BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4250
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Atlantis » 04 Oct 2019, 09:22

sn26567 wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 22:25
Atlantis wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 08:21
Keep an eye on Air Senegal. They will announce this week the new destinations for their second A330.
For the moment, BRU is not their first priority. What they want to open now is a second French destination, Marseille. The other destinations are Barcelona, Washington and New York.

We will know more this week
We know: Air Senegal plans to commence Dakar – Marseille – Barcelona – Dakar route on 09 December 2019. But indeed BRU is not yet in the picture.
And according to the latest, first flights to The States will be next year. Those will be also direct flights.
BRU is totally not in the picture

User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4250
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Atlantis » 04 Oct 2019, 09:27

Conti764 wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 00:34
Atlantis wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 13:28
Like we could read here in this topic regarding South Afrika and Kenia. Forget about the first one. SAA is in trouble for years and they also axed their IAD route. SN has not the planes. This route could be only 2 max 3 times a week but there are no candidates.

Regarding South America. Keep an eye on Delta. They are building up a very interesting network. They "buy" other airlines but they don't let them to have a membership with Skyteam. Those airlines are spread over the continents. I would not be surprised if in a few years they create a new alliance and going out of Skyteam. That's why contacts with Delta are extremely important. Boston can be still with them. South America not as they would like you to go via Atlanta.

Avianca is than the only good solution and giving SIA fifth freedom if you want to keep it in one alliance
DL relies heavily on its different joint-ventures and with AF/KL being on of them, there is no place for BRU in the scheme, except for select flights they already offer today.
I know, the have very strong bound with AF/KLM, that's why they are also doing very well. They respect each other and grow together. This is strong contradiction between SN and LH...
But DL has also very strong bounds with Virgin Atlantic. DL is really not a stupid company, they have smart management and they are spread over the world regarding acquisitions in airlines. Risk is let's say minimal if you can say like this in aviation.
One extra destination for them at BRU would be great to work on and to be successful. Boston is that destination.

User avatar
sounilr21
Posts: 31
Joined: 12 May 2019, 14:11
Location: Namur, Belgium
Contact:

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by sounilr21 » 04 Oct 2019, 11:08

Atlantis wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 09:27
Conti764 wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 00:34
Atlantis wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 13:28
Like we could read here in this topic regarding South Afrika and Kenia. Forget about the first one. SAA is in trouble for years and they also axed their IAD route. SN has not the planes. This route could be only 2 max 3 times a week but there are no candidates.

Regarding South America. Keep an eye on Delta. They are building up a very interesting network. They "buy" other airlines but they don't let them to have a membership with Skyteam. Those airlines are spread over the continents. I would not be surprised if in a few years they create a new alliance and going out of Skyteam. That's why contacts with Delta are extremely important. Boston can be still with them. South America not as they would like you to go via Atlanta.

Avianca is than the only good solution and giving SIA fifth freedom if you want to keep it in one alliance
DL relies heavily on its different joint-ventures and with AF/KL being on of them, there is no place for BRU in the scheme, except for select flights they already offer today.
I know, the have very strong bound with AF/KLM, that's why they are also doing very well. They respect each other and grow together. This is strong contradiction between SN and LH...
But DL has also very strong bounds with Virgin Atlantic. DL is really not a stupid company, they have smart management and they are spread over the world regarding acquisitions in airlines. Risk is let's say minimal if you can say like this in aviation.
One extra destination for them at BRU would be great to work on and to be successful. Boston is that destination.
Delta (and Skyteam) could play an important card in its game to develop in Brussels: Boston would be the perfect third destination after Atlanta and JFK or why not Detroit ?
But maybe other destinations (in China for example). Schiphol seems to be very close to saturation. Why not consider BRU as "alternative" between CDG and AMS. Delta makes very smart choices in its strategy.

About Star Alliance, only Air Canada seems to want to strengthen in Brussels.
No news of a line opening with United ? About SFO ?
Lufthansa seems to want to "minimize" the role of Brussels Airlines in Star Alliance by keeping a fog around his plans. In these circumstances, it is difficult for a Star Alliance partner (such as Singapore or even Asiana) to see a real interest to coming in Brussels. Singapore is in a joint venture with Lufthansa Group in Frankfurt, Munich and Zurich, why not extend this joint venture with Brussels Airlines ?

