Boeing press conference

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

bits44

Boeing press conference

Post by bits44 »

Recap:

787 on time

unreported and in discussion with airlines for approx 1500 787's

signed orders and yet to be signed orders 513

787-10 nearing commitments required to proceed.

numerous other questions from reporters regarding China's jump in to commercial airframe construction.
There are no strangers in the world, just friends we have yet to meet.

DFW

Post by DFW »

A reporter's view of the press conference:
http://tinyurl.com/2aepx5

Of course, everyone is always "in discussion with a lot of customers". But Scott Carson does sound upbeat about the 787 being on time. That optimism carries more weight than John Leahy's "We will bury you" type of optimism. :wink:
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly an airplane?

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Let us not forget the most important airliner news from today is the landing of the A380 at JFK.

The press conference from Boeing is just an attempt to reduce American press coverage on the A380.

DFW

Post by DFW »

LX-LGX wrote:Let us not forget the most important airliner news from today is the landing of the A380 at JFK.

The press conference from Boeing is just an attempt to reduce American press coverage on the A380.
The first landing in North America was actually at LAX.

Here's the video and story for the landing at LAX:
http://tinyurl.com/24vmq3

SWEET, huh? The fog gives it a nice touch, almost a mythical view.

bits44

Post by bits44 »

Actually the first landing was in Canada still part of North America last time I checked, first at Iqaluit , then Vancouver.

SN30952

China plans jumbo aircraft by 2020

Post by SN30952 »

Is Boeing nervous? Do the Airbus landings in US make them nervous?
Wait until the Chinese land their Jumbos there.
China currently produces parts for both Boeing and Airbus.
China started to build jumbo aircraft in 1970, only two years after Airbus went into production, but the project was later shelved despite a promising start.

Ruscoe

Post by Ruscoe »

I believe the Boeing Progress report is held quarterly and booked before the dates of 380 into USA were announced.

Perhaps Airbus were trying to spoil the 787 "good news".

Whatever, this is perfectly normal and legitimate PR for both companies.

Ruscoe

RC20

Post by RC20 »

LX-LGX wrote:Let us not forget the most important airliner news from today is the landing of the A380 at JFK.

The A380 is last decades technology (no matte how warmed up) and not news (very interesting yes, real news, no). It did not make a revenue pax run, the freighter is cancelled. Boeing looks to roll out 3 787s in July, and has the 1500 orders and options etc, that is both the news and the future.

And I will say that if it came through Anchorage, I would do everything I could to see it. Boeing execs posed in front of it. Its not that its not an amazing aircraft, its just turned into a trail of tears for Airbus, and a gift of incredible magnitude for Boeing.

Andries

Post by Andries »

I really like what one of the reporters in the movie says : "there's really alot of America in this plane"
The A380 may be assembled in France, but it is a plane of the entire world !

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

David747

Post by David747 »

I read the reports of the Press Conference, the 787 will fly on time, hopefully, and will be delivered starting next year. Of course now the only hurdle that Boeing must clear is the FAA regulations on the composite materials. Second, the A380 landing in America for the first time was news, it was great to see the Superjumbo make an exciting landing at LAX with the cross winds.

David747

Post by David747 »

bits44 wrote:Actually the first landing was in Canada still part of North America last time I checked, first at Iqaluit , then Vancouver.
Remember, to the average American, North America is the US only. :laugh:

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

The A380 is a magnificent plane and a real technical achivement. It's very size demonstrates a technical milestone and (while I have not seen it fly, except on TV) it flys gracefully. I do not think many people realize the difficulty in making a million+ pound hunk of metal fly!

DFW

Post by DFW »

bits44 wrote:Actually the first landing was in Canada still part of North America last time I checked, first at Iqaluit , then Vancouver.
Sorry, my bad. Didn't mean any disrespect.
:oops:
Vancouver is my favorite city in the world. :D

bits44

Post by bits44 »

Sorry, my bad. Didn't mean any disrespect.

None taken, with all the hoopla of its appearance in the U.S. it was easy to overlook! :D

bkonner

Post by bkonner »

DFW wrote:

The first landing in North America was actually at LAX.

Here's the video and story for the landing at LAX:
http://tinyurl.com/24vmq3

SWEET, huh? The fog gives it a nice touch, almost a mythical view.
Actually the JFK flight arrived 15 minutes earlier (remember LA is three hours behind NYC). Also, the LAX flight had no seats or passengers.

Bill
Boston, Massachusetts

boomer535

Post by boomer535 »

I thought the landing in LA was pretty bad. Maybe there was a crosswind.

DC3 Fan

Post by DC3 Fan »

The wind at LAX was from the west at 6 kts, right down the runway, so it was not a crosswind.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KLAX.html

earthman

Post by earthman »

I hope it's not some software glitch.

boomer535

Post by boomer535 »

When it touched down the wings really flexed then the nose swerved some. To me it looked like they were decending a little fast and landed hard. It was enough for the news reporters to comment on. I just saw the video of the landing at JFK. Smoother touchdown but the nose still swerved a bit. I would be interested to know how long the tires last on the A380. A great achievment in commercial aviation but I don't know if Airbus will make any money on it. I usually fly to the Philippines once a year are any airlines going to use the A380 to go from LA to Manilla? I sure would like to fly on it someday.

RC20

Post by RC20 »

David747 wrote: Of course now the only hurdle that Boeing must clear is the FAA regulations on the composite materials. Second, the A380 landing in America for the first time was news, it was great to see the Superjumbo make an exciting landing at LAX with the cross winds.
Boeing has been working with the FAA on those issues to be sure there are no show stoppers. There are a number of all composite aircraft flying, so its not totally new (none in that certification category ).

FAA is allowing the Dreamlifter to move parts as part of the certificating process.

And yes, the A380 landing in the US is news, but not the most significant news. A whole new industry and era in aviation is being created by Boeing.
They have turned the industry on its head, and have set in motion the state of the art for the next 30 years. Its not super glitzy, but its a once in a lifetime event.

The A380 is just a big aircraft. Nothing new, nothing innovative, Boeing did it 40 years ago, the Russians have done it. Sort of like the tail fin era in autos. Yep, the last ones were amazing, but what had the biggest impact on the auto industry was the VW Bug.