
P.

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

In the article they say they are going to buy them.

3 aircraft represents a little 6% of the whole fleet, that means around 25 of the nearly 250 Avro pilots are in the line for an upgrade, which is great.

Instead of rasing the salaries, B.Air invested in something that can motivate pilots, and at the same time bring B.air more revenue. Not a bad idea
Fly4hours, making the path to airline pilot affordable to all

Pikey

Post by Pikey »

I think rating is nice but what pays the bills, the salary. They will have to increase the net salary, that will keep a lot of pilots here. That in addition to the 3 extra planes is nice. Only 3 planes extra won't keep a lot of pilots who hesitate to stay or go.
BTW most of the captains/fo's leaving have an Avro rating, to start on Boeing/Airbus at other companies so current rating seems not that important at this moment.

Regards

C_J

Post by C_J »

Pikey wrote:To be honoust, I don't think they will lease 3 medium haul planes to please the pilots. OMG what a crap we have to read in the papers. How many pilots will benefit from this 3 a/c?

I read they have a lot of initiatives to attain their pilots, can't wait to hear them...
P.
Well, it is at least a sign and something young, ambitious pilots can reach for. And even if this order has nothing to do with pilot attraction (probably), it's still a good thing for Brussels Airlines. Things are moving! Let us hope more initiatives will be taken (Bflex reformation, fleet replacement, ...).

Pikey

Post by Pikey »

That is a fact, and indeed a good thing that Bru Air is evolving.

Cheers

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Pikey wrote: OMG what a crap we have to read in the papers.
The alleged crap was Geert Sciot's.

(The real name of the great scot was in a newspaper who sells some 100.000 copies and is read by 300.000 people on average, but is seemingly not allowed to be read on Luchtzak...)

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

so current rating seems not that important at this moment.
True, but hours on type can also be interesting.
It depends on what you wish to do in your future career.

I think there are other solutions being processed too.

Thumbs up :thumbsup:

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Someone in particular is of course going to say that "as usual I have not understood anything...". I honestly don't want to be a spoilsport (spelbederver/trouble-fête) but b.air announced today that : our pilots fly with aircraft with a limited capacity. This is not only less pleasant, but limits opportunities to move to a career elsewhere.
Since when is an airline buying new aircraft so that its pilots, later on, can move to a career with another airline ?
I'm afraid it might just be an announcement to appease (paaien) pilots in order to be able to retain them.
And BUYING three new medium haul Airbusses or Boeings if they have not yet decided on their fleet renewal, seems illogical. Unless they have decided or are on the verge of deciding in favour for Airbus or Boeing for their fleet renewal, buying three new medium haul aircraft does not make sense. It would make sense to (dry) lease them until a firm decision is made with regards to the fleet renewal (was it not supposed to be announced by next summer ?).
All this gives me an uneasy feeling about this announcement. It does not sound credible to me.
In favor of quality air travel.

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

And BUYING three new medium haul Airbusses or Boeings if they have not yet decided on their fleet renewal, seems illogical.
I think the A319's/B733's are gonna stay with the airline longer than the Avro's, hence the decision to add aircraft in this size category, and it wouldn't change alot whether they would buy them or lease them, only that buying would be more interesting on a long run.

brussels airlines

Post by brussels airlines »

If they chose the Airbus A320 now above the B737, then I'm pretty sure when they renew the fleet, they chose Airbus as well.

Avro

Post by Avro »

And BUYING three new medium haul Airbusses or Boeings if they have not yet decided on their fleet renewal, seems illogical.
There are certainly "older" B737's which can be bought for a good deal, so yes it could make sense to buy planes instead of leasing them. All I hope is they won't get planes à la OO-TUC if you see what I mean ;-)

Chris

C_J

Post by C_J »

Well this makes a fleet of 16 B737's and A319's. This could be an appropriate number for the higher density routes (where other low-cost airlines operate). And then the Avro/Bae replacement for low density routes.

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

Hi Fly4hours : you've got a point : the A319s and 737s are probably going to stay in b.air's fleet for several years and as Avro also rightly says : there are probably second hand aircraft available. It's true, I have not seen anywhere in the press b.air saying they would buy "new" aircraft.
But this still leaves me with b.air's statement saying they are going to acquire these aircraft to please their pilots and give them opportunities to move to a career elsewhere. Strange, isn't it ?
In favor of quality air travel.

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

Avro wrote: All I hope is they won't get planes à la OO-TUC if you see what I mean ;-)

Chris
This will never stop... so ridiculous.