No liquid in hand luggage

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

airazurxtror

No liquid in hand luggage

Post by airazurxtror »

The new security rules, with effect next week, forbid practically the passengers to take any liquid with them aboard.
Every cloud has a silver lining.
Properly raised prices (to, say, 10 or 15 euros for a can of soft drink), together with alarmist warnings about the danger of airborne dehydratation, could bring welcome and healthy profit to the airlines.

Comet

Post by Comet »

This cloud hasn't got a :censored: "silver lining" for us. Thanks to the actions of low life terrorist-loving scum and the fall out from that, I can no longer have trips to Brussels to stock up on Belgian beers like I have done several times a year since 2004.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

Comet wrote:This cloud hasn't got a :censored: "silver lining" for us. Thanks to the actions of low life terrorist-loving scum and the fall out from that, I can no longer have trips to Brussels to stock up on Belgian beers like I have done several times a year since 2004.
errrm why?

Emirates

speedbird1

Re: No liquid in hand luggage

Post by speedbird1 »

airazurxtror wrote:The new security rules, with effect next week, forbid practically the passengers to take any liquid with them aboard.
Every cloud has a silver lining.
Properly raised prices (to, say, 10 or 15 euros for a can of soft drink), together with alarmist warnings about the danger of airborne dehydratation, could bring welcome and healthy profit to the airlines.
Is this strictly true what you are saying here? As far as I can see prices at airports haven't been increased.

http://www.ec.europa.eu/transport/air_p ... ter_en.pdf

A little more info @ the above link. Hope this helps.

Emirates

summersso

Post by summersso »

I've just this morning returned from Krakow-Balice, which at 6-7am is always heaving. With the new security rules in place from this morning though the airport was at a standstill! Absolute nonsense - all flights left late (NE676 to BRU was 45mins late). Don't know how they're going to cope!

How is BRU coping? Or how will it cope? Do we need to arrive EVEN earlier to pass security?

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

I suggest to come early to the airport for your flight, many passengers never heard about the new handluggage-rule.

I for example will now only have: a toothbrush, toothpaste, gilette, small bottle of shavingfoam (less than 100ml), small bottle of shampoo, some soap and a deo-stick in a plastic bag in my handluggage.

beaucaire

Post by beaucaire »

I understand it's sheer chaos in Orly,all flights late and it will get worse in the afternoon,with delays accumulating during the flight-shedules.
Not a great way to boost airtraffic ....
The railroads will see more passengers using trains !
...my wife said she would not use any longer any flights,as long as one is treated as potential terrorist.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

It's totally ridiculous.
If you wanna do some mess in a plane, there is 3 thousands ways and this rule will not change anything.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

summersso wrote:How is BRU coping?
Very well for me. I left with SN2751 to GVA at 07:10 and passed the baggage check in Terminal B at 06:30. No long lines, friendly staffers, efficient searching (I mean no excess). Only a few passengers had liquids with them, which were discovered by the scanner: the baggage was then opened and the liquids (more than 100 ml) removed.

I don't know for later flights;

From Geneva,
André
ex Sabena #26567

Lyulka

Post by Lyulka »

Is it allowed to take a couple of bottles of less than 100ml, or is 100ml the maximum total volume?

Anyway, I think this rule stinks and is of no use. Except for companies selling drinks onboard of course...

Hakske

Post by Hakske »

Liquids, gels, etc. are allowed in bottles or flacons of a capacity of max 100ml in transparent plastic bags. Max 1 liter / person.

Others things you have to keep in mind is that your jackets have to go through the X-Ray machine and the same thing with laptops and other electronic devices, they have to go seperate through the machine.

People who like our Belgian beers can always put the stuff in your check-in luggage :-)

Today was verry hectic at Brussels Airport, I hope people will find a system to make this go a lot faster ... we'll see

Greetz,
Tom
Security Officer at Brussels Airport

More info: http://www.brussels-airport.be/news/index.cfm?lang=eng

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

Hakske wrote:People who like our Belgian beers can always put the stuff in your check-in luggage :-)
If so, wrap it up good or you will have a major mess on your hands. The baggage handlers are not gentle when loading the baggage and the bottles are subject to break and cans can break as well. Very nasty mess in the cargo hold of the airplane.
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

summersso

Post by summersso »

Hakske wrote:Liquids, gels, etc. are allowed in bottles or flacons of a capacity of max 100ml in transparent plastic bags. Max 1 liter / person.
Is this at all flexible? I mean what if you've got a 150ml tube of toothpaste or tub of hairgel that's half full? Will security throw it out?!

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

My experience from yesterday morning flying with LH FRA-TXL and later in the day TXL-BRU is a clear: YES, they will trow it away immediately. And how should they check if it is half full or three quarters full :roll:

They just check what the maximum volume of the tube or bottle is (usually that is printed on the outside). However, at FRA and TXL it was not too bad yesterday, Monday morning is always quite full, but everybody managed. Only some friends from Asia obviously were not aware of the new rules and had to rearrange their baggage. One guy had two bottles of Wodka with him - and the comment from the security staff was: Either I will throw it away, or you drink it at once :shock: :shock: ....
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

bxleu

Post by bxleu »

In Lisbon they opened a 'fast-track lane' for passengers not carrying liquids

chunk

Post by chunk »

Well I went through CDG yesterday on the way back from JNB and chaos reigned supreme. Not because of the passengers I may add - it was the completely inept staff.

I had to ditch two bottles of wine bought in South Africa - not a problem as i had broken the rules and they were cheap. That is not what p*sed me off - which was the following:

1. Airport staff in JNB didnt confirm that we were connecting in CDG. They did it with the pass going to London in front of us. WOuld i have bought the wine if I knew I couldnt carry it? Yeah right.....

2. Upon arrival at CDG the woman didn;t seem to know the rules. Was it ok if the bag was sealed? It was sealed but not ok? OK - what about turkish delight? IS that a liquid??!!! What the F***? THere seemed to be a debate about pretty much anything in a duty free bag. It was a farce. If you are going to enforce rules you should at least know what you are enforcing.

3. This new rule "for our protection" is another joke. So it is ok to buy duty free alcohol between EU countries but not ex-EU? How does that work? If someone can please explain the difference then I will happily listen. SOunds like EU ministers justifying themselves to me with what can only be described as idiotic legislation. If I owned duty free shops in JNB, DXB or anywhere actually when you think about it I would just close up shop. This rule means that on the 10.5 hour flight from JNB I can carry what I want, but in the 1.5 hour flight to ABZ I can't? Does that not just sound stupid? OK so now I will buy wine and liquor on the way into DUbai at the duty free there - and put it in my suitcase on teh way back? Makes my bag heavier but I bet you all feel a lot safer with flammable liquid where noone can see it!

4. Oooh its to protect us from the nasty terrorist that wants to kill us all? Shite. Said it before - anyone who wants to do that badly enough will find a way. Stopping 150ml of toothpaste aint going to worry them.

Morons.

Hakske

Post by Hakske »

summersso wrote:Is this at all flexible? I mean what if you've got a 150ml tube of toothpaste or tub of hairgel that's half full? Will security throw it out?!
Yes, the law says that the amount on the packing displayed is the one that counts