Impact of the coronavirus crisis on aviation

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

TLspotting

Impact of the coronavirus crisis on aviation

Post by TLspotting »

So far.

Wuhan Airport closed since 23 January 2020.

Air Canada suspends Beijing and Shanghai routes (29 January - 29 February).

Air France suspends Paris CDG - Beijing Capital, - Shanghai Pudong and - Wuhan routes (30 January - 9 February). Air France followed KLM, announcing that Amsterdam Schiphol - Beijing Capital, - Chengdu, - Hangzhou, - Shanghai Pudong and - Xiamen routes are suspended until 9 February, as AF.

Air KBZ, together with Myanmar National Airlines and Myanmar Airways International suspend their Chinese routes from 1 February.

Air Koryo and Air China suspend Beijing Capital - Pyongyang route.

Air India suspends Mumbai - Delhi - Shanghai (31 January - 14 February), Hong Kong route still operated.

Air Madagascar (including Air Austral codeshare) suspends La Réunion - Antananarivo - Guangzhou (1 February - 1 March).

American Airlines suspends flights from Los Angeles to Beijing Capital and Shanghai Pudong from 9 February until 27 March due to "significative demand decrease". Dallas Fort Worth - Beijing and Shanghai routes still operate.

British Airways was the first European airline to suspend its operations to China, from London Heathrow to Beijing Capital and Shanghai Pudong (29 February - 3 February), bookings unavailable until March, Hong Kong not affected.

Cathay Dragon suspends Hong Kong - Wuhan route until 29 February.

Cathay Pacific will step by step decrease its flights to mainland China, at least the 1/2 of the flights, from 30 January until end March.

Delta Air Lines changes a lot. From 6 February until 30 April, only 21 weekly flights to China (iso 42), Beijing with up to 3 or 4 weekly flights from Detroit and Seattle. Shanghai Pudong will get the same frequency from Atlanta, Detroit, Los Angeles and Seattle.

Egyptair suspends Cairo - Beijing Capital, - Guangzhou, - Hangzhou, and - Hong Kong routes from 1 February.

Finnair will suspend a few flights to China, but still flies to Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Guangzhou.

Iberia suspends Madrid Barajas - Shanghai Pudong route from 29 January till March.

Lion Air Indonesia suspends all Chinese flights from 29 January, including Changzhou, Changsha, Chengdu, Chongqing, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Jinan, Nanchang, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Tianjin, Wuhan, Xi'an.

Lufthansa Group (Lufthansa / Swiss / Austrian Airlines) cancel flights to mainland China (29 January - 9 February). Destinations are Nangjing, Beijing, Shanghai, Shenyang and Qingdao. Hong Kong operations not affected.

Indigo suspends Delhi - Chengdu and Bengaluru - Hong Kong (1 February - 20 February), Kolkata - Guangzhou still operated.

SAS suspends flights from Copenhagen to Shanghai Pudong and Beijing Capital from 31 January until 9 February, closes sales until 29 February. Hong Kong route still operates.

SkyUp Airlines suspends to China from 3 February until 28 March.

UIA suspends (immediately?) until 24 February 2020.

United Airlines suspends a few flights to Beijing Capital, Shanghai Pudong and Hong Kong, from 1 to 8 February.

Ural Airlines suspends all European flights (claiming that some Chinese groups use Ural Airlines to Europe), including Larnaca, Bordeaux, Paris CDG, Frankfurt, Munich, Budapest, Rimini, Rome FCO, Venice, London STN.

Virgin Atlantic suspends its flights to Shanghai (2 February - 16 February).

I might have forgotten some... ;)
Last edited by TLspotting on 24 Feb 2020, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

Homo Aeroportus

Re: Airlines suspending or readjusting China routes due to Coronavirus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Not completely closed.

G0108/20 NOTAMN
Q) ZHWH/QFALT/IV/NBO/A/000/999/3047N11413E005
A) ZHHH B) 2001231100 C) 2002021559 EST
E) AD NOT AVBL FOR ALTN EXCEPT EMERGENCY FLIGHT.

Lots of "emergency flights".
This afternoon : An ANA 76 from Haneda, a Wamos 74 from Hanoi.
Currently : a CZ 788 from FCO, a KE 74 to ICN.
WUH traffic 202001302140Z.png

France said they will send an aircraft to repatriate nationals. Should land in "Bouches-du-Rhone" so I guess could be BA125 at Istres.

H.A.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

9H-MIP as well. Expected at Brussels on Saturday.

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 22:53 E) AD NOT AVBL FOR ALTN EXCEPT EMERGENCY FLIGHT.

You misread the notam!
Aerodrome not available for alternate, meaning they don’t accept traffic diverting from other airports unless it’s an emergency.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Poiu wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 23:02
Homo Aeroportus wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 22:53 E) AD NOT AVBL FOR ALTN EXCEPT EMERGENCY FLIGHT.

