BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Charlie Roy

Re: BRU Summer 2020: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Charlie Roy »

The Delta Boeing 767-300ER's have a lovely emergency exit row in Comfort+ section.
The Delta Airbus A330-200's do not, but have a warm floor at the Economy (Main Cabin) emergency row, which is great since emergency exit rows can get cold.
All that said, the A330-200's are being retrofitted with a new "Premium Select" cabin, which will be interesting to see.
Given this, overall capacity will probably not see any increase.

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Air Transat's A321neo LR to replace A310, and to fly as from 4 May 2020 using only A321, until 1 June 2020 when they will fly using Airbus A330-200. A321neo LR to be used for 3 flights in October. https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air- ... rbus-a310/
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

TLspotting wrote: 13 May 2019, 21:20 Delta Air Lines to operate ATL and JFK flights using Airbus A330-200 instead of Boeing 767-300ER as from 29 March 2020. A few other routes are to be changed by A332 instead of B763ER.
Atlanta – Brussels eff 29MAR20 767-400ER replaces 767-300ER
New York JFK – Brussels eff 29MAR20 767-400ER replaces 767-300ER

Source: airlineroute

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

SabenaForever wrote: 20 May 2019, 11:02 Atlanta – Brussels eff 29MAR20 767-400ER replaces 767-300ER
New York JFK – Brussels eff 29MAR20 767-400ER replaces 767-300ER

Source: airlineroute
The article has been updated.
Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

lucas

Post by lucas »

Will the take acquisition of Air Transat by Air Canada have any influence on the operations at BRU? Maybe we will see AC again on the two Canadian routes? Has anyone an idea of ACs plans with Air Transat?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Hi Lucas,

That will be indeed an interesting case to follow. If they want to maintain BRU still as the fifth biggest Star hub, then AC should fly from both cities to BRU.
If they axe one of the cities, then you know it. But even, the TS was seasonal, AC could use smaller metal on it year round

At this stage it is way to early to say what the plans are of AC with TS

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse »

What two AC-routes are you talking about?

Toronto is served by Brussels Airlines
Montréal is served by Air Canada and Air Transat

At least, this is what I can see in Amadeus GDS :)

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I've read about the planned Air Canada - Air Transat merger too, and immediately thought of BRU as one of the destinations where both operate to from the same airport, so it seems quite logical for them to axe one of those flights and size up the plane used for it.
Wouldn't be surprised to see them turn to one of their bigger 777s in summer months to replace both flights.
No idea if it is 'good news' for BRU, but it would definitely make sense from the airline's perspective...

lucas

Post by lucas »

skumfiduse wrote: 20 May 2019, 15:52 What two AC-routes are you talking about?

Toronto is served by Brussels Airlines
Montréal is served by Air Canada and Air Transat

At least, this is what I can see in Amadeus GDS :)
Indeed, my mistake. I meant of course there are two routes, by two *A airlines.
Inquirer wrote: 20 May 2019, 16:36 I've read about the planned Air Canada - Air Transat merger too, and immediately thought of BRU as one of the destinations where both operate to from the same airport, so it seems quite logical for them to axe one of those flights and size up the plane used for it.
Wouldn't be surprised to see them turn to one of their bigger 777s in summer months to replace both flights.
No idea if it is 'good news' for BRU, but it would definitely make sense from the airline's perspective...
IMHO they won't upgrade to a bigger airplane. I would rather see them adding a three-weekly evening flight. It would not reduce the number of flights between YUL and BRU, and it would be a nice addition to the BRU timetable.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

With less competition on the market, exit Jet Airways, it would be good if AC could consider to open a new Canadian destination ex-BRU. Vancouver was/is already for a long time on the wish list. Even it is very expensive and to get a job there, you really need to have the good "joker card", it is still a destination that a lot of people would like to go, business, leisure and family traffic.

Montreal and Toronto are both served by AC and SN. With Jet Airways no flights from AMS to Canada, it would be an opportunity for Star to offer a bit more choice in Canada. AC could be a feeder for SN/EW to bring them further in Europe and Africa and vs>

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

LOT Polish Airlines is expanding its network of connections from Budapest, Hungary. This week, the airline announced the launch of non-stop long-haul flights between the Hungarian capital and Seoul, South-Korea (from 22 September 2019). On 30 March next year LOT is going to launch six new destinations - Sofia, Prague, Belgrade, Stuttgart, Bucharest and Brussels, thereby operating 12 routes from Budapest.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lot- ... september/

Kzaant

Post by Kzaant »

I got some exciting news about 2020 but i’m not 100% sure since it’s viavia I heard it from someone who knows someone working for BAC. Apparently Brussels Airport is working hard behind the scenes to attract new airlines!
-we can welcome soon Asiana!
-Singapore Airlines interested in starting a route but no concrete plans yet
-two new US routes are in the making but I have no idea which destinations and which airline, maybe lax and boston?
-Some Russian airline is planning to start flights to Moscow
-biggest surprise: oman air interested in launching flights to BRU
-Qatar interested in raising frequency to BRU
-apparently Cathay is not doing too well on the BRU route and since they’re having financial difficulties they might cancel the route I’m thinking now :/
-no news on Brussels Airlines
-BAC is very interested in routes to Latin America, Kenya and South Africa, but no news on this.

