Will Continental use a 777 for the BRU-EWR route ? (2007)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

ATC

Will Continental use a 777 for the BRU-EWR route ? (2007)

Post by ATC »

There is a message ("rumor") on A.net that next year CO might use a 777 on the BRU-EWR route. Everything depends on the two 772ERs that will be delivered to CO next year (bringing the 777 fleet to 20 airframes).

The two 777's normally going to fly the EWR-Shanghai route if CO is granted authority for the route, if CO does not get this authority, the plan is to fly BRU-EWR with one of the 777.

It isn't a rumor that the route BRU-EWR is doing very well and the business class is allways +/- 100% full (35 seats). The main reason to use the 777 for BRU is to generate a bigger C-class. Some say that BRU is one of the most profitable transatlantic CO routes.

ATC
Last edited by ATC on 02 Jul 2006, 17:13, edited 2 times in total.

Avro

Post by Avro »

To be honest it wouldn't surpise me to see them upgrade the flight with the B777. However as we know they are short of 777's, so if they don't get the rights to fly to Shanghai we might have a chance to see them indeed.

However didn't CO had the idea to start a double daily with one B767 and one B757 ? This would also be a solution instead of the B777 upgrade. The double daily would offer some additional flexibility to the passengers IMHO.

Chris

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Like our Dutch friend on A.net said, it's only a rumor. Some of them are going around for a long time.

But if we analyse the post we noted that "if" they can't use the 777 for the Shangai route, MAD and BRU will receive the 777 for the summer 2007 timetable. Question is, will they also use them in winter 2007?
There is nothing to read about a second daily flight to BRU. But if the two 777 will fly to Europe, a lot will be moving. The two 764 of MAD and BRU will replace the 762 on other existing routes and those 762 will replace the 752.

The final anwser will come from CO, this year or next year.

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

A few months ago CO already informed if it's possible to park their 777's here at BRU.

Wait and see, that's the only thing we can do at this moment.

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

We in Houston have been hearing of a possible CO IAH-FRA route next year with the 777

Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

CO filed its request at the DOT for the route Newark to Shanghai.

There will be one airline who get permission to fly between the USA and China. All the other big airlines also filed their requests. Some of them will fly to Beijing.

CO will use a B772 on that route.

The DOT will announce next year which airline it will be.

Robin_Bamps

Post by Robin_Bamps »

I was already wondering why I saw boxes with CO B772 safetycards during work. That explains everything...

Regards, Robin Bamps.

David747

Post by David747 »

I read somewhere that CO wanted to use its 777-200 on a proposed Newark to Beijing route over the North Pole. Another thing, I don't think Continental has 772LR on order, but that could change soon though.

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

Another thing, I don't think Continental has 772LR on order, but that could change soon though.
I doubt Continental would need the extra range of the 772LR. Especially if they get authorization from the FAA to fly Polar routes. Unless they start some sort of IAH-Sydney route..... Ultimately, Continental will do what's profitable for them, if the 767 is better they'll go with it. :wink:
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

AVION1

Post by AVION1 »

Continental Airlines said yesterday that its application to launch daily Newark-Shanghai service in March 2007 (ATWOnline, April 8, 2005) should be approved by the US Dept. of Transportation because it "has made the best case for the route award." CO argued that there are no nonstop flights to Shanghai from the US Northeast and that the New York metropolitan area has a "far larger" population than the bases of its competitors Northwest Airlines (Detroit), United Airlines (Washington Dulles) and American Airlines (Dallas/Fort Worth). CO is following American's lead and establishing an online petition for people to register their support for the route

David747

Post by David747 »

If CO gets that Shanghai route, I wouldn't be surprised if they order the 772LR to replace older 772, and use the LR's in that route.

Knight255

Post by Knight255 »

CO argued that there are no nonstop flights to Shanghai from the US Northeast and that the New York metropolitan area has a "far larger" population than the bases of its competitors Northwest Airlines (Detroit), United Airlines (Washington Dulles) and American Airlines (Dallas/Fort Worth).
Actually, American's Shanghai route is out of Chicago O'Hare. :wink: However they are looking to pick a route DFW-Beijing...... :D
"What's this button do?? I don't know, push it and find out................."

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

CO is also filled a request to start flights between Cleveland and Shanghai.

Its more and more unlikely that they will use a B777 to BRU.

Also DL will use their B777 to other destinations then Europe. They will use the B767 (300 and 400) for European routes.

Tommypilot

Post by Tommypilot »

Atlantis wrote:Its more and more unlikely that they will use a B777 to BRU.
If Continental gets the traffic right to fly to Shangai, they will continu using the 764 for BRU.
If they don't get the traffic rights (there are other american airlines aiming for that goal and only one can get the traffic rights), they will use a B777(one of their two new ones) on the route EWR-BRU-EWR.

Source: Continental Airlines

Kind regards,
Tommy
The word "impossible" is not in my dictionary! - Napoleon Bonaparte

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hi

Sounds al great! Let's hope they send the T7 to BRU :P although I really hope CO get the rights. Even if they don't ... they don't really HAVE to use the NEW B777. They could also use an older one (usual etops B777-200)for EWR-BRU-EWR and use the newer one's on routes like to CDG , LHR etc...

Maybe one day they will upgrade the capacity with or without the rights to fly to Shanghai , let's hope.

Best regards: Yannick ;)

TWA

Post by TWA »

I would love to see depart from BRU a CO B764 to HOU, a B762 to CLE and a B772 to EWR.

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello

Yes I would like to , but I think it's a bit unrealistic to see a flight Cleveland-Brussels-Cleveland beeing started up. Continental don't even has lot (or maybe none) long haul flights starting from there.

Considering HOU is a big CO hub , it might be possible in the far future , IF Brussels gets a more 'international' profile. Because you know or you don't , the more long-haul flights (but mainly short haul flights) an airport gets , the more will follow in accordance with switching planes (look to SN , AA , HU ).
'Once the train has started , the proces will only go faster en grow bigger'.

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

As far as IAH-BRU on Continental, i dont remember seeing that on the "request" list from the business community here. There are several European cities on that list that will see Continental service from IAH when Continental starts receiving thier B787's. I will have a look around and see if i can find it and post here ;);)

BRU would be nice though. I wouldnt need to make a connection when flying there to get my Belgian beer fresh :lol: :lol: :lol:
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello

Hehe , funny , it must be really true that American people really KNOW the Belgian beer since you're not the only one I have heard saying that :P:D well after all it is , but still funny.

I also hope we'll see a B787 one day , and hopefully not to late. CO would be a nice start.

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/ge ... n/3190553/

"United Airlines has won the bid for China. Details to follow"