Airlines to introduce rear-facing seats??

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

earthman

Airlines to introduce rear-facing seats??

Post by earthman »

I just found this article, claiming that some airlines might introduce rear-facing seats in economy class! The layout allows more seats to be squeezed in, while at the same time providing more legroom.

ryanCX

Post by ryanCX »

Sounds like a great idea. I don't mind it much in trains, so probably ppl will get used to it in planes as well even though it will be a lot more different.
I'm not entirely convinced passengers will be provided 4 more inches of legroom. Not that it can't be achieved, but rather, will the airlines offer it?

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

It's not new
I remember long ago being in an aircraft in a rear facing seat.
I think it was a Trident... or an Ilyuchin18 .. one of them.
Indeed it makes no big difference for the passenger.

Stij

Post by Stij »

I remember flying an NFD ATR 42 in a rear viewing seat. It was fun as we were 4.

I think this idea is very good! No more problems when a Sumo wrestler tries to squeeze into the seat next to you!

Kind regards,

Stij

jumpjet

Post by jumpjet »

Mty first ever flight was on a BAC 1-11 and it was configured so that the two rows by the over wing exit faced each other to give a greater exit route..and I was sitting on the rear facing row. As it was my first flight I thought this quite nromal and didnt feel strange at all..and was quite good to face my travelling companion and chat

I also flew out of London City on a Dehavilland Dash somehting some years ago and there was a forward bulk head with seats facing back...and again I had one of those.

On that occasion I cant say I felt any strangeness about facing backwards compared to facing forward, other than the takeoff and landing sensations were different.

I would be quite happy to fly facing backwards - especaily if it gave my rather long legs more space.

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

Will they sell the aft-facing seats for a higher price due the increased safety factor ?
:lol:

chunk

Post by chunk »

I am sure I have flown on Southwest 737's with rear facing seats a few years ago so it isn't a new thing. Not sure if they still have them though but i remember thinking it was a bit strange.....must be interesting during a fast climb after take off.

DFW

Post by DFW »

Yes, Southwest has rear-facing seats behind bulkheads. It's a rather odd feeling during takeout. You don't feel it on landing because the descent angle is more shallow.
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly an airplane?

Stij

Post by Stij »

Aren't rear facing seats pretty standard on Business Jets? I have to ask because I've never flown one in my life. ;-)

Cheers,

Stij

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

Continental Airlines had rear facing seats on its fleet of MD 80 aircraft as well.

Not a new idea, just a revisitation of an old idea ;)
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

What the article in The Times does not show is a picture of the new seats. A row of three would have one seat looking to the front, one to the back and one to the front again. In the next row it would be the reverse. This is something no one has ever experimented in the past. It does not look very enticing.

But indeed it saves space and would enable airlines to pack even more cattle, huh, passengers, in the economy cabin...

Will Ryanair be the first airline to buy these seats?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

sn26567 wrote: cattle, huh, passengers,
You probably mean "self loading cargo"

Cheers mates, weekend has arrived and it's sunny in Belgium!

Stij

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

Which airline will be the first to put upside down seats on the ceiling?

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

Stij wrote:Aren't rear facing seats pretty standard on Business Jets? I have to ask because I've never flown one in my life. ;-)

Cheers,

Stij
Business jets generally have a mix of front and rear facing seats, depending on the model and customer order.

Aspirapolvere

Here's a link to a photo

Post by Aspirapolvere »

DFW

Post by DFW »

The only benefit I can see is if you happen to be sitting next to Gisele Bundgren, you'd be facing her the entire flight. But since she doesn't flight steerage class ..... :D
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly an airplane?

foxtrot_lima_yankee

Post by foxtrot_lima_yankee »

Check airliners.net on the best of last 48 hours pictures and you will see a British Airways 747 new business class with seats arranged in both directions.

Impressive

SFo

Post by SFo »

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getA ... emID=17182

Does not seem so bad. If o top they could provide a better separation between the seats (larger headrest earlobes?) it would give you much more privacy that the standard set up.

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

BA's Club World has had rear facing seats for years now, apparently they are fine to be in. This new layout does look horribly claustrophobic though.

earthman

Post by earthman »

What I really don't understand is how this arrangement is supposed to give more legroom. Is the idea that by adding an extra seat in each row the distance between the rows can be increased?

And you still have to fight over the armrests.