FS X the next Flight simulator

The place for all your flight-sim experiences, questions, etc...
abishay

FS X the next Flight simulator

Post by abishay »

:? Sorry for people who were waiting for FS 2006 but the plan was changed and its now FS X. :D My words are not good enough to describe it but jus read this article at http://www.fsnordic.net/

Guess when its coming out Feb 2006

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

sorry to dissapoint you but it will be more like summer 2006!

MS is preparing an official press release (note that the above information is UNofficial) that will follow soon.
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

abishay

Post by abishay »

killerwhale65 wrote: (note that the above information is UNofficial) that will follow soon.
I reckon but i know a link to an official information and on the official information it says that we will be able to see roads and animals in farms if you are low flying 8O

:D I will try to find the lik and post :D

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't FS 2004 also known as FS 9?
That would mean that FS 2006 would also be known as FS 10 or FS X...

Not sure though.

abishay

Post by abishay »

Buzz wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't FS 2004 also known as FS 9?

Not sure though.
:D yes you are right its also called FS10

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

Not sure though.
i dont think the name FS 2006 will be used. Like they didnt continue after windows 98 and 2000 (now XP - nobody says windows 2002).

So it will be Flight Simulator X (or FS10).
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

killerwhale65 wrote:

Not sure though.
i dont think the name FS 2006 will be used. Like they didnt continue after windows 98 and 2000 (now XP - nobody says windows 2002).

So it will be Flight Simulator X (or FS10).
:offtopic: but there is windows 2003 ;) I don't know what to expect, FS-X of FS-10, but my bet goes to FS-10 as FS-X sound too 'cheap' for a serious simulator

Sebas

Post by Sebas »

Now it's official.

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0106/FSX/qanda.html

Looks great 8).

Regards,
Sebas

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

What do they mean with: " Yes, for the first time “Flight Simulator” will ship on DVD only in order to provide the highest level of detail and realism for the product and we do not plan to offer a CD-based version." How can you play a game on DVD?

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Sabena320 wrote:What do they mean with: " Yes, for the first time “Flight Simulator” will ship on DVD only in order to provide the highest level of detail and realism for the product and we do not plan to offer a CD-based version." How can you play a game on DVD?
Hu? Did you never burned a data DVD or so? Why wouldn't it be possible to play with a DVD? :?
Tot hier en verder

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

Normally it's on CD-rom but maybe it's the same.

twinsen

Post by twinsen »

1 DVD in stead of 4 CD's is more convenient, but what about response time? Could loading data from a (potential +4GB) DVD disc affect speed?
Maybe it's just to store more and better textures and will only be used during installation..

Sabena320

Post by Sabena320 »

twinsen wrote:Maybe it's just to store more and better textures and will only be used during installation..
Could be because with FS04 you only need your disc 4 to start up the game but not while playing.

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Yahoo!

That's excellent news!

Anyway I think they want to stop people using no cd-cracks! these cracks basically allow people to copy the game then keep it in an extremely easy way! With a dvd rom if u want a a no dvd crack, the crack will have to use 4.7 gb of free space! A mate of mine tried it with civilisation 4(great game btw) and said it was just not worth it anymore!

Does that make sense?

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

twinsen wrote:1 DVD in stead of 4 CD's is more convenient, but what about response time? Could loading data from a (potential +4GB) DVD disc affect speed?
Maybe it's just to store more and better textures and will only be used during installation..
What do you mean? You just need to install it, why would anything affect your speed :?

The DVD is just to burn less CD's. If 1 DVD can replace 4 - 5 CD's it costs less for Microsoft to burn it.

@Vinnie : And why would a DVD crack use 4 GB :? It's just a small file that makes that you don't have to use your CD/DVD, and will never has a size of 4 GB. You are mixing up some things here.
Tot hier en verder

AFApresident

Post by AFApresident »

:wub: Maybe I am a silly customer but check this out

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0106/FSX/fsx002.jpg
http://www.avsim.com/pages/0106/FSX/fsx016.jpg

This looks amazing. If the other rumors are correct of default Airbus models, better water effects on your windshield etc etc.

Than it may actually be worth the $50.

max size of images is 800 wide, these are "only" 1600 ...

stroman

Post by stroman »

jan_olieslagers wrote:
...the graphical improvements are just a bait, some outward show, to make the silly customers bite. As I read their announcement, there is no improvement apart graphics (which is what silly customers go for) and no guarantee on backwards compatibility, so we might well be obliged to buy new versions of our favorite add-ons... But no mention of changes to the core flight engine (which is not bad, let's admit it), no improvements on ATC (my big complaint about present versions), no details of added planes or scenery though I guess there will be some small additions in these last two domains.
With all respect, but where do you read all this? You are judging a product that hasn't even reached beta yet. I agree, Microsoft is keen on our money, but which commercial company isn't? They aren't doing this work as a deed of charity...
I don't have Microsoft-stocks, nor do I work for them. But I don't like the negativism in your message.
You talk about silly users who only want graphics. I don't think these users form the majority of the flightsim-public. These guys might buy it, but they throw it in a shelve a few days later and continue to play Need for Speed, Doom, etc.
I think most MSFS-clients buy the product because they want to simulate the real world of aviation as realistic as possible. The world outside the cockpit-window, to me and many others if you read the forums now and then, is a factor that add's immensely to the realism. Those millions of identical square tiles underneath you as you are flying above 10000ft really bother me in FS9, that's why I bought add-on's such as FScene textures, BEV-textures and Ultimate terrain. If MS decides to include the quality of all these add-on's in their next release, I win money, I don't lose it.
I do however totally agree to the fact that graphics isn't the only thing that needs improvement, but where do you read that the ATC will stay the same, that they won't include any new planes etc? Let's just wait and see what MS tells us in the forthcoming months and make our own, well thought-over decision to buy it or not?

grtz,

stroman :wink:

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Can someone please just give links to the pictures? Looks awful so big ...
Tot hier en verder

Bottie

Post by Bottie »

AFApresident wrote::wub: Maybe I am a silly customer but check this out

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0106/FSX/fsx002.jpg
http://www.avsim.com/pages/0106/FSX/fsx016.jpg

This looks amazing. If the other rumors are correct of default Airbus models, better water effects on your windshield etc etc.

Than it may actually be worth the $50.

Now I really need to know on what kind of PC you can play this with these graphics smoothly ... I suggest we start saving money for some hardware-upgrades ... unless these are rendered images off-course

Airbus_fan wrote:Can someone please just give links to the pictures? Looks awful so big ...

At your service ...

This is less spectacular: http://www.avsim.com/pages/0106/FSX/fsx025.jpg