Still no news of the Oman Air project about Muscat?

User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4250
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Atlantis » 04 Oct 2019, 12:50

sounilr21 wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 11:08
Atlantis wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 09:27
Conti764 wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 00:34


DL relies heavily on its different joint-ventures and with AF/KL being on of them, there is no place for BRU in the scheme, except for select flights they already offer today.
I know, the have very strong bound with AF/KLM, that's why they are also doing very well. They respect each other and grow together. This is strong contradiction between SN and LH...
But DL has also very strong bounds with Virgin Atlantic. DL is really not a stupid company, they have smart management and they are spread over the world regarding acquisitions in airlines. Risk is let's say minimal if you can say like this in aviation.
One extra destination for them at BRU would be great to work on and to be successful. Boston is that destination.
Delta (and Skyteam) could play an important card in its game to develop in Brussels: Boston would be the perfect third destination after Atlanta and JFK or why not Detroit ?
But maybe other destinations (in China for example). Schiphol seems to be very close to saturation. Why not consider BRU as "alternative" between CDG and AMS. Delta makes very smart choices in its strategy.

About Star Alliance, only Air Canada seems to want to strengthen in Brussels.
No news of a line opening with United ? About SFO ?
Lufthansa seems to want to "minimize" the role of Brussels Airlines in Star Alliance by keeping a fog around his plans. In these circumstances, it is difficult for a Star Alliance partner (such as Singapore or even Asiana) to see a real interest to coming in Brussels. Singapore is in a joint venture with Lufthansa Group in Frankfurt, Munich and Zurich, why not extend this joint venture with Brussels Airlines ?

Still no news of the Oman Air project about Muscat?
We had Detroit a few years ago with Northwest Airlines. At that time we had 5 big American companies at BRU. Before the mergers.
Detroit became after an economic dead city. The economy, car industry, collapsed. Detroit is for the moment less attractive than Boston.

The existing Star companies are growing a bit in BRU. As we know, AC will open a second route from Canada while UA will add the second B787-10 to BRU.
We could expect also in future bigger equipment of Ethiopian.

There is still one big one in the pipeline but as always they hesitate and hesitate bcs they have also strong bound with LH. It would be really nice, and this is what we are hoping for, that they finally would announce it before this month end.

But BRU needs more bcs it is standing still for the moment. Cargo is doing bad bcs of trade war, companies who left and still no link with the new Chinese carrier.

But there is no positive growth for the moment in pax. There is still more than enough space during the morning and especially during afternoon and evening.

LH left SN behind as a sick child. They have to heal themselves, recover and standing alone. Somehow I cannot imagine that LH would like to SN going bankrupt, but it is also not helping, not supporting. This reboot plan will be really hard. And as we know Belgians, they always backwards when it goes about saving costs, they don't invest more to harvest later.

On this way LH is keeping SN very small and let BRU also not grow.

Two possibilities: you have to support your home carrier, but you are also limited in this bcs you don't run this company. So than you have to negotiate with the two other alliances, OneWorld and Skyteam, to use BRU more as an option. AMS will never use BRU as a satellite airport bcs they want to keep the progress and better economy in their own country. Look at the NL government, they have billions as savings, they have money too much to invest, while the Belgian government has huge debts....
Links with China and South America is very needed and much more flights to Africa. Africa is really the continent to be

Second option but a bit more tricky and again Belgian political issues is to let Air Belgium fly from BRU or at least certain flights. Let them open some needed routes

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1597
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Conti764 » 04 Oct 2019, 17:14

The big one with strong ties to LH: SQ?

User avatar
sounilr21
Posts: 31
Joined: 12 May 2019, 14:11
Location: Namur, Belgium
Contact:

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by sounilr21 » 05 Oct 2019, 11:04

Atlantis wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 12:50
sounilr21 wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 11:08
Atlantis wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 09:27


I know, the have very strong bound with AF/KLM, that's why they are also doing very well. They respect each other and grow together. This is strong contradiction between SN and LH...
But DL has also very strong bounds with Virgin Atlantic. DL is really not a stupid company, they have smart management and they are spread over the world regarding acquisitions in airlines. Risk is let's say minimal if you can say like this in aviation.
One extra destination for them at BRU would be great to work on and to be successful. Boston is that destination.
Delta (and Skyteam) could play an important card in its game to develop in Brussels: Boston would be the perfect third destination after Atlanta and JFK or why not Detroit ?
But maybe other destinations (in China for example). Schiphol seems to be very close to saturation. Why not consider BRU as "alternative" between CDG and AMS. Delta makes very smart choices in its strategy.

