Onur Air suffers tailstrike during landing

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

earthman

Onur Air suffers tailstrike during landing

Post by earthman »

Several news media mention today that an Onur Air A321 executed a perfect tailstrike during landing in Rotterdam today, badly damaging the plane, to the point where it cannot be pressurized anymore.

:twisted: Onur Air maintenance has already sent a shipment of duct tape :twisted: :wink:

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

That's bad luck in high season. Such incident is usually not linked with maintenance at this stage...
Usually the pilots are blamed... almost without exception, the cause is elusive to the flight crew.
A tailstrike take off is physically possible only on an aircraft with tricycle landing gear.

A tailstrike on landing is rather exceptional. We are talking of an 15degrees+ angle....
Runway contact by the tail or wing is a function of pitch attitude and bank angle.
Any one of these four landing risk factors may precede a tail strike:
* Unstabilized approach.
* Holding off in the flare.
* Mishandling of crosswinds.
* Over-rotation during go-around.

But maintenace after a tailstrike is of utmost importance. Verteran members will remember we discuissed the matter of a old tailstrike of Japan Airlines Flight 123. At that time we did not have these animations

That aircraft was involved in a tailstrike incident 7years earlier at Itami Airport on June 2, 1978, damaging the 747's rear bulkhead. Boeing performed the repair: a two rows of riveted doubler on the damaged bulkhead.

The bulkhead gave way some 12300+ take offs later.

A piece of advice: watch that aircraft. earthman we need the registration.

Tail Strike Avoidance

earthman

Post by earthman »

The plane can't fly at the moment, so if anybody has a few spare minutes, they can go to Rotterdam and see what the reg is. Couldn't make it out in the news footage.

Schep

Post by Schep »

No pictures?

Thanks

sunwing

Post by sunwing »

earthman wrote:The plane can't fly at the moment, so if anybody has a few spare minutes, they can go to Rotterdam and see what the reg is. Couldn't make it out in the news footage.
The reg is TC-OAN.
Schep wrote:No pictures?
There is not much to see from the outside. Only a few scratches below the tail.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

SN30952 wrote:A tailstrike take off is physically possible only on an aircraft with tricycle landing gear.
This is a strong candidate for our "most useless message of the month" competition! And then again, what airliners do not have tricycle gear today? An-2, DC-3, ...

earthman

Post by earthman »

Well, they revoked the airworthiness certificate of the plane, at least until they plug the holes. Apparently it cannot be pressurized anymore.

Did the duct tape arrive yet? It would all be so much easier if airports would sell chewing gum... :wink:

jelger

Post by jelger »

with the chewinggum at least it wil start to fart :P
Last edited by jelger on 22 Jul 2006, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

jan_olieslagers wrote:
SN30952 wrote:A tailstrike take off is physically possible only on an aircraft with tricycle landing gear.
This is a strong candidate for our "most useless message of the month" competition! And then again, what airliners do not have tricycle gear today? An-2, DC-3, ...
With all respect Jan: your reply is my candidate for the "most unfriendly reply of the year award".

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

LX-LGX wrote:With all respect Jan: your reply is my candidate for the "most unfriendly reply of the year award".
Well, er, I'll allow I've been a bit touchy these days. The weather must have done something there.
Even so, when Fons' message irritated me, I tried to say so with a kind of smile. Remember the old Arab proverb: "Before saying anything aloud, ask yourself whether your words will have more value than silence"