Social actions at air navigation service provider skeyes (Belgium) - possible air traffic disruptions

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Phoenixx

Re: Social actions at air traffic control service skeyes (Belgium) - possible air traffic disruptions

Post by Phoenixx » 04 May 2019, 23:25

sean1982 wrote:
04 May 2019, 21:38
Phoenixx wrote:
04 May 2019, 20:32

sean1982 wrote:
04 May 2019, 18:44
When a fish says he’s not a fish, does it make him less of a fish?

When you’re in a situation for long enough its quite common to lose touch with reality. Im sure management doesnt need to play the mentioned card because when you honestly present your working conditions to the general public, many of whom also dont have a Good work-life balance and work for a lot less money, They will feel that you’re spoiled anyway. To say it in brexit terms, you can have the cake and eat it at the Same time
Ofcourse management doesn't need to do this, our salary alone is good enough to make half of Belgium regard us as spoiled and to justify any and all situations for them, but they do it anyway to make the doubters choose a side and to make critical thinkers doubt. Look at the posts when I started responding here if you think my statement is wrong. Misinformation is a very powerful tool.

But thank you for the 2 clever quotes( still wondering if they refer to management or to me, they are just too smart), the quick and unmotivated judgement, answering completely besides the point of the post you quoted 1 sentence out of and ignoring nearly everything I have been extensively explaining for the last 10 pages. Gonna go have some cake, fish love cake.
I have read everything and agree with some of it but feel like the ATCO's have lost touch with reality a bit. Compare what you have with what Joe Public has and can you then say hand on heart your working conditions are hard? You could have gone without the sarcastic answer.
And you could have gone without the the implied insult or the wise quotes but here we are.
If i compare what we have now, sure we have a good thing going.
We work way too much and have to accept way too many violations, but yes.
But compare that to where the CEO wants to go, and it's a whole other story.

sean1982

Re: Social actions at air traffic control service skeyes (Belgium) - possible air traffic disruptions

Post by sean1982 » 04 May 2019, 23:41

Phoenixx wrote:
04 May 2019, 23:25

And you could have gone without the the implied insult or the wise quotes but here we are.
Where did you see an insult? implied or otherwise?
He probably wants to go to an environment where there are less violations because you have to be more flexible, like 100.000 companies have done before him in the last couple of years. That's the way forward if you want a company to stay alive.

Phoenixx

Post by Phoenixx » 05 May 2019, 08:01

sean1982 wrote:
04 May 2019, 23:41
Phoenixx wrote:
04 May 2019, 23:25

Where did you see an insult? implied or otherwise?
He probably wants to go to an environment where there are less violations because you have to be more flexible, like 100.000 companies have done before him in the last couple of years. That's the way forward if you want a company to stay alive.
You use smart phrase about fish without realizing the implied message?
He wants to go to an environment with less violations by changing rules and laws to excempt himself from them and to create more exceptions he can use, not by improving working conditions so he can actually follow them. This is not a rough patch before it gets better, this is the stage where he is still technically breaking all rules because he didnt manage to change them yet.
There is a major difference, and this is not the way forward at all, this is next level egoism and advanced lawlessness.

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace » 05 May 2019, 11:04

Phoenixx wrote:
05 May 2019, 08:01
He wants to go to an environment with less violations by changing rules and laws to excempt himself from them and to create more exceptions he can use, not by improving working conditions so he can actually follow them. This is not a rough patch before it gets better, this is the stage where he is still technically breaking all rules because he didnt manage to change them yet.
There is a major difference, and this is not the way forward at all, this is next level egoism and advanced lawlessness.
I didn't read everything, but this remark is a different discussion.

Well, unfortunately this is the way aviation has evolved the last 30 years. Pilots, cabin crew, maintenance, desk people... we have all seen our working conditions deteriorate and it is not stopping. Unfortunately pilots and cabin crew are the ones sitting in the tube. Who is the most responsible for safety? Cabin crew in the end, to get the morning-beer drinking pax out. What are theIR working conditions? Shitty as hell.

The days of state funded national carriers is almost over. We are privatised. There is no reason why ATC should not be privatised as well. You can blame your boss as much as you want, you are in the wrong business. If he doesn't do it, the next one will. Not because he wants, because he has to, because it is his job. He might be able to do it in a more "fashioned" way, but he will do it.

