Brussels Airlines fleet renewal: announcement next summer.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Brussels Airlines fleet renewal: announcement next summer.

Post by Atlantis »

According to De Tijd and Express.be, Brussels Airlines will announce before next summer '08 a total fleet renewal of 50 aircraft's.

The first who have to leave the fleet are the Bae's and Avro's. Sukhoi is one of the candidates, or better say, Sukhoi presented itself to Brussels Airlines for this renewal.

With the next decennium, the fleet renewal has to be finished. So, you can ask yourself: will those planes new ones or leased aircraft's?

But still interesting.

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

I think Embraer would be a good choise..

Yaroslav

Post by Yaroslav »

I would love to see those Sukhoi's as part of Brussels Airlines fleet.
Malyshev Yaroslav
"Avec l'avion, nous avons appris la ligne droite" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Did Sukhoi ever visit BRU with a demo aircraft to present it to SN?

I guess not.

Obviously SN management may have viewed the aircraft elsewhere.
Last edited by Established02 on 22 Jun 2007, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

Will the 737s and the A319s be also retired from the fleet ?

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

Established02 wrote:Did Sukhoi ever visit BRU with a demo aircraft to present it to SN?

I guess not.
But an Embraer ERJ-170 visited BRU in 2004 for demo to SN Brussels Airlines.

I saw a pic on airliners.net

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

Please no sukhoi aircraft, let's us hold it with the western build aircraft..
More expensiver, but saver i think

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

SabenaForever wrote:Please no sukhoi aircraft, let's us hold it with the western build aircraft..
More expensiver, but saver i think
The Russian Aviation and Space Agency (Rosaviakosmos) and the Boeing Company agreed the joint development and marketing of the Russian Regional Jet and Sukhoi, Ilyushin and Boeing formally signed a joint industrial agreement in July 2001.

Just put a Boeing sticker on the plane ...

Also: Leibherr Aerospace, based in Toulouse, and the Voscod Design Centre in Russia are responsible for the RRJ's flight control system. Leibherr is also developing the air control and conditioning system.

and also: B/E Aerospace in Florida has designed the cabin layouts including the sidewall and ceiling configurations, baggage bins, passenger service panels, reading lights, crew and passenger oxygen systems, seats, services and cabin management systems.

http://www.aerospace-technology.com/pro ... ml#sukhoi1

Besides, western (especially the American) spacetechnology is based on Russian technology, bought from the Russians ... . And a Lada keeps on driving, even in nordic temperatues!
Last edited by blackhawk on 22 Jun 2007, 22:10, edited 4 times in total.

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

Established02 wrote:Did Sukhoi ever visit BRU with a demo aircraft to present it to SN?

I guess not.

Obviously SN management may have viewed the aircraft elsewhere.
It would be difficult since that one is not flying yet (AFAIK unless it is very new!).

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

Let us compare it..., i think the winner would come out of these one's

-Airbus 318: http://www.airbus.com/en/aircraftfamilies/a320/a318/
(to expensive i think)

-Embraer 170-195: http://www.embraer.com/english/content/aeronaves/
(for me the best replacer)

-Bombardier CRJ 700-100: http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?id= ... 3_6_1.html
(maybe to few pax could be transported)

I must placed it, but I'am not a fan of it!! :?

-Sukhoi Superjet: http://www.sukhoi.org/eng/planes/projects/rrj/

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

I don't need an expensive study to know that the Belgian average pax will not like to fly in Russian planes (this is indeed an understatement).

I hope Brussels Airlines will resist to the spectacular prices for the first European carrier who opens the market for them.

Russia is far too corrupt, compared to our standards, and their products are not seen as reliable. Including Lada.
http://www.transparency.org/policy_rese ... s/cpi/2006

TWA

Post by TWA »

lowcost Flybe flies the EMB195 and it seats even more pax than a RJ100. A very comfortable plane and following Flybe staff : extremely economical.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I think Embraer would be a good solution for short haul.

What about medium and long haul? Some Boeings and Airbus, or one of them?

