List of new and likely long-haul brussels routes

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

OrientThai

Post by OrientThai »

This:
:arrow:
Jet Airways offers new service on Mumbai – Brussels – Newark
(09 June 2005)
Effective summer 2005, the Indian carrier Jet Airways will commence scheduled flight operations from Mumbai, India to Newark (New York), via Brussels. The new service will be operated six times a week, Monday to Saturday, using Airbus 340-300E aircraft configured with 38 business class seats and 231 economy seats. Jet Airways hopes to increase this frequency to a daily flight later this year.

For Brussels Airport, Jet Airways’ new scheduled services to/from
Mumbai confirm the renewed need for direct flights to Asia. This is a significant development for Brussels Airport, as its first major route to Asia since 2001. The new service marks the first long haul success following the introduction of a comprehensive airline marketing programme developed jointly by Macquarie Airports and BIAC.

Jet Airways started domestic operations within the Indian market in
1993 and emerged as the best domestic airline of India in a short span
of years. Today it is India’s biggest airline and one of the fastest
growing airlines in the world. It strives to provide service of the highest standard to its customers, both on ground and in-flight service. Jet Airways is proud to be one of the few airlines in the world to receive the ISO 9001 certification for their in-flight services

Jet Airways said that the combined Brussels/New York flight responds to a strong demand for a connection between India, the United States and the capital of the European Union. With the choice of the World financial capital New York, and the heart of European administration and economic decision making Brussels, this new Jet Airways service satisfies to those needs..
And also why are there so many problems (mainly noise problem) with Hainan and far less with 9W or Etihad. :?:

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

About Jet Airways we know that, nothing news under the sun. But Hainan, that's new and nothing mentionend on the site of BIAC.
Today in "De Tijd" Yves Leterme wants clear sound restrictions for all the parts in Belgium, particular Zaventem, Brussels, Oostrand, Noordrand. That's the reason why Hainan is holding the boat and maybe other long haul carriers. Not the main reason of course. This is despite of all the negotations between Belgium and China.

In the mean time Renaat Landuyt is finished it's "decreet" about the sound restrictions, so this can fixed now in a law.

snowflake

Post by snowflake »

B737229 wrote:Doesn't look very good, even Tokyo , is not in the pipeline. If one Asian city should be served from BRU it must be Tokyo! It is a capital city for asia
TYO not in the pipeline? Let's say that "an airline" will be increasing its flights between JP and EUR in 2006. BRU is one of the options where this new flight could come to...

SF

regi

Post by regi »

Was Tokyo not served by Sabena?
Who went bankrupt?

Jean

Post by Jean »

snowflake wrote:
B737229 wrote:Doesn't look very good, even Tokyo , is not in the pipeline. If one Asian city should be served from BRU it must be Tokyo! It is a capital city for asia
TYO not in the pipeline? Let's say that "an airline" will be increasing its flights between JP and EUR in 2006. BRU is one of the options where this new flight could come to...

SF
PLease clarify the airline, for i do not have much faith in this message...
I would hope somebody would fly BRU-NRT but still, i'm in big doubt

B737229

Post by B737229 »

regi wrote:Was Tokyo not served by Sabena?
Who went bankrupt?
If I remember well SN had to give up this line, because SR wanted to get all the pax travelling to TYO via ZRH. THe same scenario happened with the daily JNB flight.

Bob_Marcotte

Post by Bob_Marcotte »

ERICAIRLINES wrote:
bru-yul is confirmed for...april 2006 by AC

I know someone working at network and planning for AC ,they will also relaunch yul-nce/fco/mad/cas/gva....

it will be a 4 times a week ops with a b767

We already have Air Transat (twice a week) on that route.

I'm not saying you are lying but I'll have to see it before I believe it...

Flying-Belgian

Post by Flying-Belgian »

Tokyo has a LOT of potential if well run and manged... That's the point.

ANA's BRU offline office is one of the most profitable in Europe.

FB.

itami

Post by itami »

Jean_EVA_Air wrote:
snowflake wrote:

SF
PLease clarify the airline, for i do not have much faith in this message...
I would hope somebody would fly BRU-NRT but still, i'm in big doubt
That should of course be ANA or JAL and most probably in code share with SNBA. :cheers:

A380-800

Post by A380-800 »

I hope I will be in BRU anytime soon again to see those Jet Airways
Airbusses there ! :D

rgds,

A380-800

teach

Post by teach »

If I remember well SN had to give up this line, because SR wanted to get all the pax travelling to TYO via ZRH. THe same scenario happened with the daily JNB flight.
Both Tokyo and Johannesburg were dropped because SN lost money on them. Yes, the flights were full, but at very low yields. In the last years, SN needed a load factor of more than 100% (!) to break even on JNB, so every single flight was losing a truckload of money.

A380-800

Post by A380-800 »

Why did SN lost so much money on these routes ? I mean, was it a
pricing issue or what goes wrong there ?

rgds,

A380-800

teach

Post by teach »

It was a mix of several things: overcapacity, and also the value of the Rand (local currency) made it virtually impossible to operate the JNB flight profitably. Don't forget that several other European carriers stopped their JNB flights around that time.

A380-800

Post by A380-800 »

I am personally really sad that SAB closed their business, I had
really good contacts in engineering department and our company
was working very close with them. :cry:

Anyway - thank you, teach, for clarification !

rgds,

A380-800

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Wasn't there weeks ago a rumour that JNB will be served again from Bru?

A380-800

Post by A380-800 »

Do you possibly know the aircraft type for BRU to JNB ?

rgds,

A380-800

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

No not at all. But this came above when there was mentioned that SN is looking for a fourth A330. SN is actualy searching and looking to expand in Africa. so, JNB was one of the "possible" destinations.

I think that we can expect some more info the next months. I, from my part, check my sources at SN.

regi

Post by regi »

Imagine if managment goes for a fresh approach: fly to Cape Town! There are very few direct connections between Cape Town and Europe. Okay, the tourist season is just from December to march. But the rest of the year people would also use it for JNB connections.
There is a real demand for CPT flights, and even short CPT breaks are on the rise, leaving the rest of South-Africa behind. The tourism around CPT is of a very high level, well paying, quality demanding.
Maybe SNBA could make a deal with 1Time, one of the local low cost carriers doing the connection JNB - CPT. (besides of Kulula, Nationwide, SAA, Comair/BA)

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

regi wrote:Imagine if managment goes for a fresh approach: fly to Cape Town! There are very few direct connections between Cape Town and Europe. Okay, the tourist season is just from December to march. But the rest of the year people would also use it for JNB connections.
There is a real demand for CPT flights, and even short CPT breaks are on the rise, leaving the rest of South-Africa behind. The tourism around CPT is of a very high level, well paying, quality demanding
When SNBA would do that, they should minimize risk on that route. They should sell all (or most of the seats) to tourist organisations (like TUI or Thomas Cook, neither have flights to South Africa, or do they?). When they sell them they should do that for a price in which they know for sure that they will make (a small) profit. For example, a flight costs E15.000 to operate and they should sell it for E18.000 to Thomas Cook (figures are all made up). Then they know for sure that they will make a bit profit, but do not need sell the seats/fill the aircraft. So the risk for that new route is all with the tourist organisation. If they decide to axe it because of insufficient demand, SNBA has not lost any money then. :wink:

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

It's a good alternative to fly to Cape Town, with a stopover in an other possible new destination.

What about KLM and BA. They fly also to Cape Town. Are they making profit on these routes?