China plans to build jumbo jets

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

boeing797

China plans to build jumbo jets

Post by boeing797 »

The market for jumbo jets may be large enough for the second player? Very interesting news.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/c ... 7B4A3EB%7D

David747

Post by David747 »

From reading this, it seems the jumbo jets that China wants to build will be for domestic use only.

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

In order to succesfully market planes in the West, China will need to develop a good marketing strategy AND excellent product support (parts, training, customer service, etc.). This will not be easy nor inexpensive. They can develop new planes, but they must have the confidence of commercial airlines that the product is reliable and maintainable at Western labor rates.

boeing797

Post by boeing797 »

David747 wrote:From reading this, it seems the jumbo jets that China wants to build will be for domestic use only.
Airbus will have to take this into account regarding to A380 sales. If China builds its own jumbo jets for domestic use in the next 10 years they will not buy many A380's.

I don't think China intends to build for domestic use only. Yeah first for domestic use but then later they will export.

boomer535

Post by boomer535 »

How big a Jumbo are we talking about? The story says "more then 150 seats". That covers anything from a 737 to an A380. Maybe they mean widebody like a 787 or A350, this is where the money is.

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

I dont think potential A380 sales in China will be hurt by this. A380 is on its way into service. A chinese plane is not.
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

I suspect that China will move into the narrowbody market first (150-200 seats) and in 15 years or so attempt to get into the twin aisle market. They have a large market base (big country, big population) into which they can gain expereince without competititon (the government can dictate sales).

Entering the western market will be more difficult.

boeing797

Image of jumbo jet

Post by boeing797 »

Check this site for more info, but I doubt the info is true. You will need to register to get in.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Ch ... 887-1.html

ElcoB

Post by ElcoB »

Indeed, somebody in China is dreaming loudly:
:arrow: China-made jumbo aircraft to be assembled in Shanghai, Xi'an
The provided picture is a AN-124 !

Well, they just started assembling their first ARJ-21 :arrow: Picture.
And even this plane is largely created in other countries.
The ARJ21 will be built using tooling which was originally provided by the McDonnell Douglas company for licence production of the MD-90 in China. Because of this, it bears a strong resemblance to the DC-9 series of aircraft, with an identical cabin cross section, nose profile and tail.

An all new supercritical wing has been designed by Antonov.

This program is contributed to by 19 major U.S. and European aerospace components suppliers, including General Electric produces the engines and Rockwell Collins produces the avionics.

So I don't see how the Chinese will be able to develop a 'Jumbo' before the world runs out of fuel.

Maybe this is a smarter move: :arrow: Aeros 40D Sky Dragon airship in China

boomer535

Post by boomer535 »

I hear Airbus is going to open an A320 assembly line in China. This could give China a helping hand with their plans to build domestic airliners. Russia wants to get close with Airbus too.

RC20

Post by RC20 »

boomer535 wrote:I hear Airbus is going to open an A320 assembly line in China. This could give China a helping hand with their plans to build domestic airliners. Russia wants to get close with Airbus too.
That’s the plan.

So, the mid sized wide body will look like an A330!

Actually its a bit of a joke, as by the time anything really gets rolling, the new 737/A320 replacements will be out, and they will be composite, not aluminum
and its variations.

They would be better off concentrating on a small composite jet, then leveraging that.

They won't be a player, and if they want to compete internationally, they will have to buy modern equipment.

fleabyte

tehse guys have mastered learning curve

Post by fleabyte »

They will be succussful, selling an A300, with (A330-200 performance) at half the current price within 10 yaers is my bet.

Not a contender against the 787 or A350, but will kill the A330 and 767.

Good, China is a great nation of history, and they should contribute to the state of aviation.