BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Atlantis »

PttU wrote: 30 Aug 2019, 23:52
Atlantis wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 13:15 SN should open more direct flights to business destinations with a high frequency
When they can't fill the planes that would be a loss-making strategy, so it would be stupid to do so...
And why focus on connecting passengers flying to business destinations, and thereby neglecting leisure travelers from your home market? Leave that home market to competitors?
That is a very strange way of thinking. So according to you the home carrier should focus more on holiday destinations instead of business and connecting pax. Well whit this kind of model you can implement EW here than.

Holiday flights should be secondary and not the main purpose. Or even better to have a second holiday carrier, but yeah SN took over those flights of Thomas Cook.

Sorry but as main carrier, member of Star, etc they should focus much more on business destinations with a high frequency bcs otherwiss the market here will simply go to our neighbour countries

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Atlantis wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 11:54
Atlantis wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 13:15 SN should open more direct flights to business destinations with a high frequency
When they can't fill the planes that would be a loss-making strategy, so it would be stupid to do so...
And why focus on connecting passengers flying to business destinations, and thereby neglecting leisure travelers from your home market? Leave that home market to competitors?
That is a very strange way of thinking. So according to you the home carrier should focus more on holiday destinations instead of business and connecting pax. Well whit this kind of model you can implement EW here than.

Holiday flights should be secondary and not the main purpose. Or even better to have a second holiday carrier, but yeah SN took over those flights of Thomas Cook.

Sorry but as main carrier, member of Star, etc they should focus much more on business destinations with a high frequency bcs otherwiss the market here will simply go to our neighbour countries
And higher yield also!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

PttU

Post by PttU »

No. Just as much direct flights to business destinations as are profitable. Adding more flights, higher frequencies just for the sake of it isn't a good strategy, right? If just one or two flights daily are full enough to be profitable, they shouldn't add a second or third to fly underfilled planes. Then it's better to have a full plane to a leisure destination.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

PttU wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 17:31

No. Just as much direct flights to business destinations as are profitable. Adding more flights, higher frequencies just for the sake of it isn't a good strategy, right? If just one or two flights daily are full enough to be profitable, they shouldn't add a second or third to fly underfilled planes. Then it's better to have a full plane to a leisure destination.
Business people prefer to have options.
Connecting people are not interested in flights to Lanzarote but a good main carrier who will fly them to the next business destination.

Why are you so fixed in only leisure flights?

PttU

Post by PttU »

Atlantis wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 18:07
PttU wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 17:31

Business people prefer to have options.
Connecting people are not interested in flights to Lanzarote but a good main carrier who will fly them to the next business destination.

Why are you so fixed in only leisure flights?
I'm not, why are you so fixed on only business flights?
You can't fill 20 A320 flights to business destinations with connecting passengers from only 5 incoming A330's... Hence there needs to be a balance between business (both connecting and point to point) and leisure. A delicate balance, but a balance nevertheless. And I'm afraid only SN knows exactly how many passengers are on which flights, so which destinations are profitable, close-to-profitable or which ones are only maintained because they're needed for connecting passengers or other reasons. Only business flights won't make them suddenly profitable (even though business travellers might bring more revenue per ticket), neither will leisure flights only (probably selling more tickets at a lower margin), so they need both. And off course they need the passengers no matter what, no matter where...

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Regarding leisure flights, as far as I remember they have an agreement with Thomas Cook as SN is not selling leisure flights on their own. So SN is receiving a fixed price. Correct me in this if I'm wrong

But, Leisure flights should be the minor part, even not 50%. Business is the main purpose.

Even on not or not attractive flights but with very expensive, valuable cargo, those flights are profitable. I speak here only about a few ones

Ge203

Post by Ge203 »

Atlantis wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 13:26 Regarding leisure flights, as far as I remember they have an agreement with Thomas Cook as SN is not selling leisure flights on their own. So SN is receiving a fixed price. Correct me in this if I'm wrong

But, Leisure flights should be the minor part, even not 50%. Business is the main purpose.

