Ryanair welcomes open skies

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

airazurxtror

Ryanair welcomes open skies

Post by airazurxtror »

Ryanair welcomes the open skies agreement between EU and the USA.
Why ? That agreement has nothing to do with Ryanair, who don't fly transatlantic.
But it has to do with Aer Lingus, and Ryanair is trying to buy it.
The open skies agreement allows any EU carrier to fly to the USA from any EU country. (EU : European Union)
Let's dream : Ryanair succeed in buying Aer Lingus and fly (cheaply) to the USA from its European bases ! Including CRL with a lenghtened runway, or with a refuelling stop at Shannon, like it used to be !

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php ... n-220307-2

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

I dont understand why ryanair would need anything else than its own success to fly transatlantic.

This company is a bulldozer, they'll do whatever they wanna do and it's all good for people with limited budget like many among us.

I completely imagine some new bases for transatlantic flight, like ... LGG for example, which has all the good infrastructure they need for that kind of flights.

foxtrot_lima_yankee

Post by foxtrot_lima_yankee »

Yeah let s extend the EBCI runway!!!
It s so easy!!!
You got to remove the 2 highways on both sides of the airport to do that.
EBLG or EBOS would be a better option indeed.

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

Acid-drop wrote:I dont understand why ryanair would need anything else than its own success to fly transatlantic.
Crossing the English Channel and crossing the Atlantic are 2 very seperate things. Transatlantic travel reqires many things that typical domestic travel doesnt, like crew training and additional parts for the aircraft. Buying or merging with an established player would be better for them ;)
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

foxtrot_lima_yankee wrote:Yeah let s extend the EBCI runway!!!
It s so easy!!!
You got to remove the 2 highways on both sides of the airport to do that.
The highway on the north-east end of the EBCI runway is nearly 2 km away...

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

TexasGuy wrote:I dont understand why ryanair would need anything else than its own success to fly transatlantic.

Buying or merging with an established player would be better for them ;)
Ryanair is in the process of buying Aer Lingus.

foxtrot_lima_yankee

Just checked it on the AIP
The highway is at 1600m but you got factories at 800m.
The LDA/TODA is 2550m on the 25 now.
A 767 at full payload with no wind requires approx 10000ft.
If you gonna have big planes coming in, you gonna need to build a threshold, which you don t have now on the 25.
So for a 767 you need a 3050 ft runway with a threshold of let s say 450m.
Mesure that on the chart and you ll find yourself in the factories.

In Antwerp you just got a few houses towards the village of Vremde but that s it. Antwerp s TODA is 1500m but you can add 2km to that without problems. Vremde is only at 3km.
The only issue is noise but Vremde isn t Zaventem.(100 times smaller).
The belgians should use the same solutions as the Japanese: build airports on the water!!

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

To make place at CRL, they have already dismolished a small borough of Ransart, including the parochial church... a few industrial buildings would not be impossible to displace, there is plenty of room all around.
Like you, I would like very much to see ANR expanding - but when you remenber the fuss that was made just to cut a few trees on the approach, I imagine a lenghtening of the runway would be near to impossible.

foxtrot_lima_yankee

Yeah you re definetely right about that.
I just want to keep being optimistic.

I think the Belgian aviation mentality is way to conservative.
The flemish are typically always complaining about anything that changes, certainly if it is about noise or airplanes.
The Welsh all are some kind of happy when something goes forward. They would be happy to hear that transatlantic flights would be coming to EBLG or EBCI.
The first thing a Flemish would tell you is : "Dat gaat voor geluidsproblemen zorgen."

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

It's just that the walloon are welcoming all the employment that this kind of activity creates ;)

we dont have the big sea harbours or the car factories flanders have :)
that's a lot of people working ;)