Welcome to aviation. Either you stay and you accept, or you leave. Like many pilots, cabin crew, maintenance people have done. We all work 30' extra before and 30' extra after the flight compared to our rosters, we all have to give the last minute flexibility to the company (I just heard we went down 20% on crew per aircraft last year...), and we all get blamed in the end because we missed a single minute somewhere... :-)

But I still love my job to death, and in some rather strange way, I love my company and want to make it work for the company.

I understand your "fight", and I respect it, I really do. Try as hard as you can. BUT, stop making my life shitty in the process. Because you are... and MY boss is requiring more flexibility from me as well, because of what YOU do. And I'm getting tired of it, my wife is getting tired of it, my kids are getting tired of it, and my boss does a fantastic job understanding this but still requires flexibility to handle what you create.

A good lesson for all those who want to join us.
Last edited by Bracebrace on 05 May 2019, 12:47, edited 3 times in total.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 » 05 May 2019, 11:12

Bracebrace wrote:
05 May 2019, 11:04
Phoenixx wrote:
05 May 2019, 08:01

Well, unfortunately this is the way aviation has evolved the last 30 years. Pilots, cabin crew, maintenance, desk people... we have all seen our working conditions deteriorate and it is not stopping. Unfortunately pilots and cabin crew are the ones sitting in the tube. Who is the most responsible for safety? Cabin crew in the end, to get the morning-beer drinking pax out. What are there working conditions? Shitty as hell.

The days of state funded national carriers is almost over. We are privatised. There is no reason why ATC should not be privatised as well.

You can blame your boss as much as you want, you are in the wrong business. If he doesn't do it, the next one will. Not because he wants, because he has to, because it is his job.

Welcome to aviation. Either you stay and you accept, or you leave. Like many pilots, cabin crew, maintenance people have done. We all work 30' extra before and 30' extra after the flight compared to our rosters, we all have to give the last minute flexibility to the company, and we all get blamed in the end because we missed a single minute somewhere... :-)

But I still love my job to death, and in some rather strange way, I love my company and want to make it work for the company.

Hear hear

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace » 05 May 2019, 11:17

Oops, I just added some stuff... oh well :-)

PS: give me high speed below 10 (instead of 250 from the moment I contact you) and you are forgiven... :-)

Atco EBBR

Post by Atco EBBR » 05 May 2019, 12:10

:D can you give me 310 or greater for the sequence?

737MAX

Post by 737MAX » 05 May 2019, 12:45

Atco EBBR wrote:
05 May 2019, 12:10
:D can you give me 310 or greater for the sequence?
No! Make it 320. And let those slow Ryanair birds behind, please... :lol:

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace » 05 May 2019, 12:50

:mrgreen: If I can self-position as well.... you get a free break... not? :mrgreen:

737MAX

Post by 737MAX » 05 May 2019, 13:32

Bracebrace wrote:

Well, unfortunately this is the way aviation has evolved the last 30 years. Pilots, cabin crew, maintenance, desk people... we have all seen our working conditions deteriorate and it is not stopping. Unfortunately pilots and cabin crew are the ones sitting in the tube. Who is the most responsible for safety? Cabin crew in the end, to get the morning-beer drinking pax out. What are there working conditions? Shitty as hell.

The days of state funded national carriers is almost over. We are privatised. There is no reason why ATC should not be privatised as well. You can blame your boss as much as you want, you are in the wrong business. If he doesn't do it, the next one will. Not because he wants, because he has to, because it is his job. He might be able to do it in a more "fashioned" way, but he will do it.

Welcome to aviation. Either you stay and you accept, or you leave. Like many pilots, cabin crew, maintenance people have done. We all work 30' extra before and 30' extra after the flight compared to our rosters, we all have to give the last minute flexibility to the company (I just heard we went down 20% on crew per aircraft last year...), and we all get blamed in the end because we missed a single minute somewhere... :-)

I understand your "fight", and I respect it, I really do. Try as hard as you can. BUT, stop making my life shitty in the process. Because you are... and MY boss is requiring more flexibility from me as well, because of what YOU do. And I'm getting tired of it, my wife is getting tired of it, my kids are getting tired of it, and my boss does a fantastic job understanding this but still requires flexibility to handle what you create.