About Star Alliance, only Air Canada seems to want to strengthen in Brussels.
No news of a line opening with United ? About SFO ?
Lufthansa seems to want to "minimize" the role of Brussels Airlines in Star Alliance by keeping a fog around his plans. In these circumstances, it is difficult for a Star Alliance partner (such as Singapore or even Asiana) to see a real interest to coming in Brussels. Singapore is in a joint venture with Lufthansa Group in Frankfurt, Munich and Zurich, why not extend this joint venture with Brussels Airlines ?

Still no news of the Oman Air project about Muscat?
We had Detroit a few years ago with Northwest Airlines. At that time we had 5 big American companies at BRU. Before the mergers.
Detroit became after an economic dead city. The economy, car industry, collapsed. Detroit is for the moment less attractive than Boston.

The existing Star companies are growing a bit in BRU. As we know, AC will open a second route from Canada while UA will add the second B787-10 to BRU.
We could expect also in future bigger equipment of Ethiopian.

There is still one big one in the pipeline but as always they hesitate and hesitate bcs they have also strong bound with LH. It would be really nice, and this is what we are hoping for, that they finally would announce it before this month end.

But BRU needs more bcs it is standing still for the moment. Cargo is doing bad bcs of trade war, companies who left and still no link with the new Chinese carrier.

But there is no positive growth for the moment in pax. There is still more than enough space during the morning and especially during afternoon and evening.

LH left SN behind as a sick child. They have to heal themselves, recover and standing alone. Somehow I cannot imagine that LH would like to SN going bankrupt, but it is also not helping, not supporting. This reboot plan will be really hard. And as we know Belgians, they always backwards when it goes about saving costs, they don't invest more to harvest later.

On this way LH is keeping SN very small and let BRU also not grow.

Two possibilities: you have to support your home carrier, but you are also limited in this bcs you don't run this company. So than you have to negotiate with the two other alliances, OneWorld and Skyteam, to use BRU more as an option. AMS will never use BRU as a satellite airport bcs they want to keep the progress and better economy in their own country. Look at the NL government, they have billions as savings, they have money too much to invest, while the Belgian government has huge debts....
Links with China and South America is very needed and much more flights to Africa. Africa is really the continent to be

Second option but a bit more tricky and again Belgian political issues is to let Air Belgium fly from BRU or at least certain flights. Let them open some needed routes
Overall, I agree with your comments.

The hesitations are not good for Brussels Airlines and BRU airport.

I agree that without LH, Brussels Airlines would, no doubt, have gone bankrupt. Without LH, renovation of A330s would not have been possible. But important choices must be made.
I hope that it will be beneficial, in long term, for Brussels Airlines. I really like Brussels Airlines and it hurts me to see the company in this situation.
The African network is really important for Brussels Airlines and Brussels Airport.

So, concerning the development of Brussels Airport, I don't see where is the trouble to discuss with the other alliances and therefore multiply the possibilities of contacts. It's a simple business ;-)

About Skyteam,
An example that Delta believes in BRU, it deploy the 767-400 with the new interior as early as 2020 on JFK and Atlanta routes.
Saudi Arabia will develop his tourism. This, maybe, an opportunity to negotiate with Saudia.

I read on this forum that Oman Air wants to develop in Europe and Brussels was in the projects of the company.

Bringing new companies to BRU could boost competition and thus benefit customers.

User avatar
lumumba
Posts: 1613
Joined: 04 Sep 2003, 00:00
Location: brussels Europe

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by lumumba » 05 Oct 2019, 13:35

Is there a chance that Emirates starts flying with the A380?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Ansett
Posts: 403
Joined: 13 Apr 2016, 19:12

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Ansett » 05 Oct 2019, 14:31

Saudia at BRU is probaly not for the near future. The Kingdom still has to develop its tourist industry (which can be done a loft faster than in a country like Belgium). However, its tourism, imho, will mainly target arab/muslim tourists (I'm not saying there is no market for that in Belgium, but perhaps the market is not significant enough). So, I would not bet on Saudia as a newcomer at BRU.