Ok this was all I remember, hope enough food for speculation :p

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Interesting!

Welcome to Aviation24.be, Kzaant!
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Very pity about Cathay Pacific....knowing Air Belgium could not start the route because they where already flying it.
At the end Brussels Airport will lose everything it's not so exiting at the end the new routes are more rumoured than real and Cathay is not doing well.
Besides Asiana are even in a worse situation than Cathay so I don't think they will start soon.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

lumumba wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 01:47 Very pity about Cathay Pacific....knowing Air Belgium could not start the route because they where already flying it.
At the end Brussels Airport will lose everything it's not so exiting at the end the new routes are more rumoured than real and Cathay is not doing well.
Besides Asiana are even in a worse situation than Cathay so I don't think they will start soon.
You are starting again Lumumba??? By saying that BAC will lose everything. This is based on nothing even the knowledge who will come or not.

Regarding Cathy, it takes a year and a half to be profitable on a new route. Cathy even upgraded on this route

Regarding Oman Air. This is not a surprise at all as they wanted to start up flights 3 years ago.

All others, including the US routes I mentioned in the previous topics

SN501

Post by SN501 »

Atlantis wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 08:35
lumumba wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 01:47 Very pity about Cathay Pacific....knowing Air Belgium could not start the route because they where already flying it.
You are starting again Lumumba??? By saying that BAC will lose everything. This is based on nothing even the knowledge who will come or not.

Regarding Cathy, it takes a year and a half to be profitable on a new route. Cathy even upgraded on this route

Regarding Oman Air. This is not a surprise at all as they wanted to start up flights 3 years ago.

All others, including the US routes I mentioned in the previous topics
When CX has upgraded the BRU route? As far as I remember it is operated 4 times a week with A350 since its launch.

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

Kzaant wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 22:52 -we can welcome soon Asiana!
I would be very happy if this would really come through.
Soon I go to Seoul via CPH and PEK, not very ideal
And got visitors incoming from Korea on QR via DOH
A direct link, I think, would make sense, especially if there will be cooperation with SN in BRU.

Recently I heard OZ was said to start MXP, I was already upset and wondering 'why not BRU'?
Kzaant wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 22:52 -apparently Cathay is not doing too well on the BRU route and since they’re having financial difficulties they might cancel the route I’m thinking now :/
They fly to BRU with quite big planes, bigger than NH (who fly out if world's biggest metropolis)
NH flies daily, and I often see quite some NH passengers connecting in BRU.
That's something CX can't offer.
Hong Kong is indeed in a bad place at the moment, I wish them all the best, but I'm afraid it'll turn in a Chinese colony.

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

ezis_bis wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 13:27 Hong Kong is indeed in a bad place at the moment, I wish them all the best, but I'm afraid it'll turn in a Chinese colony.
Unfortunately, this is what the treaties say ... Chinese absorption in thirty years, I do not remember the exact date of expiry. This is the meaning of today's events ... which, in my humble opinion, are hardly lost! CX could suffer too. :evil:

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

They fly to BRU with quite big planes, bigger than NH (who fly out if world's biggest metropolis)
NH flies daily, and I often see quite some NH passengers connecting in BRU.
That's something CX can't offer.
I think that the biggest competitor at BRU for CX, are Thai and the MEB3 (Emirates, Qatar Airways & Etihad).
I would be very happy if this would really come through.
Soon I go to Seoul via CPH and PEK, not very ideal
And got visitors incoming from Korea on QR via DOH
A direct link, I think, would make sense, especially if there will be cooperation with SN in BRU.

Recently I heard OZ was said to start MXP, I was already upset and wondering 'why not BRU'?
Asiana Airlines is currently financial crisis and has just started the sale process.

"Industry experts, however, are skeptical about the activist fund’s aggressive attempt to own the country’s second largest full-service carrier, citing the lack of its financial sources and potential partners who will partner with the fund in the buyout race." https://pulsenews.co.kr/view.php?year=2019&no=580407

Oman Air will be pretty interesting. The airline has just started flights to Athens. The airline has a code share to Bru, with Lufthansa via Fra, with Lufthansa. The airline is probably seeing the opportunity to create a big hub in Oman, while MEB3 are struggling. In 2018, Oman Air said the were planning to add Shanghai and Bejiing and new destinations in Africa. They launched flights to Morroco, they will launch flights to South Africa and Rwanda https://muscatdaily.com/Archive/Oman/Mu ... r-CEO-59p3
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873