Good news for EBAW (Antwerpen Deurne airport)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

foxtrot_lima_yankee

Good news for EBAW (Antwerpen Deurne airport)

Post by foxtrot_lima_yankee »

I translate this article I just read on the Streekkrant Groot Antwerpen:

What about Airport Deurne?

At this moment, the Belgian minister Kris Peeters has three options for the airport of Deurne:
The Avenue Krijgsbaan which avoids the extension of the runway will be burried under the ground (tunnel) or a detour will replace it, or both.

The full tunneling of the Krijgsbaan project will cost 32 million euros.
Replacing the Krijgsbaan by creating a detour vua the Fort III will be a lot cheaper and cost 5 million euros.
A mix of both with a shorter detour distance will cost 20 million euros.

These renovations will help build a safety-marge at both ends of the runway. That will make the runway much more efficient, even if kepping the same length (1510m), and an extension in th length will not even be necessary. The runway will thus not be extended but for safety, trees around Fort III will be chopped off. The minister will compensate these trees by planting trees on another property of about 3has spending 200 000 euros.
Due to these contributions to safety, the Flemish prefecture expects a rise in passenger capacity of the airport from its actual 150 000 pax to 300 000.

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

It could be good news indeed, but it isn't.

What the honourable minister hasn't said, is that the final decision will only be taken in March 2007. The reason is obvious - for Belgian citizens: we have municipal elections in October 2006.

Futher more: the three options are already known for years now. The only thing that is needed now, is a ministrial decision.

In January 2007, just after the new local authorities are in place, the same minister will hold a press conference, and advise the public he has three options which will be examinated.

foxtrot_lima_yankee

Post by foxtrot_lima_yankee »

Interesting LX-LGX, you might be right.
Here again, politics mix up...
Although the decision will only take place next year it is a pleasure to know that they haven t forgotten our airport.
I hope that they can get some kind of contract with low-fare airlines after the expansion so we won t need to get to EBCI to catch our Ryanair flights. Would be really great!

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

foxtrot_lima_yankee wrote: I hope that they can get some kind of contract with low-fare airlines after the expansion so we won t need to get to EBCI to catch our Ryanair flights. Would be really great!
That would be really great indeed !

I remember in the past often going to Deurne to board a Delta Air Transport (the true Antwerpse DAT) flight to Amsterdam, or Brussels (purely for pleasure) or to take a chartered plane : FH 227B, CV 440, DC6, and even DC3 !

I remenber ANR as a very pleasant airport, not too big but professional and friendly. And moreover, it's nearer than Charleroi, for the many LCC users who live in Brussels, and, of course, Antwerp.