As far as Oman Air is concerned, if I correctly read between the lines, they indeed intended to fly to BRU.
However, either they found a better potential by flying to FRA and MUC, or LH convinced them to fly to FRA and MUC and code-share on LH flights to a number of destinations like BRU).

I would not exclude Oman Air to fly to BRU one day, but then either with an "en route" stop (for instance in NCE, I'm just giving Nice as a theoretical example), or they would fly nonstop to BRU and continue to (for instance) MAN, BHX, DUB (AMS ?).

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35492
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by sn26567 » 05 Oct 2019, 17:24

lumumba wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 13:35
Is there a chance that Emirates starts flying with the A380?
In one word: NO!

There simply isn't a market for a capacity larger than the two daily 777-300ERs.
André
ex Sabena #26567

User avatar
lumumba
Posts: 1613
Joined: 04 Sep 2003, 00:00
Location: brussels Europe

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by lumumba » 05 Oct 2019, 18:59

sn26567 wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 17:24
lumumba wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 13:35
Is there a chance that Emirates starts flying with the A380?
In one word: NO!

There simply isn't a market for a capacity larger than the two daily 777-300ERs.
I understand I will not discuss your knowledge but their market seems huge knowing Brussels has only 5 links to Asia.( even not daily)

If you compare with others airports around doesn't look much knowing again that this part of world is growing much.

If there is enough space for SQ I think there is still space for Emirates to grow?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

User avatar
sounilr21
Posts: 31
Joined: 12 May 2019, 14:11
Location: Namur, Belgium
Contact:

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by sounilr21 » 06 Oct 2019, 15:04

Ansett wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 14:31
Saudia at BRU is probaly not for the near future. The Kingdom still has to develop its tourist industry (which can be done a loft faster than in a country like Belgium). However, its tourism, imho, will mainly target arab/muslim tourists (I'm not saying there is no market for that in Belgium, but perhaps the market is not significant enough). So, I would not bet on Saudia as a newcomer at BRU.

As far as Oman Air is concerned, if I correctly read between the lines, they indeed intended to fly to BRU.
However, either they found a better potential by flying to FRA and MUC, or LH convinced them to fly to FRA and MUC and code-share on LH flights to a number of destinations like BRU).

I would not exclude Oman Air to fly to BRU one day, but then either with an "en route" stop (for instance in NCE, I'm just giving Nice as a theoretical example), or they would fly nonstop to BRU and continue to (for instance) MAN, BHX, DUB (AMS ?).
It's just an idea from my mind ;-)

In my own opinion, Brussels Airport have a great potential for expansion. But the "hesitations" around LH and SN brake expansion (about the star alliance's partners).

That's why, for me, talking with other airlines might be interesting and maybe exciting.
We all know that LH save SN in life (for the moment) to block the competition to land in BRU. It's no fairplay ;-)

A little off-topic, i have a small questions :
Why Brussels Airlines and Air New Zealand do not working together beetween BRU and Heathrow (codeshare) ?
If you would booking a flight beetween BRU and LAX (for exemple) with Air New Zealand, you need a connection in LHR Terminal 2 (Star Alliance). But the BRU-LHR is operated by Bristish Airways and no Brussels Airlines (however in the same alliance and in the same terminal in LHR). Tickets sales together on the NZ's website. See the picture for example.
Attachments
example.PNG

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35492
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by sn26567 » 06 Oct 2019, 17:42

sounilr21 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 15:04
A little off-topic, I have a small question:
Why Brussels Airlines and Air New Zealand do not work together between BRU and Heathrow (codeshare)?
If you would booking a flight between BRU and LAX (for example) with Air New Zealand, you need a connection in LHR Terminal 2 (Star Alliance). But the BRU-LHR is operated by British Airways and no Brussels Airlines (however in the same alliance and in the same terminal in LHR). Tickets sales together on the NZ's website. See the picture for example.
Not at all off-topic. Cooperation within the Star Alliance is far from perfect. For example, in the past, SN cooperated with LO (to WAW), SK (to CPH, OSL, ARN), TK (to IST), ET (to ADD), etc. All these codeshares have been cancelled over the years in the name of competition. But then, why create an alliance if the companies inside the alliance are fighting against each other?

