What the hell was going on at CRL yesterday? Ryanair? Joke.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

chunk

What the hell was going on at CRL yesterday? Ryanair? Joke.

Post by chunk »

OK sorry if this has been asked already but what happened at CRL yesterday to Ryanairs flights in teh morning. I ask as I was supposed to be on one to PIK that got cancelled 20 minutes after teh scheduled departure time. They blamed weather for that cancellation and for cancelled flights to Nimes and somewhere in Spain at least. Thing is - the weather was OK!!! A little cloudy but there is no way a B737 couldnt land in it......KLM and EasyJet land in ABZ in far worse conditions almost every day. Also - at the same time they cancelled the flight, a Ryanair plane came in and left bound for Venice full of passenegers....didnt seem to have trouble landing.

My theory is that they just dont want to pay compensation so blame the weather, knowing that there is no-one there to complain to.

I finally made it back to PIK via a bus to Midi Station, Thalys to Gare du Nord in Paris, train to Beauvais and then flight from Beauvais. All except the flight at my own expense....because of ahem' weather'!!!

It looks like they lied to everyone in the room and there was no-one to complain to so get away without paying thousands of euros in compensation - as the law would say the must. Or does anyone on here know better?

I don;t buy the argument that you have paid so little for your ticket then you have no rights. Crap. They ROBBED me of 12 hours and the cost of gettting to Paris Beauvais airport and should be fined accordingly. Everyone should get compansation that was in that joke of an airport yesterday.....apologies if you are on here and work there but it is bad. Almost as bad as the dpearture 'tent' they have at Beauvais!

If anyone knows how to get through to Ryanair then please let me know but somehow I doubt it. Even better give me Michael O' Mouse (or whatever the idiots name is) email address! Shame becasue on board it was ok. Dont think I'll rush back....and I suspect 180 other left CRL yestrday feeling the same way!

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Charleroi is still ILS Cat I.
They cancel many flights a year, it's the biggest disavantage of this airport.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

They think CRL is big or could be big, but when there is a small problem the airport is closed. I give you a thought: in May, CRL had a decrease of 11.5% in traffic compared with the same period last year!!!!!!!!!

Remember last year, winter period, how many times that airport was closed.

JetB

Post by JetB »

And that is why I stopped flying Ryanair :wink:

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

@atlantis & acid_drop: sorry guys but have you read the original msg carefully? it was stated another FR plane landed & took off again (for Venice?) so neither weather nor ILS equipment were an issue.

Jense

Post by Jense »

That is the risk when flying Ryanair. You agreed with the rules when you paid your ticket, so I don't see any problem. You know this could happen, especially with CRL. Why do people complain when they gave a "yes" or an "OK" to something they don't like? Aaarghh...

If you want to play it safe, spend some more money on your ticket and fly SN (luchtzak.be's favourite airline)!

EDIT: mesage edited on request...

Mercator

Post by Mercator »

CRL was not ILS CAT I at that time. The glidepath of the ILS is out of service due to the works north of the runway so it is localizer only approach. So the weather minimas are higher and they need 1200 m visibility and 460 ft ceiling minimum. That's why we got a lot of diversions and cancellations recently.
ILS should be back operational from July 4th.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Chunk;

The Belgian Government is in charge of collecting passenger claims concerning the new EU rules for passengers departing from Belgium. If you do not get a satisfactory answer from Ryanair itself, send an e-mail to [email protected]
Last edited by sn26567 on 29 Jun 2006, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Don't expect a BMW for the price of a Lada! One golden rule that always applies in these kind of matters: "if something looks to good to be true, it probably is". If you buy a ticket for a few euros, carefully read the small caps, that's the essence of what you want to know!
Briefly: don't expect the same conditions from an LCC as you get from a full service airline. The reason why they are able to offer cheap flights is because they make compromises (not on safety though) and have a very streamlined strategy.

Hope you learned from the experience and will draw your lessons from it.

greetings,
bAIR

chunk

Post by chunk »

Actually I know all about the rules when flying the LoCo's - but I also know that they are due to pay compensation if the delay is not weather related. Therefore they will say it is weather related to get out of it. With no Ryanair people to complain to there is nothing you can do.