Even on not or not attractive flights but with very expensive, valuable cargo, those flights are profitable. I speak here only about a few ones
Leisure flights are totally bookable for anyone (not only TC clients), and most of the time open to connecting passengers. Only flight numbers beginning with 11XX/10XX and 99XX are positioning / charter flights and aren't open to reservations. So yeah on paper you can fly TXL-BRU-FNC...

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

Atlantis wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 13:26 Regarding leisure flights, as far as I remember they have an agreement with Thomas Cook as SN is not selling leisure flights on their own. So SN is receiving a fixed price. Correct me in this if I'm wrong

You can book flights to some SN-destinations from 29 EUR onwards.

That is ridiculous. If SN continues the EW or FR strategy they will loose tons of money.

Time to go back to a sound business modell, with more stress on business destinations.

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Maybe, but if I check at several moments, there are only some at that price (one way).

We want to go to a leisure destination for a week or 10 days at the end of the year or early next year (had no holidays yet) and most tickets are at much higher prices, e.g. 160€ in Januari to go to Tenerife (>300€ in December). Or 135€ (also return) to go to Malaga in December.

Prices which are fine for us. We do not need to fry for (almost) free ... [And no, I am not a rich person :D ]

Cheers,
Danny

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

It could be me.. But i think the last post/discussions here has no direct link with this subject.

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

A3 - Aegean to introduce its new A320 neo's on the 2 daily ATH - BRU - ATH route.

Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-30aug19/

HQ_BRU_Lover

Post by HQ_BRU_Lover »

In the article, I see:
"Planned 166-seater A320neo operation as follows."

-> I know it's up to companies themselves to decide, but isn't the 320NEO designed to be a 180 or 189 seater?

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »

From a Greek aviation site - the translation is 186 seats the Neo's will have.

https://www.airliners.gr/community/view ... 75#p202975

Mark

Post by Mark »

sn26567 wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 18:14
Mark wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 13:55 I would love to have a route between Asturias(OVD) and Brussels. Zaventem would be a great option. Brussels Airlines, Ryanair or Vueling would be interesting options.
There has been an OVD-BRU route in the past, operated by Iberia. It failed. Why would it be more successful now?
Profitability depens on several variables: timetable, capacity, operation days, price..... Now with low-cost airlines I think the route might be profitable. We hace direct routes in summer with Venice and Munich with excellent results. Brussels is very importan because we don´t have flights to Paris and have Brussels will allow us to connect by train with Amsterdam and Paris for tourism, business....

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

sn26567 wrote: ↑
23 Aug 2019, 18:14
Mark wrote: ↑
23 Aug 2019, 13:55
I would love to have a route between Asturias(OVD) and Brussels. Zaventem would be a great option. Brussels Airlines, Ryanair or Vueling would be interesting options.
There has been an OVD-BRU route in the past, operated by Iberia. It failed. Why would it be more successful now?
Profitability depens on several variables: timetable, capacity, operation days, price..... Now with low-cost airlines I think the route might be profitable. We hace direct routes in summer with Venice and Munich with excellent results. Brussels is very importan because we don´t have flights to Paris and have Brussels will allow us to connect by train with Amsterdam and Paris for tourism, business....
Well, a link with a Belgian airport would definitely be of interest to my company. we have some growing customer base in Asturias and need good connections from our Belgian plant to the area. Now our salesmen and technicians are losing days in commuting through Bilbao or Madrid. A direct flight would certainly help to shorten the traveltime.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Brussels Airlines launches Montréal - YUL as from 29 March 2020, 5 times per week :

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... a-in-2020/
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

And Air Canada launches Toronto - Brussels as from 1 May 2020

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air- ... -brussels/

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

So who flies to/fro YYZ between Jan and May 2020?

H.A.

travellover

Post by travellover »

TLspotting wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 12:55 Brussels Airlines launches Montréal - YUL as from 29 March 2020, 5 times per week :

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... a-in-2020/
Good news for SN.
TS has merged with AC now, if I'm correct.
Does that mean that the launch of this SN ''5 times per week'' flight between YUL and BRU is in addition to
AC and that they will continue to fly daily to/from YUL ?
Last edited by travellover on 04 Sep 2019, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Is Air Canada stopping the Montreal flight?
Hasta la victoria siempre.