The NZ case seems to be a little different; New Zealand is still part of the Commonwealth and has probably in its DNA to look first at British colleagues when searching connecting flights in London.
André
ex Sabena #26567

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1597
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Conti764 » 06 Oct 2019, 17:56

sn26567 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 17:42
sounilr21 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 15:04
A little off-topic, I have a small question:
Why Brussels Airlines and Air New Zealand do not work together between BRU and Heathrow (codeshare)?
If you would booking a flight between BRU and LAX (for example) with Air New Zealand, you need a connection in LHR Terminal 2 (Star Alliance). But the BRU-LHR is operated by British Airways and no Brussels Airlines (however in the same alliance and in the same terminal in LHR). Tickets sales together on the NZ's website. See the picture for example.
Not at all off-topic. Cooperation within the Star Alliance is far from perfect. For example, in the past, SN cooperated with LO (to WAW), SK (to CPH, OSL, ARN), TK (to IST), ET (to ADD), etc. All these codeshares have been cancelled over the years in the name of competition. But then, why create an alliance if the companies inside the alliance are fighting against each other?

The NZ case seems to be a little different; New Zealand is still part of the Commonwealth and has probably in its DNA to look first at British colleagues when searching connecting flights in London.
I highly doubt the kind of sentiments play a roll in tje decision making.

PttU
Posts: 311
Joined: 24 Nov 2015, 15:07

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by PttU » 06 Oct 2019, 21:49

The LAX-flight arrives at 11:45 AM? That would mean you're planned to take BA396, departing at 13:40 and arriving at 15:50 at BRU. After 11:45, the first SN-flight isn't scheduled until 17:50, which would mean an inconvenient long layover... So I guess they're taking passenger-comfort over alliance-loyalty?

JOVAN
Posts: 423
Joined: 08 Jun 2006, 00:00

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by JOVAN » 06 Oct 2019, 22:14

Conti764 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 17:56
sn26567 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 17:42
sounilr21 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 15:04
A little off-topic, I have a small question:
Why Brussels Airlines and Air New Zealand do not work together between BRU and Heathrow (codeshare)?
If you would booking a flight between BRU and LAX (for example) with Air New Zealand, you need a connection in LHR Terminal 2 (Star Alliance). But the BRU-LHR is operated by British Airways and no Brussels Airlines (however in the same alliance and in the same terminal in LHR). Tickets sales together on the NZ's website. See the picture for example.
Not at all off-topic. Cooperation within the Star Alliance is far from perfect. For example, in the past, SN cooperated with LO (to WAW), SK (to CPH, OSL, ARN), TK (to IST), ET (to ADD), etc. All these codeshares have been cancelled over the years in the name of competition. But then, why create an alliance if the companies inside the alliance are fighting against each other?

The NZ case seems to be a little different; New Zealand is still part of the Commonwealth and has probably in its DNA to look first at British colleagues when searching connecting flights in London.
I highly doubt the kind of sentiments play a roll in tje decision making.
I am highly sure that the Anglo-Saxon brothership works and will always work.
200% sure.
NZ is Little Britain overseas.

User avatar
sounilr21
Posts: 31
Joined: 12 May 2019, 14:11
Location: Namur, Belgium
Contact:

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by sounilr21 » 06 Oct 2019, 22:24

sn26567 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 17:42
sounilr21 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 15:04
A little off-topic, I have a small question:
Why Brussels Airlines and Air New Zealand do not work together between BRU and Heathrow (codeshare)?
If you would booking a flight between BRU and LAX (for example) with Air New Zealand, you need a connection in LHR Terminal 2 (Star Alliance). But the BRU-LHR is operated by British Airways and no Brussels Airlines (however in the same alliance and in the same terminal in LHR). Tickets sales together on the NZ's website. See the picture for example.
Not at all off-topic. Cooperation within the Star Alliance is far from perfect. For example, in the past, SN cooperated with LO (to WAW), SK (to CPH, OSL, ARN), TK (to IST), ET (to ADD), etc. All these codeshares have been cancelled over the years in the name of competition. But then, why create an alliance if the companies inside the alliance are fighting against each other?