Thanks for the information though guys - just means I will certainly not be flying to Charleroi again. Like I said yesterday, I reckon about 180 other people will no longer bother either.......

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Yesterday, I took the Ryanair morning flight from Charleroi to Bergamo at 0730 and came back with the evening flight. Both were on time...

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

Ryanair really is the pits.
You can claim, because no airline can break the EU laws, no matter how cheap the fare is (not that they are always that cheap, my mum looked into flights from Bournemouth to Girona and they cost £700 for 6 of us (4 'adults' and 2 kids) and easyjet quoted £500 from Gatwick to Barcelona...which would be a more expensive flight to fly, with gate costs at Barcelona and Gatwick more than at Bournemouth and Girona)

I've had bad experience with Ryanair before, at Girona. Didn' cancel, but bumped us when we were about to walk down the jetway, told us to fly back later or take compensation, which was about £30 each. The tickets were £100 each, though it was return.

BOYCOT RYANAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chunk

Post by chunk »

Thats the point though - I am not sure I can claim as they are claiming its weather related and how can you dispute that even when the weather was OK. The explanation about CAT I makes sense but doesnt explain how a flight to Venice can first land and then take off in the time we were waiting to board!

vueling

Post by vueling »

I was also at CRL that day for a flight to VLC wich was cancelled.
Well, for this time we cannot say anything against ryanair. Three flights in the end of the morning has been cancelled (Prestwick, Nimes and Valencia). These three planes landed in Liege.

I'm more angry against the managment of CRL, who cannot deal to have a functional airport than Ryanair.

The EU rules do not apply here has it was a exeptional circonstance.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

chunk wrote:I am not sure I can claim as they are claiming its weather related and how can you dispute that even when the weather was OK. The explanation about CAT I makes sense but doesnt explain how a flight to Venice can first land and then take off in the time we were waiting to board!
You can dispute their opinion with a proper meteorological report, and he fact that other Ryanair flights took off and landed at the same moment!
I would not let it go: I successfully sued Virgin Express in the past for stolen checked baggage and got more than the ridiculous compensation of the Warsaw Convention. Here you have clear EU rules to protect you.

By the way, what did they offer or suggest after your flight was cancelled? "Go to Beauvais by your own means to catch another Ryanair flight"?
André
ex Sabena #26567

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Try www.airclaim.nl

The European legislation on cancelled flights ("denied boarding") clearly states that is forbidden for an airline to exclude or limit the compensation for any other reason then what's allowed in the EU-Rule.

The Ryanair-contract therefore seems to be quite illegal. Fortunately for them, the EU is slow, very slow. By the time somebody at the EU realizes there's something wrong and the contract is delcared illegal, Ryanair has saved millions of euro's.

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

vueling wrote: The EU rules do not apply here has it was a exeptional circonstance.
These 'exeptional circonstnces' so seem to happen rather often.......

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

It was probably a situation where it is a just being able to land or just not. It's not because the Venice landed that the next one had the same visibility. FR is not going to divert a 3 planes to Liege for the fun og it. It costs them a lot of money.

DFW

Post by DFW »

I've never flown Ryan Air, but I can honestly say that the dominant LCC here in the States, Southwest Airlines, is a very well run airline. I don't fly it often because I don't like flying in steerage. But I know that when I do fly it, it's almost guaranteed that I will leave on time and arrive on time. Absolutely no doubts.

Southwest is not the largest airline in the States in terms of passenger volume (American, United, Delta, and probably others are larger). But it is by far the largest in terms of market capitalization (total value of all stocks).

So it's possible to be a profitable AND respected LCC.
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly an airplane?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

DFW wrote:the dominant LCC here in the States, Southwest Airlines, is a very well run airline. I don't fly it often because I don't like flying in steerage. But I know that when I do fly it, it's almost guaranteed that I will leave on time and arrive on time. Absolutely no doubts.
Can you tell us about the policy of Southwest when tey have to cancel a flight:
a) for bad weather conditions?
b) for mechanical reasons?
Reimbursement? Next available flight on Southwest (even if that means in 2 weeks - policy of Ryanair)? Flights of other airlines to same destination? Meals, hotel rooms and telephone calls?
Last edited by sn26567 on 02 Jul 2006, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567