I share your vision of things for our job. But that's not the case for everybody in aviation, let's be honest. Pilots for major airlines still have excellent working conditions and guess what, their airlines are still alive and kicking (with some down moments, like it has always been in aviation anyway). They still have excellent working conditions because they fought for that and they are united to do so.

For young(er) airlines, the story is indeed completely different. Poor contracts, no long term vision possible, different group of pilots created by management to avoid unions (or make them powerless because pilots are not united), no base guarantee, a pension at 65 y.o. (or more?) for less than 2000€/month in Belgium, should I continue? Yes, I'll add one last thing; in Belgium the cost of employment is HUGE, and airlines therefore need to make you work more, ask you more flexibility etc etc... in order to make it (or to make good numbers so their shareholders are happy at the end of the year).

Who is right and who is wrong? The guys who fought for their conditions or those who think their great flexibility is mandatory to keep their company alive? Well, guess what Air France, Lufthansa, KLM pilots will tell you from their swimming pool, retired with a good pension at 60 y.o.? And guess what you will think by then? Guess which airlines will still be alive by then? Norwegian or Air France...? And you know what, those KLM pilots who had to retire early work in Belgium, as freelancers with better conditions than yours (and of course taking the seat of belgian pilots)!! Ask yourself if you are really happy with this kind of situation, and if you still think your great flexibility will save your job. It just won't. (Or read extreme flexibility instead, I don't mean that all of us shouldn't accept any roster change or similar things that are part of our job).

These ATCO's are completely right to fight for their working conditions. All of us would do exactly the same in their position. They shouldn't care about what "Joe Public" thinks of them. If it's that easy and greatly paid with excellent advantages, everyone is free to apply and do the same job as well. It's so exhausting to read daily jealous comments on jobs that are well paid, really. It's all about money, all the time. Well paid = work and shut up for "Joe Public"... "Joe Public" doesn't care at all if employees have extremely bad working conditions at some airlines as long as their ticket remains cheap. Is that acceptable? I don't think it is, honestly.

ATCO's have our safety in their hands, such as pilots and cabin crew, and everybody working around aircrafts. What do you guys think when you see people who don't speak a word of French, Dutch or English cleaning aircrafts at the end of the day in CRL for probably extremely bad conditions? Here again, "Joe Public" doesn't care because it makes their fare cheaper, but as soon as they'll be affected, they will care. How strange huh? Who had thought Sabena pilots would end up working for low-cost airlines with "self-employed" kind of contracts? Some would blame them for striking before bankruptcy (read that comment not that long ago here), but one must be seriously blind to think they are responsible for the end of Sabena...

Many people here complain about the fact that there is no belgian aviation anymore. You bet, but it's too late.
Oh wait, there is still TNT/ASL Belgium, but their jobs are slowly but surely being stolen by FedEx metal and our politicians prefer to close their eyes on illegal practices because it keeps some jobs on the ground.

We had Eurotrans/BCS (DHL) based in Brussels. Our politicians made them escape to Leipzig. All gone. Finito. Now they have plenty of flights out of BRU, even in daytime, but guess what. DHL doesn't want to open a new base in BRU for its pilots, even if the need is there. Why would they bother doing that if Germany can offer better conditions for the employER......?

Thomas Cook = gone
Sobelair = gone
Citybird = gone
VLM = gone
Virgin Express = gone
Brussels Airlines = hmm, what to say...

TUI BE remains successful, although not belgian, it's still managed by belgians who made/make it work. But now our politicians think they can save the planet by taxing kerosene (even if ONLY Belgium does it, all by itself). Guess what will happen next? Belgium is in the middle of everything and could have taken a good advantage of that, but instead, everything in aviation is escaping from here...

Who is to be blamed for that? People fighting for their working conditions, or people who "manage" the country?
Seriously guys, think twice before saying ATCO's should go back to the flexibility they have shown in the past few years. Flexibility works for sure, but it has limits and these limits should be written black on white if rules are obviously not respected.

