Araxos Airport

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
star alliance

Araxos Airport

Post by star alliance »

Hello everybody,

this is my first post on luchtzak.be
On the 14th of July me and my family will fly to Araxos in Greece with TUB.
Does anyone have more information about that airport?

If there are mistakes in my English, I'm very sorry. :oops:

Greets,
star alliance

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

Welcome Star Alliance!
Not too many details on it, link below is a shot from a Fischer Air B733 on finals. http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0510268/L/
When the photo was taken, the main runway looks to be being repaired but it's an old pic.
The scenery around there looks great though.
Wishing you a great holiday.

Emirates

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

this is what landings.com has to say about it:

Airport Records
Important: The information from this database is for information only. It should not be used for navigation or flight critical information.

To print airport information, check the checkbox for each airport to be printed and click on "Retrieve Selected Airports" at the bottom of the list.
GPA (ICAO: LGRX) ARAXOS (CIV/AFB)
ARAXOS/PATRAS GREECE

Latitude: 38° 9' 4.76" North Longitude: 21° 25' 39.59" East

Elevation: 49' (15m) Max. Runway Length: 9810' (2990m)

Comments: joint public/military
Airport frequencies: Radio Air/Ground 5637 kHz/2989 MHz, Andravida Approach 120.65 MHz/122.1 MHz/362.3 MHz, Command Post 337.75 MHz, Tower 122.1 MHz/125.25 MHz/257.8 MHz/362.3 MHz; Runway info: Runway 18R/36L (9810' x 148'), Surface: Concrete, Runway 18L/36R (10867' x 70'), Surface: Asphalt; Fuel: Jet A1 without icing inhibitor, JP-8 with icing inhibitor
The photograph already made me suspect a military origin. Interesting to see the asphalt surface left of the runway is another runway, I first thought it a very large apron...
And have you noticed the total absence of landings aids? Neither ILS nor even any PAPI/VASIS/ .... Be prepared for landing elsewhere if the weather is less than perfect!

earthman

Post by earthman »

I think most airports in Greece are joint civilian/military. At least, I've seen military planes at the two that I've been at (Heraklion and Rhodes), and Heraklion even had jet hangars.

About the weather in Greece during holiday season, it rarely ever is anything else than perfect. Bad weather during that time usually means there are a few clouds (up high) and it's not that hot.

star alliance

Post by star alliance »

Thanks for the information guys. I hope the weather is good because I don't like to land in Athens.

earthman

Post by earthman »

By the way, I think all Greek airports come with free nice scenery.