You misread the notam!
Aerodrome not available for alternate, meaning they don’t accept traffic diverting from other airports unless it’s an emergency.
Hmm, so it looks like you had again a bad day Poiu?

TLspotting wrote the AD is closed. I responded in saying not completely closed.

I often perceive a degree of aggressiveness in most of your posts lately, not specifically towards me but in general.
May I suggest that you reconsider your mode of expression in the future?

Thank you.

H.A.

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 23:17
Poiu wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 23:02

You misread the notam!
Hmm, so it looks like you had again a bad day Poiu?

TLspotting wrote the AD is closed. I responded in saying not completely closed.

I often perceive a degree of aggressiveness in most of your posts lately, not specifically towards me but in general.
May I suggest that you reconsider your mode of expression in the future?

Thank you.

H.A.
The interpretation you gave to this specific notam is not correct, that’s the only thing I wrote.
It was not my intention to aggress anyone.

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

ALTN refused ok, but the flight are planned ! not diverted

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

repat flight EB8471 EC-KXN Wamos Air B747-400 now enroute to BZZ Brize Norton Air Force Base (U.K.):
https://www.flightradar24.com/PLM8471/23b5120c

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

http://www.startribune.com/delta-suspen ... 567459702/

Delta now decides to cancel all flights to China for 3 months.
Previously they planned to reduce their schedule by 50%.

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

TLspotting wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 22:56 9H-MIP as well. Expected at Brussels on Saturday.
No A380 is expected at this moment.

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

TLspotting wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 22:56 9H-MIP as well. Expected at Brussels on Saturday.

The aircraft is still in Paris. It was supposed to left Paris to Wuhan via Hanoi, this morning, but flight will depart tomorrow morning nd still planned to back to Paris

EDIT: i have just checked again, with a friend working at Paris CDG, and the flight plan still showing a Paris CDG-Hanoi flight, for tomorrow. Last update (about flight plan) this afternoon.

Kenya Airways, Royal Air Maroc, Air Algerie and RwandAir have also suspended flights to China.
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

Pakistan too suspended all flights to China on directive of concerned authority, services between the two are operated by PIA, Air China and China Southern, FR24 data shows China's YTO Cargo Airlines has also been affected by this.

Israel also barrs flights from China affecting El Al, Hainan and Sichuan Airlines, but Hong Kong services continue.
Last edited by globetrotter on 31 Jan 2020, 22:38, edited 3 times in total.

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

Italy stops flights by Chinese carriers, Alitalia too ends service to China.

So Chinese carriers are now out of:

Israel
Italy
Pakistan

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Charlie Roy wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 16:56 Delta now decides to cancel all flights to China for 3 months.
Not only Delta Air Lines, but also American Airlines and United Airlines are suspending flights to China:

United suspending Feb 6 to March 28
Delta suspending Feb 6 to April 30
American suspending today through March 27
André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

British Airways suspends bookings for Beijing and Shanghai until 29 February.

Finnair suspends all flights to mainland China from 6 February to 29 February (Guangzhou cancelled from 5 Feb until 29 March, Beijing Daxing and Nanjing cancelled until 29 March as well).

LOT Polish Airlines suspends all services to China from 31 January until 9 February.

Qantas suspends Shanghai and Beijing routes from 9 February, Hong Kong still operated.

Turkish Airlines suspends Beijing, Guangzhou, Shanghai and Xi'an from 30 January until 9 February.

Vietnam Airlines suspends Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen routes from 4 February, then Macau route, 2 days later.

Singapore Airlines to reduce capacity on some of its routes to mainland China in February 2020 due to the growing scale of the coronavirus epidemic.Scoot said it would be suspending flights to 11 cities in China as well.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Air New Zealand is temporarily reducing its Shanghai operations from 18 February to 31 March 2020, as it prepares for a decline in demand for travel between New Zealand and China.

Hong Kong Airlines is finalising plans to cut hundreds of jobs, as the worsening coronavirus outbreak has thrown the company’s existence into further uncertainty.

Kenya Airways has suspended flights from Nairobi to Guangzhou, China until further notice due to health safety reasons.

Jetstar Pacific is adjusting its operational plan regarding flight routes between Vietnam and China. Flights are suspended or reduced due to the coronavirus.
André
ex Sabena #26567

globetrotter

Post by globetrotter »

Qatar Airways also suspending.

Vietjet too is suspending after Vietnam barred flights to.from China, affecting Chinese carriers as well, Vietnam is the fourth country to suspend services of Chinese airlines.

Singapore's Jetstar Asia has also stopped flights there.

Air Tanzania have also cancelled inaugural flight to the country.

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

Hainan Airlines will stop flying SZX - BRU and reduce PEK by canceling the Sunday flight till end of March

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Kapitein wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 21:53 Hainan Airlines will stop flying SZX - BRU and reduce PEK by canceling the Sunday flight till end of March
First impact on Brussels Airport operations...

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

9H-MIP destination is really confused, some say Paris CDG, a few others say Istres and the remaining ones Brussels...