Impact of the coronavirus crisis on aviation

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Passenger

Re: Impact of the coronavirus crisis on aviation

Post by Passenger »

261/2004: contrary to what some airlines say, there is no Italian flight ban to/from Italy. Yes, there is a negative travel advice, but it's only for tourism, not for business travel. And the WHO is not the deciding authority for aviation: ICAO is. This is the relevant quote from the Italian government, updated 10th March 2020:

"...Sull’intero territorio nazionale gli spostamenti per motivi di turismo sono assolutamente da evitare. I turisti italiani e stranieri che già si trovano in vacanza debbono limitare gli spostamenti a quelli necessari per rientrare nei propri luoghi di residenza, abitazione o domicilio. Poiché gli aeroporti e le stazioni ferroviarie rimangono aperti, i turisti potranno recarvisi per prendere l'aereo o il treno e fare rientro nelle proprie case. Si raccomanda di verificare lo stato dei voli e dei mezzi di trasporto pubblico nei siti delle compagnie di trasporto terrestre, marittimo e aereo..."

Translated by Google: "... On the whole national territory, travel for tourism reasons is absolutely to be avoided. Italian and foreign tourists who are already on vacation must limit travel to those necessary to return to their places of residence, home or home. Since the airports and railway stations remain open, tourists can go there to take the plane or train and return to their homes. It is recommended to check the status of flights and public transport on the websites of the land, sea and air transport companies..."

Source:
http://www.governo.it/it/articolo/decre ... erno/14278

- - -

Some local authorities may install a full flight ban (example the Swedish government). Such full travel ban then is extraordinary circumstance indeed.But only for the flights between those two countries.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Luxair cancels all flights to Milan, Venice, Roma and Florence until 03/04/20 included. Last flights to Milan on 12 & 13/03/20, to Rome on 12 & 15/03/20. Cancelled flights will be refunded automatically.

Flight frequencies will be reduced outside Italy, please check the status of your flight on http://luxair.lu. Travel and entry restrictions may be in effect at final or transit destinations.

El Al is planning to place 80% of its 6,300 employees on unpaid leave as revenues drop amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Lufthansa Group
announces 23,000 flight cancellations for April 2020

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/coro ... pril-2020/
André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

airBaltic to decrease capacity further and reduce staff

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/airb ... uce-staff/

ERA welcomes regulatory decisions waiving slot rules but insists more must be done on EU261 and crew training certificates

https://www.aviation24.be/organisations ... tificates/

Brussels Airlines suspends all its flights to and from Italy between 12 March and 3 April

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... d-3-april/
More restrictions for LOT (more news in LOT topic)...
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Aéroports de Paris (ADP) privatization postponed.

Due to the development surrounding the coronavirus, Austrian Airlines reduces flight programme up to 50 percent

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... 0-percent/
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

[Coronavirus] Danmark is closing down for the next two weeks

"Danmark lukker ned" or "Danmark is closing down", Danmark's Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen announced during a press meeting. In two days, not later than 13 March, the country will close schools and universities and will send all civil non-critical servants home. Public indoor gatherings of over 100 people are not allowed and pubs have to stay closed. 

Not sure yet what it will mean for flights to/from the country.

https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous ... two-weeks/

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

El Al is delaying the launch of its new routes to Chicago, Tokyo and Düsseldorf to summer 2020, because of the outbreak of coronavirus.

EU regulators have temporarily waived the 80% slot rule which will allow airlines to respond to market conditions with appropriate capacity levels without the risk of losing slots. Similarly, one day later, FAA is temporarily waiving minimum slot-use requirements at some congested US airports to help airlines that cancel flights due to the coronavirus.

SAS has invited unions to discuss a 20% work and pay cut for all employees as it fights to mitigate the effects of a slump in demand due to the coronavirus outbreak.

TAP Air Portugal will immediately cancel flights with lower demand, reducing capacity by 4% in March and 6% in April 2020, which represents a total of around 1000 flights.

Turkish Airlines has announced the cancellation of all flights to Nigeria due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Norwegian government plans to help airlines secure funding that will allow them to remain in operation while bookings fall due to the coronavirus outbreak.

