Air Belgium in 2021

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

ZavCity

Re: Air Belgium in 2021

Post by ZavCity »

For many Dutch people BRU is closer than EIN!
gtz

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

OO-ABG A330-900neo operating flight AB1603 BRU-PHX-BRU today.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Willy Borsus, Vice-Minister of Wallonia told Air Belgium is to extend its route for Mauritius to La Réunion starting in December 2021.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

TLspotting wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 20:53 Willy Borsus, Vice-Minister of Wallonia told Air Belgium is to extend its route for Mauritius to La Réunion starting in December 2021.
It was rumored for several months at RUN indeed, and much hoped for by them.

H.A.

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

TLspotting wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 20:53 Willy Borsus, Vice-Minister of Wallonia told Air Belgium is to extend its route for Mauritius to La Réunion starting in December 2021.
Borsus .. pusching extensions out BRU ?

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Airbus330lover wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 21:28
Borsus .. pusching extensions out BRU ?
Air Belgium HQ is in Wallonia and the airline is indirectly financed by Wallonia so I guess he has his word to say ;)

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Quite illogic ..... well he has his word to say, but.... i still don't understand....

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

TLspotting wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 20:53 Willy Borsus, Vice-Minister of Wallonia...
Rather Vice-President of the Government of Wallonia!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

They extended the runway of CRL precisely for that kind of airline and that kind of route...
There is a hidden agenda most likely
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

sn26567 wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 21:50
TLspotting wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 20:53 Willy Borsus, Vice-Minister of Wallonia...
Rather Vice-President of the Government of Wallonia!
Oopsie :lol:

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

Airbus330lover wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 21:43 Quite illogic ..... well he has his word to say, but.... i still don't understand....
Why illogic?
He's maybe someone who sees profit before his regional ideas..?

BRU most likely attracts more people, it's easier to reach by public transport, and it's much more comfortable than the extremely low-cost airport that CRL is.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Lux_avi wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 09:23
Airbus330lover wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 21:43 Quite illogic ..... well he has his word to say, but.... i still don't understand....
Why illogic?
He's maybe someone who sees profit before his regional ideas..?

BRU most likely attracts more people, it's easier to reach by public transport, and it's much more comfortable than the extremely low-cost airport that CRL is.
What make you say that CRL is a "extremely low-cost" airport? Yes the cost structure is lower tjan BRU as it's a regional airport like LIL, OST, EIN, or LGG. But from the service it's providing, what make of it a, as you call "extremely low-cost airport" you have everything you need there and apart from a direct train connection, CRL is much more reachable than BRU.

Stij

Post by Stij »

crew1990 wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 10:17 What make you say that CRL is a "extremely low-cost" airport? Yes the cost structure is lower tjan BRU as it's a regional airport like LIL, OST, EIN, or LGG. But from the service it's providing, what make of it a, as you call "extremely low-cost airport" you have everything you need there and apart from a direct train connection, CRL is much more reachable than BRU.
Well, truth be told... it has improved, especially on the food offerings.

But the whole tent situation and the (so it feels) permanent works in front of the terminal aren't very welcoming.

On being reachable... that depends on where you live... ;-)

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

crew1990 wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 10:17

What make you say that CRL is a "extremely low-cost" airport? Yes the cost structure is lower tjan BRU as it's a regional airport like LIL, OST, EIN, or LGG. But from the service it's providing, what make of it a, as you call "extremely low-cost airport" you have everything you need there and apart from a direct train connection, CRL is much more reachable than BRU.
:|

People who fly long-haul arrive 2-3 hours before STD at the airport. There is absolutely no area where you can relax in CRL, no seats available in the terminal at peak hours, poor duty-free shops, few "restaurants", a little quickly arranged "lounge", airport staff who doesn't speak anything else than French most of the time. CRL is not comfortable and it hasn't been designed for that, quite obviously.

And indeed, the entry/exit to the terminal is absolutely horrendous.
A first impression that says everything about the airport.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Yes indeed French and English is the most used languages in CRL are you surprised, was you maybe expecting that everyone speak Polish maybe? By the way have a try to speak French in our dear National Airport you would be surprised how people react to you. And can we speak about Antwerp Aerodrome? Do you think they speak something else than flemish there. I see lot of frustration in you message sorry that a Walloon airport have so much succes

Lux_avi

Post by Lux_avi »

crew1990 wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 12:13 Yes indeed French and English is the most used languages in CRL are you surprised, was you maybe expecting that everyone speak Polish maybe? By the way have a try to speak French in our dear National Airport you would be surprised how people react to you. And can we speak about Antwerp Aerodrome? Do you think they speak something else than flemish there. I see lot of frustration in you message sorry that a Walloon airport have so much succes
Well, it doesn't have any success for long-haul...because the airport is designed to be fort low-cost short haul maybe?

I'm not frustrated about that, it's just what it is.

convair

Post by convair »

Lux_avi wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 12:33 Well, it doesn't have any success for long-haul...because the airport is designed to be fort low-cost short haul maybe?
I'm not frustrated about that, it's just what it is.
You're right: it was certainly not designed for the current traffic. And today's success was never expected. They are trying to expand/modernize step by step with the (lack of) financial resources of the Walloon Region. Extending the runway to allow for long haul flights is a good idea as the era of jumbo planes seems to be over and usually less crowded regional airports are getting ready to cope with more long-haul traffic, thereby alleviating the bigger airports.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

convair wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 13:08 usually less crowded regional airports are getting ready to cope with more long-haul traffic, thereby alleviating the bigger airports.
Isn't that more so to regional airports which serve a city with a major airport that is near full capacity?

BRU is far from that and in a bigger scope a regional airport on itself, compared to other major airports. Now many airlines have BRU bound or originating pax transferred to major hub airports. They'd rather serve the Brussels and Belgian market directly from BRU i.s.o. CRL.

PttU

Post by PttU »

Conti764 wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 14:44 BRU is far from that and in a bigger scope a regional airport on itself, compared to other major airports. Now many airlines have BRU bound or originating pax transferred to major hub airports. They'd rather serve the Brussels and Belgian market directly from BRU i.s.o. CRL.
Which has nothing to do with Air Belgium, which is the topic here.
Air Belgium is a low-cost airline, no hub/spoke-model there, so it would make sense for them to fly from a low-cost airport... But from a customer point of view, it would only make sense to move the RUN-flights to CRL if they're only trying to take a piece of the northern French market, by competing with the different options from Paris. If they would be looking for attracting a new market share (passengers from the north of Belgium, or even the Netherlands) it would make more sense to stay at BRU.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Maybe another destination from BRU that could be profitable for Air Belgium is Cape Town. Especially during the winter months there's a lot of Belgians, (especially from the North) flying form BRU to CPT via AMS, FRA, LHR, IST, DXB, DOH and ADD.