Last but not least, don't forget skeyes doesn't offer the best working conditions in the sector... here again, look further than Belgium.

Edit: just wanted to add something to end this reply with a more optimistic view; I still like the job and I'm happy to do it, but I don't think we can be happy of what aviation became in Europe and I also don't think we should let things get even worse in the near future.

Phoenixx

Post by Phoenixx » 05 May 2019, 14:23

Bracebrace wrote:

Well, unfortunately this is the way aviation has evolved the last 30 years. Pilots, cabin crew, maintenance, desk people... we have all seen our working conditions deteriorate and it is not stopping. Unfortunately pilots and cabin crew are the ones sitting in the tube. Who is the most responsible for safety? Cabin crew in the end, to get the morning-beer drinking pax out. What are theIR working conditions? Shitty as hell.

Sounds like you're reverting to immature logic there, 'we can't have it so you can't either'. So you're blaming us for not rolling over and playing dead when the boss says we should because the others do it?
To answer in that same logic, if everyone jumps off a bridge, would you do it too?

My boss doesn't have to break rules and laws, he chooses to, Thereby losing the trust and respect from his employees he very much needs to fix or get over this situation.
My boss didn't have to let staffing get to this point, but he did it anyway to outperform the cost cuts Europe set forward. He forgot to think about the future, as long as his numbers were good, all was good.
My boss wouldn't have to spend millions extra now (which is what he is doing) to keep everything sort of going if he had done his actual job.
My boss is kicking a sick dog in the hope it gets healthy again, guess what, that doesn't work.
To clarify: the dog being the company, not us.

We ARE sacrificing our off time and our rights, we ARE working 25 percent shortstaffed and have been for a while and only now (that there are monster fines at risk), they decided to reduce the staffing demand, and we ARE being blamed for it all (just look at your post, you are blaming me and my colleagues for what we 'do'? not even sure what exactly you're referring to here.)

I love my job too, I love my colleagues and our spirit and I love our pilots (most of them at least).
I don't have a problem with the company.
I have a problem with the incompetence of the management and the attitude and operating methods of the CEO.

As long as you (and everybody else) keep seeing this as a problem WE are creating, my CEO will continue down the same path. Provoking, pushing everything and everyone over the limits, blaming us and lying about everything, not giving up a single inch, ...

My wife and kid are sick and tired of it too, believe me.
How many years can I ask for patience and flexibility before it has been too much?
This worries me deeply, especially because we as atcos hàve reached this point in the CEO's continuous requests for patience, understanding and flexibility.
I hope my family likes me a bit more than I like our CEO...
In their '32 hour week' (a hilarious statement), we are effectively looking at 48 hours of paid time on 6 days (+3 hours total at work unpaid), putting me at work 51 hours per week, spread over 6 days, for the next 5 years at least. They don't even bother calling it flexibility anymore, they will just enforce it and call it an exceptional yet necessary situation.
Do you think the '25.000 euro extra per controller' (a ridiculous exaggeration for that matter, but sure what did we expect) will keep my family life together here when I have to explain them next week that I'll be home hopefully one full day per week for another 5 years? (if I have a nightshift in that week ofcourse, otherwise fingers crossed)
Please direct your anger and frustrations at the ones responsible (or at least ALL the ones responsible, not saying we are free of sin) instead of just the easy target.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers » 05 May 2019, 15:07

Welcome to aviation. Either you stay and you accept, or you leave. Like many pilots, cabin crew, maintenance people have done. We all work 30' extra before and 30' extra after the flight compared to our rosters, we all have to give the last minute flexibility to the company
To the last point I am afraid I must add that I see the same kind of thing happening in many professions, my own IT trade not least. On the one hand a race to the bottom on rates and conditions, on the other hand a lack of professional ability in management. There might a point to the opinion that ATCO's will have to learn to live with it, just like everybody else.

But as I understand things from a distance, that is not the point right now. At present, there is gross discontent among ATC staff because they have shown great patience and lots of good will, only to see the problems they thus "solved" grow worse and worse; i.e. no structural solutions arriving. That is all the difference between a solution and a work-around.

mvg

Post by mvg » 05 May 2019, 15:18

Reality is somewhere in between what has just been posted.

