Thomas Cook Airlines is looking for flights from Charleroi.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Thomas Cook Airlines is looking for flights from Charleroi.

Post by Atlantis »

This is not a surprise. With the penalties of the city Brussels is the future uncertain if airlines have to pay this. The penalties for TCA are high.
Some years ago they have said: "What we can't do at Brussels Airport we can at an other airport".

Sorry, only in Dutch.

http://www.standaard.be/Artikel/Detail. ... anaalid=18

foxtrot_lima_yankee

Post by foxtrot_lima_yankee »

Very interesting!!!
Oh by the way, I ve seen the new terminal right of the RWY25 while on approach, it s great and very modern!!
I love it and it has nothing to loose against EBBR.
Thomas Cook is very welcome, there is certainly enough place for them!!
Too bad Charleoi airport can t extend its runway on either side. I would ve loved to see big ones arriving there!!
On that aspect, EBAW has greats potentials!
Let s extend that runway with more than 2kms until Borsbeek, that way traffic would be high before getting over the city, avoiding noise abbatment.

JAFflyer

Post by JAFflyer »

foxtrot_lima_yankee wrote: On that aspect, EBAW has greats potentials!
Let s extend that runway with more than 2kms until Borsbeek, that way traffic would be high before getting over the city, avoiding noise abbatment.
And what about aircraft arriving then on rwy 11? I don't think ANR needs to compete with CRL or BRU. They are doing fine now with VLM, Flying group and Welcome Air (during Winter).

Harry-Spotter

Post by Harry-Spotter »

I have heard on the news today that Thomas Cook would like to use the old terminal once the new one is operational. It is a good thing for CLR to have more airlines.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

3 companies are actually interested by the old terminal.

This is a very good news for Charleroi, becoming more and more a very credible alternative to Brussels Airport.

Another very good news for charleroi today : SNCB/NMBS planed the rail connection in the 2008-2012 budget.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

A little bit off topic, but interesting anyway :

Some picture of the new terminal in Charleroi :

from 22/02/07 :
http://documentation.met.wallonie.be/re ... age_01.htm

from 12/01/07 :
http://documentation.met.wallonie.be/re ... age_01.htm

foxtrot_lima_yankee

Well JAF-Flyer,

Winds in Belgium mostly blow from the South or from the West.
Airplanes land on the 11 only exceptionally when the wind is calm.
Flying at EBCI I until now never had to land on the 07. Always on the 25.
The situation at EBAW is quite similar to that of EBCI.
I agree that if you have a wind from 180 (magnetic) and the runway is a 29 you might have a slight tailwind though.
But do inhabitants of Gosselies complain when a Ryanair has to land occasionally on the 07?
I don t think so...
Why should inhabitants of Deurne??
And the strongest argument is: Antwerp is the second greatest city of Belgium!!

Cesare

Post by Cesare »

Acid-drop wrote:3 companies are actually interested by the old terminal.
One is Thomas Cook and the others?

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

no idea

my source just say there is 3:

7sur7.be
L'aéroport de Charleroi ouvrira un nouveau terminal fin 2007. Trois compagnies ont signifié leur intérêt pour le site de l'ancien bâtiment. TCA est l'un d'eux. TCA vole actuellement de Liège, Ostende et Bruxelles-national. Elle représente 6% des clients de Bruxelles-national.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

TAC's decision would be wise. Indeed BRU is too expensive, does not offer appropriate services to airlines, passenger and shopkeepers.

The articler does not mention the possible noise-fines they may have d

Either you have a fantastic exclusive product and you get a premium, or you have a mediocre one and you offer it at a cheaper price.

Pure economics.

BRU is just milking its passengers and more and more people realize this.
The queues are long because BRU charges exaggerated amounts for security gates, for check-in counters,etc.

The passenger has to pay for everything except use of trolleys and toilets. Not yet.

Killing the chicken with the golden egg.

The Aussies just think like Bankers: quick bucks.

So my forecast for BRU: 20 million pax in 2020. Maybe.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

foxtrot_lima_yankee wrote: Too bad Charleoi airport can t extend its runway on either side. I would ve loved to see big ones arriving there!!
When you look at this pic :
http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=507924

I dont understand why they couldnt extend the runway ...
There is a study to lenthen to 3200 meters.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

To give you an impression: between 2005 till today, the Belgian chartercompanies received a bill or penalty of 2 million euro. This for overflying Brussels between 6 and 7 in the morning. Thomas Cook Airlines received the biggest part, less then 1 million euro.

So that's why I'm not surprised they are looking for an other airport.

foxtrot_lima_yankee

I mentioned that if EBCI is to welcome big aircraft like A300, A330, B767, B777 a displaced threshold would be needed to make some TORA available.
Now there is no displaced threshold on the 25 and if you ask it to me there is just enough room for a 737 to have an aborted-take-off before V1, even possibly using the displaced threshold you have on the 07.
But you are right, it migh be tight but possible if you remove all those industries situated between the 25 threshold and the highway.
Would be really nice indeed...
And that might even be their aim on a long run, because the new terminal is situated nearly in front of the actual 25 threshold...aircraft have to taxi back via the "N" taxiways to join the terminal. Maybe that terminal might be centered to the lengthened runway in the future but admit that it will not be for tomorrow...

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Atlantis wrote:To give you an impression: between 2005 till today, the Belgian chartercompanies received a bill or penalty of 2 million euro. This for overflying Brussels between 6 and 7 in the morning. Thomas Cook Airlines received the biggest part, less then 1 million euro.

So that's why I'm not surprised they are looking for an other airport.
Correct me if i'm wrong but ... they cannot flight during the night in charleroi either ... it's only possible in Liège, but it's of course less central than charleroi.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

That's correct Acid-drop. Charleroi is closed between 23h and 06.30h. When there is still a aircraft for Charleroi in the air between those hours they will diverted it to LGG.

So, Charleroi is in my opinion not the best solution.

Second problem for EBCI, they reached the max for the airport. Ryanair is the only one with based aircrafts and also for the future. The airport is in talk with four new, not based!!!!, airlines for the airport.

With the new terminal and the extention of the runway they could handle 5 million pax a year, according to the new Flemisch CEO of the airport will that be the maximum of the airport. If not, then they have the same problems as Brussels Airport.

At EBCI they work with a quotum of 900 points for nightsflights. Last year they used 680 points of the 900. Ryanair will add two more airplanes at EBCI, that means that Charleroi will reach the max of 900 points.