Ryanair to go long-haul

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

CXRules

Ryanair to go long-haul

Post by CXRules »

Ryanair intends to launch a no-frills long-haul airline around the turn of the decade serving five or six US cities from its 23 European bases and offering fares as low as $12.

Fleet of up to 50 B787 or A350.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... of-50.html

foxtrot_lima_yankee

Post by foxtrot_lima_yankee »

WOW good news!!

As was told recently on these forums, I start to believe that EBCI might also play an important role in this open skies deal!!

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

The trans-Atlantic airline temperature will sure get hotter! It will be interesting to see how the traditional operators react.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Not a surprise but still happy like it was a surprise :)

Very good news !

TWA

Post by TWA »

50 extra wide bodies across the Atlantic + long hours' drive from secondary airports ---> good bye rescue plan against global warming....

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

Fares as low as $12 across the Atlantic, that will never happen. :lol: :lol:
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

RC20

Post by RC20 »

Don't be so quick to dismiss it.

As I understand it, Ryan Air fare just covers the cost of write the ticket (processing it as it were).

After that you pay a tire wear fee, a seat fee, air to breath fee, a bathroom use fee etc.

Of course people are so excited to get the bargain, they ignore the rest of the costs (see note).

By the time you pay all the required fees, you have a regular ticket price. Then you get to pay for an extras, gambling, drink etc.

Failure to give them the right rate of return and you seat drops out of the airplane (of course there is a ship following the flight path recovering seats so they can be reused.

Its a grand way to run an airline.

Note: Some years back they had one of those ticket mistakes where you could fly from Alaska to Puerto Rico for $120 (or some such).
Before they could pull it, word spread like wildfire. One of the people I worked with insisted I had to get it.
I have traveled a fair amount, and I have been to Puerto Rico. When I told her that car rental was mandatory to get around, and extremely expensive, she dismissed it. When I told her there were only two types of places to stay (run down and not in good areas of town, and really expensive) she dismissed that. When I told her that food was the same (bad or very expensive, and sometime expensive was bad as well( she dismissed it).
Off she and her boyfriend went, it cost them a fortune for the week or 10 days they were there, and a lot of time spent a lot of it trying to rent a car, find a room, and decent places to eat.
So, give someone a bargain up front and you can hook a lot of them. I was out there with a friend, we had a great time, but he knew the territory because he was working out there, and he had a good circle of friends and acquaintances to clue us in.

beaucaire

Post by beaucaire »

I don't see Ryanair ordering 50 large aircraft so soon..!
Delivery slots for Boeing 787 are filled until 2013 and the A350 will come alive only 2012 with massive orders building up .
Should EK and LH place an order for A350 or B787,the availability situation will worsen.
That thing will not fly before at least 2013.....

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Most interesting !
I note the new transatlantic carrier will be entirely separate from Ryanair; there will be a premium class; it won't be before 2010.
More in "Flight International" next week...
Why not ? Let's wait and see !

FD-X

Post by FD-X »

What is the length of the runways of the Ryanair bases? Stansted, Charleroi, Hahn, Girona etc. Is there, except for Stansted, another base where such planes could land?
What worries me is that a very similar article about Ryanair (I do not remember where) was published on April 1.......

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

FD-X wrote: What worries me is that a very similar article about Ryanair (I do not remember where) was published on April 1.......
It was about Ryanair setting a base at AMS, I think. This time, it looks more real : "Flight International" is rather a serious magazine.

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

Is there, except for Stansted, another base where such planes could land?
Dublin, Shannon, Prestwick, Madrid....
By the time you pay all the required fees, you have a regular ticket price.
Not true. Every few weeks I fly Ryanair Charleroi - Shannon: normally I pay a total of less than 30 euros for a return ticket, everything included.

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

That'll be the day... serving five or six US cities from its 23 European bases.

star alliance

Post by star alliance »

Hello everybody,

Of course all this is very intersting news. But does anyone know wich routes this "Transatlantic Ryanair" will fly? Maybe there is a long haul future for Brussels South Airport? Lets hope so!

Star alliance.

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

O'Leary announces fares as from 12 UKP. That's a nice statement for an article in a magazine, but such publicity will be soon forbitten by all EU member states, who have to adapt their own consumer law to the EU consumer laws. Public tariffs indeed MUST include all taxes and surcharges the consumer has to pay. Thus airport tax, security tax, whatever tax.

Number one in Ryanair's top profit margin is the no refund policy / cancelled flights. Will people still book months in advance, knowing that they will not only loose the 15 euro's from the ticket, but also the 60 euro's from the taxes?

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

Well, well, 2010 is quite some time to go and as has been pointed out, the planes mentioned by MoL (A350, B787) would most likely not be available for him before 2013 or 2014 anyway. so lets wait and see. 8)

However, this time he is not first. I think with the takeover of LTU by Air Berlin this will be the first LCC to offer transatlantic and other intercontinental routes, so Ryanair had to react to this, especially as their efforts to take over Aer Lingus seem to be not succesful.

10 Euro or 12$ or whatever is of course nonsense, if they would offer any such price at all it would be for 2 seats in each aircraft and only if you book them on 29 February :P ...

My only experience with FR so far is: We tried to book in December 06 a return flight from Frankfurt Hahn (which has by the way a runway probably long enough for the transatlantic flights) to ANYWHERE in Ireland (Shannon, Kerry, Dublin, etc.) for end of March / early April with FR. Most flights were fully booked already at that time (that was at least what the Internet booking machine did say :roll: ), others would have been above 250 Euro return per person (incl. tax but PLUS baggage, PLUS, PLUS, PLUS). After checking Lufthansa and Aer Lingus, BOTH of them were HALF :shock: :shock: the price than Ryanair, still available without any problems and they fly from Frankfurt Rhein-Main (FRA, the 'real' Frankfurt) to Dublin. So we ended up with Aer Lingus, because their schedule did fit best for us.

It seems to me, all this is mainly a lot of hot air again from MoL, but he knows his marketing tricks and it is quite likely thousands of Europeans will now just wait until the first FR transatlantic flights will be available in 2015 and they will than start booking those flights like :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: (censored) even the price will be 1000 Euro instead of 10 Euro, because it is FR and FR has to be cheap :wink: :wink:
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

beaucaire wrote:I don't see Ryanair ordering 50 large aircraft so soon..!
Delivery slots for Boeing 787 are filled until 2013 and the A350 will come alive only 2012 with massive orders building up .
Should EK and LH place an order for A350 or B787,the availability situation will worsen.
That thing will not fly before at least 2013.....
Indeed but they still could do it with B737 ER?

The pros would be fleet commonality, faster availabilty, no airport facility/runway lenghth condition, plus reduced capacity welcome in the startup phase.
The possible cons could be lower revenue generated and limited range.

Still IMO, this option cannot be completely ruled out in the first stage of operations.

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

People you have to realize that flying across the Atlantic isnt the same as flying within Europe. Theres a great deal of expense involved along with extra and expensive training. They will never have discounts as deep as suggested. It will never happen.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

"they will never walk on the moon" ....

I dont believe in such cheap tickets either, but a europe-NY for 200 euro would be already fantastic !

i'm not an expert, but i dont see why flying from dublin to NY is harder than flying from oslo to casablanca. (but again, i'm not an expert).

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

Acid-drop wrote:i'm not an expert, but i dont see why flying from dublin to NY is harder than flying from oslo to casablanca. (but again, i'm not an expert).
Theres that small body of water called the Atlantic ocean and a lack of suitable landing spots in case of emergency. That makes a big difference. Im not expert, but i do posses common sense.