US President Donald Trump said his administration will provide assistance to airlines as a result of the coronavirus outbreak, without offering any details.
André
ex Sabena #26567

EBKT

Post by EBKT »

Malta bans all travel from France, Switzerland, Germany and Spain besides the already existing travel ban for Italy.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

President Trump canceled travel from 26 European countries to the US for the next 30 days, beginning Friday at midnight.

He tweeted the ban would apply to "people not goods" after stock futures tumbled on the prospect of a trade freeze.

My comment : good luck finding enough full freighters to do the same job.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

KLM tweets: following the entry ban for European countries announced by Donald Trump, we are going to make an inventory of the impact of this measure today. As soon as more is known we will publish it on our newsroom and our flight disruption page

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Acid-drop wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 08:17 President Trump canceled travel from 26 European countries to the US for the next 30 days, beginning Friday at midnight.

He tweeted the ban would apply to "people not goods" after stock futures tumbled on the prospect of a trade freeze.

The unguided missile strikes again with a purely opportunistic measure. This has nothing to do with corona but all with throwing toys out of the pram and doing as much economic damage as possible.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sean1982 wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 10:48
Acid-drop wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 08:17 President Trump canceled travel from 26 European countries to the US for the next 30 days, beginning Friday at midnight.

The unguided missile strikes again with a purely opportunistic measure. This has nothing to do with corona but all with throwing toys out of the pram and doing as much economic damage as possible.
Exactly! The fact that the UK and Ireland are excluded from the travel ban, despite the number of cases, shows that it is a purely political game aimed at dividing Europeans.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

The result might be a 3 year long global recession
Note quite a game
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

sn26567 wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 11:01

Exactly! The fact that the UK and Ireland are excluded from the travel ban, despite the number of cases, shows that it is a purely political game aimed at dividing Europeans.
And boosting US airlines (as americans tend to travel with them) while crashing EU airlines. I think Europe should AT LEAST retaliate with a 30 day ban for US citizens into Europe.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

It is obvious that Trump is playing politics and I find it hard to see the EU not responding by banning the entry of American citizens and American companies for a month!

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I think the measures taken by Mr Trump indeed haven't been thought through very much, if at all even, beyond just the fact that it will show him decisive in the face of this crisis.

The man clearly is in full panic mode now, not listening to any scientific advice and obviously fearing the only thing that matters to him personally: that this is going to cost him an until last week all but sure re-election in November in the wake of a booming US economy and a buoying stock market... both are going down the drain right now, and so is his likely election, IMHO.

It's 2008 all over again: with Corona being Trump's own Leeman Brothers.
Poor decisions by GW Bush costed the Republicans the elections too... and the world ended up in a financial crisis it took a long time to recover from. Let's hope some lessons have been learnt from that episode, at least outside of the US.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

sean1982 wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 14:06
sn26567 wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 11:01

And boosting US airlines (as americans tend to travel with them) while crashing EU airlines. I think Europe should AT LEAST retaliate with a 30 day ban for US citizens into Europe.
I wonder how many Americans will travel to Europe in the coming weeks, especially with Trump now almost declaring Europe as a hazardous area to avoid.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

LATAM Airlines Group and its subsidiaries announced a reduction in international flights of approximately 30% due to lower demand and government travel restrictions in reaction to the spread of coronavirus.

SAS to seek state emergency aid, amid the coronavirus outbreak. CEO Rickard Gustafson does not think all airlines will survive without state aid.

Wideroe was forced to cut another 1,500 flight departures until 31 May 2020, in addition to the 4,000 flights already announced.
André
ex Sabena #26567

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

Finnair suspending India for a month.
Last edited by globetrotter on 13 Mar 2020, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

The impact on aviation is huge, cash drain will be the next enemy for the weaker airlines.

Scope Ratings mailed is this analysis: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/avia ... port-hard/

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

globetrotter wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 20:06
Finnair suspending India for a month.
India is banning entry of all non-Indian nationals for a month that is why Finnair has decided to, a number of airlines may have to suspend ops there eventually as well.