The NZ case seems to be a little different; New Zealand is still part of the Commonwealth and has probably in its DNA to look first at British colleagues when searching connecting flights in London.
Thanks dear ;-) for the complement of information.

Off course, the target of an alliance : working together with more convergence. But politics and history past can playing roles on airlines individual's strategy. Star Alliance has a big potential if he working together : all airlines.

I'm not an "air-expert" but i like to get more information and asking questions.

User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4250
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Atlantis » 06 Oct 2019, 22:37

That's a very good attitude Sounilr21. The more you ask, the more you will know

User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4250
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Atlantis » 06 Oct 2019, 23:02

lumumba wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 18:59
sn26567 wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 17:24
lumumba wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 13:35
Is there a chance that Emirates starts flying with the A380?
In one word: NO!

There simply isn't a market for a capacity larger than the two daily 777-300ERs.
I understand I will not discuss your knowledge but their market seems huge knowing Brussels has only 5 links to Asia.( even not daily)

If you compare with others airports around doesn't look much knowing again that this part of world is growing much.

If there is enough space for SQ I think there is still space for Emirates to grow?
Regarding SQ, no question about it that there is room for them. The demand is there too and they have exactly this time the right type of airplane to operate to BRU. This regarding low emissions, noise, etc.

Emirates is growing for sure. They have very strong figures for BRU and it is increasing. If the bilateral agreements would be better than nowadays than you will see more of them.
Last edited by Atlantis on 06 Oct 2019, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4250
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Atlantis » 06 Oct 2019, 23:07

sn26567 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 17:42
sounilr21 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 15:04
A little off-topic, I have a small question:
Why Brussels Airlines and Air New Zealand do not work together between BRU and Heathrow (codeshare)?
If you would booking a flight between BRU and LAX (for example) with Air New Zealand, you need a connection in LHR Terminal 2 (Star Alliance). But the BRU-LHR is operated by British Airways and no Brussels Airlines (however in the same alliance and in the same terminal in LHR). Tickets sales together on the NZ's website. See the picture for example.
Not at all off-topic. Cooperation within the Star Alliance is far from perfect. For example, in the past, SN cooperated with LO (to WAW), SK (to CPH, OSL, ARN), TK (to IST), ET (to ADD), etc. All these codeshares have been cancelled over the years in the name of competition. But then, why create an alliance if the companies inside the alliance are fighting against each other?

The NZ case seems to be a little different; New Zealand is still part of the Commonwealth and has probably in its DNA to look first at British colleagues when searching connecting flights in London.
Those airlines like LOT, ET, TK were as a matter of fact taking away pax from BRU to fly them by themself on their long haul. Those airlines are growing very rapidly and are offering very short transfers and very nice long haul destinations. No surprise that SN stopped to codeshare

jerry
Posts: 23
Joined: 03 Jul 2014, 18:34

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by jerry » 07 Oct 2019, 13:52

sounilr21 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 22:24
sn26567 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 17:42
sounilr21 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 15:04
A little off-topic, I have a small question:
Why Brussels Airlines and Air New Zealand do not work together between BRU and Heathrow (codeshare)?
If you would booking a flight between BRU and LAX (for example) with Air New Zealand, you need a connection in LHR Terminal 2 (Star Alliance). But the BRU-LHR is operated by British Airways and no Brussels Airlines (however in the same alliance and in the same terminal in LHR). Tickets sales together on the NZ's website. See the picture for example.
Not at all off-topic. Cooperation within the Star Alliance is far from perfect. For example, in the past, SN cooperated with LO (to WAW), SK (to CPH, OSL, ARN), TK (to IST), ET (to ADD), etc. All these codeshares have been cancelled over the years in the name of competition. But then, why create an alliance if the companies inside the alliance are fighting against each other?

The NZ case seems to be a little different; New Zealand is still part of the Commonwealth and has probably in its DNA to look first at British colleagues when searching connecting flights in London.
Thanks dear ;-) for the complement of information.

Off course, the target of an alliance : working together with more convergence. But politics and history past can playing roles on airlines individual's strategy. Star Alliance has a big potential if he working together : all airlines.

I'm not an "air-expert" but i like to get more information and asking questions.
Fun-detail: To/From AMS NZ offers connections with both BA and KL.

Post Reply