Boeing: B737-700, B737-800
Airbus: A319 and A320, A330-200 and A330-300 or 340

Yaroslav

Post by Yaroslav »

First: Could you explain me please what corruption has to do with aircraft manufacturing (PS: Look at Charleroi)?
Second: I flew many times on Tupolev Tu-154's and I'm still here to write this post.
Third: Somebody said here that belgians are even afraid to fly a L-1011, so well what could you ask (considering myself as a belgian also I think that not everybody is like this)?
Fourth: Tupolev 154 was more comfortable than an ERJ-145 when I flew both of them.
And finally fifth: The comment about the Lada is 100% true (believe someone who drove it).

-Sorry if parts of this post are off-topic-
Malyshev Yaroslav
"Avec l'avion, nous avons appris la ligne droite" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

JAFflyer

Post by JAFflyer »

CRJ is too small I think (you can barely walk around in the cabin)
A318 is indeed too expensive
RRJ or superjet 100, whatever you want to call it, it remains Russian and I'm sure they will loose pax for this. Sukhoi doesn't have the reputation like boeing, airbus or embraer, that's a simple fact. By this I don't say that this isn't a good airplane.
Embraer's seem to be the right choice.

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Yaroslav wrote:Could you explain me please what corruption has to do with aircraft manufacturing?
Sorry, I thaught it was obvious. This annual and reliable Corruption Perceptions Index shows that people believe that a lot of impossible things become possible in Russia, if the request is supported by hard currency. It's a perception, and this negative score in the CPI counts for every aspect of Russian society, including Russian industry - and thus aviation. Like we say in Antwerp: I don't think it's all kosher.

On place 156 (on 163) of the CPI, we find the DRC. Do we trust their planes, their aviation, their ATC, their CAA, their fuel supply?

Yaroslav wrote:I flew many times on Tupolev Tu-154's and I'm still here to write this post.
Quote from wikipedia.org: "...since it was first delivered for service, 63 TU-154s have been lost to accidents, including 29 non-fatal crashes, which is above the average for the comparable Boeing aircraft..."

Yaroslav wrote:Somebody said here that belgians are even afraid to fly a L-1011, so well what could you ask (considering myself as a belgian also I think that not everybody is like this)?
If these passengers would have been able to choose between the JAF 767 and the Luzair 1011 to fly to Cuba, how many would have choosen for the Tristar? Silly question, indeed, as the passengers couldn't choose: it was the Tristar or no holiday. If Brussels Airlines goes for the Sukhoi, passengers do have the choice because they see the time table before they book and pay. And I can guarantuee you: many pax will prefer an Airbus from Lufthansa or a Fokker from KLM to a Sukhoi from Brussels Airlines.

Yaroslav wrote:Tupolev 154 was more comfortable than an ERJ-145 when I flew both of them.
Compare the comfort of the TU-154 to that of a similar plane please, f.e. the A320. Including engine noise inside the cabin.

Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Yaroslav wrote:If Brussels Airlines goes for the Sukhoi, passengers do have the choice because they see the time table before they book and pay. And I can guarantuee you: many pax will prefer an Airbus from Lufthansa or a Fokker from KLM to a Sukhoi from Brussels Airlines.
99% of the passengers don't give crap about the type of aircraft. Ticketprice, frequent flyer miles, schedules and passenger service are important. All the rest is for aviation enthousiasts since the average passenger doesn't know the difference between a 738, a 319 or a E175. If you book on the website, you don't even see the type of aicraft you're flying with; and the question 'what type of bird is it?' is seldom heard in travelagencies. As long as comfort and safety records are OK, people are happy...

BTW, the E175 has a rather small hold for luggage and cargo and is a real bitch to keep within trim limits... :)
I'm in love with my lust, burning angelwings to dust, I wish I had your angel tonight...
www.myrre.be

Spotter 22

Post by Spotter 22 »

Indeed, most passengers only care about the price. They may show and express their discontent, but every time they book again as the ticket price is their main concern...For example Ryanair has been chosen several times by passengers as least favourite airline and every year pax numbers go up and up.
So maybe they only loose a handful aviation freaks who don't want to fly a Sukhoi for sentimental reasons...They won't care :roll:

peacemaker

Post by peacemaker »

Embraer would be a good choice i think, on their website they say the 170 has brake even with 51% of the seats, but this also depends on how long the flight is :wink:

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

for crew and maintenance commonality, i would definitelly go for Airbus,the A330 will stay for a long time,the A319-320 is a very economical A/C,better fuel burn and lower Direct Maintenance Cost than the B737...