Belarus forces diversion to Minsk of Ryanair flight carrying a dissident in order to arrest him

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Belarus forces diversion to Minsk of Ryanair flight carrying a dissident in order to arrest him

Post by sn26567 »

After Ryanair, Lufthansa ?

Earlier today, Minsk airport received a threat (from whom?) of a terrorist attack against Lufthansa LH1487 Minsk-Frankfurt.

From a Lufthansa spokesperson: "We confirm that a security alert has been issued to local authorities for LH1487 MSQ-FRA. They search the aircraft & recheck pax & cargo. There will be delays. We regret the inconvenience. Security always has the highest priority at Lufthansa."

The flight eventually departed two hours late, at 13.22 UTC (15.22 CET), with all passengers and baggage on board (A319 reg. D-AIBD) and is flying over the Czech Republic (after Poland) at the time of writing.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Re: Belarus forces diversion to Minsk of Ryanair flight carrying a dissident in order to arrest him

Post by sn26567 »

From the UK Secretary of Transport Grant Shapps: "Following the forced diversion of a Ryanair aircraft to Minsk yesterday, I’ve instructed UK CAA to request airlines avoid Belarusian airspace in order to keep passengers safe. I have also suspended Belavia’s operating permit."
André
ex Sabena #26567

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

sn26567 wrote: 24 May 2021, 12:28
The initial statement of Ryanair, which did not mention the fact that two passengers were abducted, was very weak and caused an outrage among travellers and the press. This made Ryanair react (by fear of losing passengers who do not feel safe anymore on Ryanair flights) and finally condemn the air piracy of the Belarussian authorities.

Well, I can understand why they didn't make further statements (or gave more details) only minutes after all this happened...
They are an airline, not politicians.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Hamas threatened to down Ryanair flight that diverted to Minsk, Belarusian government now says ...

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/ryan ... ment-says/

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

And tomorrow another story ?

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

I doubt it can get better than this
Its pretty awsome already
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Lux_avi wrote: 24 May 2021, 17:24
sn26567 wrote: 24 May 2021, 12:28 The initial statement of Ryanair, which did not mention the fact that two passengers were abducted, was very weak and caused an outrage among travellers and the press. This made Ryanair react (by fear of losing passengers who do not feel safe anymore on Ryanair flights) and finally condemn the air piracy of the Belarussian authorities.
Well, I can understand why they didn't make further statements (or gave more details) only minutes after all this happened...
They are an airline, not politicians.
Nobody expects that Ryanair condemned the air piracy, minutes after it happened. But their first press release, without any referral at all to what happened, was sent out about five hours after landing. When all media outlets already had reported all details.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Communiqué of European Council President Charles Michel on the incident involving a forced landing of a Ryanair flight in Minsk, Belarus:
"...I condemn in the strongest possible terms the forced landing of a Ryanair flight in Minsk, Belarus, on 23 May 2021 and the reported detention by Belarusian authorities of journalist Raman Pratasevich. I call on Belarus authorities to immediately release the detained passenger and to fully guarantee his rights. EU leaders will discuss this unprecedented incident tomorrow during the European Council. The incident will not remain without consequences..."
https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2021/05/23/communique-of-european-council-president-charles-michel-on-the-incident-involving-a-forced-landing-of-a-ryanair-flight-in-minsk-belarus-on-23-may/

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Lufthansa suspends use of the Belarusian airspace.

The journalist arrested yesterday is now detained at Minsk.

United Kingdom requests airlines to avoid Belarusian airspace and suspends Belavia’s operating permit : https://www.aviation24.be/airports/mins ... avias-aoc/

AFP : Ukraine president orders halt to flights to Belarus and through Belarus airspace.

https://twitter.com/BelgiumMFA/status/1 ... 1376418829
"Ambassador of #Belarushas been summoned by @Sophie_Wilmes.

The unjustified & unacceptable acts of the past hours will not remain without consequences. Also called for the release of Mr. #Protasevich. Reminded of our support for the democratic aspirations of the Belarusians."

https://twitter.com/icao/status/1396863877892255744
"ICAO's Council President has called an urgent meeting of the 36 diplomatic representatives to the ICAO Council, on 27 May, on the incident involving Ryanair Flight FR4978 in Belarus airspace on 23 May 2021. We will post further updates as available."

https://twitter.com/kjovano/status/1396906824788582408
KLM to temporarily halt flights over Belarus - ANP, Reuters
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

SN501

Post by SN501 »

EU bans Belarus airlines in European airpsace. (Euronews)

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

SN501 wrote: 24 May 2021, 22:18 EU bans Belarus airlines in European airpsace. (Euronews)
Actually they ban Belavia from EU airports and airspaces and EU airlines are requested to avoid BY airspace.
https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/pres ... -may-2021/
Last edited by TLspotting on 24 May 2021, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

TLspotting wrote: 24 May 2021, 21:15
United Kingdom requests airlines to avoid Belarusian airspace and suspends Belavia’s operating permit : https://www.aviation24.be/airports/mins ... avias-aoc/

And six minutes after that tweet, BA621 LHR-ISB took a sharp left bank before reaching BY airspace.
"Whot d'ya think Hoskins? Shall we have enough fuel to make it to Islamabad?"
"Well, if need be we can always top up in Kabul".
"Err, thanks but no thanks. Let's go for Domodedovo"
BA261 LHR ISB  diverted to DME.png
They took off 90 minutes later, heading for ISB.

H.A.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

What exactly does ban mean? Or when will it start ... when we see the list of Belavia flights to the European Union today? Is this again a political blah?

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

nordikcam wrote: 26 May 2021, 13:06 What exactly does ban mean? Or when will it start ... when we see the list of Belavia flights to the European Union today? Is this again a political blah?
Their flight to BCN is circling at 34000ft near the border with Poland right now (still within Belarus airspace).

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Lux_avi wrote: 26 May 2021, 13:20
nordikcam wrote: 26 May 2021, 13:06 What exactly does ban mean? Or when will it start ... when we see the list of Belavia flights to the European Union today? Is this again a political blah?
Their flight to BCN is circling at 34000ft near the border with Poland right now (still within Belarus airspace).
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 9#27d532bb

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Lux_avi wrote: 26 May 2021, 13:20
B2 869 to BCN is circling yes, but B2 895 to WAW is entering...why a diference ? And B2 868 from AMS is flying...so, blah ?

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

nordikcam wrote: 26 May 2021, 13:54
B2 869 to BCN is circling yes, but B2 895 to WAW is entering...why a diference ? And B2 868 from AMS is flying...so, blah ?
I don't think Belavia is strictly denied access in the EU at this time?
Spain was probably pro-active and more restrictive than other EU countries in this case?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Lux_avi wrote: 26 May 2021, 17:50
Spain was probably pro-active and more restrictive than other EU countries in this case?
France apparently said no, thanks.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/be ... 021-05-26/

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Passenger wrote: 26 May 2021, 18:38
Lux_avi wrote: 26 May 2021, 17:50
France apparently said no, thanks.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/be ... 021-05-26/
Thx. It's not european ban, there are some national bans. I understand better. So national ban and european blah !

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Air France was forced to cancel its flights between Paris and Moscow on 26 and 27 May already.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air- ... RjxAjRKjuE