- Management is doing and has been doing a shitty job: no doubt! It's the main issue, we all agree. But there is now a situation to deal with and until now, no acceptable solution has been put on the table.

- Atcos in Belgium have the best working conditions in Europe (and even further than that) WHEN they are not short of staff (IF the rules are followed): best roster flexibility, little time on position per shift, low traffic load, and so on. Not even talking about the salary which is very comparable to other countries (if not more) IF you take everything into account. There is not only the money: dispo age, unlimited sick leave, pension age, working hours and so on also matter. Not complaining or bashing, but it's reality.

- It's indeed ok to do everything to protect your job and the advantages that you have but you have to realize as well that things have been changing around you in the aviation world while nothing has changed in Belgian ATC. Pilots and airlines are complaining about costs (from ATC) and delays (from ATC). What is the only way to lower the costs and decrease the delays? Rationalisation and flexibility. Of course there are limits and safety has to be guaranteed. But if most of the airlines have been able to do it, why not ATC?
A bit of automation would help as well. Why are planes still flying procedures that date back from 50 years ago?
All these Belgian airlines that disappeared were unfortunately not viable. Should they have kept on flying and lose money?
ATC's problem is not money: they are paid enough (the company). But huge improvements are possible (even only at Belgium's level).
In other European countries, radical solutions have been implemented: ATC has been sold to private companies and Atco's earning less (sometimes much less) and working more are running the business... There are many controllers in Eastern Europe that would come to work for way worse conditions. Some airlines have made that mistake: don't you fear that the same could happen with ATC if no quick solution is found? Isn't it going a bit too far?

There is a huge staffing problem and it seems that whatever is proposed (even here), it's not acceptable. I can understand the reasons but at some point someone is gonna have to accept to change.
Putting restrictions on the traffic and working with less staff is for sure part of the solution and management will have to accept it but that's not all! One day, competitors will show up and say that they can do the same job, guarantee a continuous service, with decent salaries (hopefully not the extreme low ones as some other countries have done) and it's all gonna be over!

It is high time to start from the beginning, compare with what is done elsewhere (all aspects of it) and find a path that will bring the costs at the same level as others. It will mean a different life than what has been happening till now. But it has been like that in any sector over the last 20 years. You can't stop it...

SR20

Post by SR20 » 05 May 2019, 20:44

Not directly linked, but still relevant !
Capture+_2019-05-05-20-39-32.png
Capture+_2019-05-05-20-40-54.png
Capture+_2019-05-05-20-41-09.png

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace » 06 May 2019, 23:05

Phoenixx wrote:
05 May 2019, 14:23
Sounds like you're reverting to immature logic there, 'we can't have it so you can't either'. So you're blaming us for not rolling over and playing dead when the boss says we should because the others do it?
To answer in that same logic, if everyone jumps off a bridge, would you do it too?
No not really, I never jumped of a bridge. I got faced with salary cuts because of fleet changes, temporary salary protections (to cover short term changes) but was given the opportunity to grow inside the company so I never "lost". I have a good package, not an AF/KLM package but a good one.

A couple of years ago I was flying with a retired KLM guy who complained his initial signed contract with my company was a gross salary of 4 digits, he was used to 5. He wasn't happy. It is this "ivory tower standard" that needs to get a good reality check. There is a difference between bending over and being realist. On BOTH management and lower levels, so I don't want to take position here to be clear. My knowledge of the case is too limited.

Phoenixx

Post by Phoenixx » 09 May 2019, 19:12

An open letter was sent from the atcos to the press today.
Google translate produced this English version:

Dear reader,

Dear traveler,

In recent days, various media have reported on the jamming of social consultations with skeyes, ex-Belgocontrol. The management, however, wants to find a solution very quickly and is now putting an ultimate proposal on the table that will be discussed and voted on in the joint committee on Friday. The current form of the proposal leaves too much room for interpretation and contains uncertainties that need to be discussed.

We especially regret the fact that no solutions are offered to the current problems, in particular the staff shortage of 25%! Now say for yourself, introducing a reduction in working hours to solve a shortage of personnel seems dubious to say the least.

You are bombarded with press releases and tweets about the financial picture that we as air traffic controllers would be offered, but this deliberately removes the focus from what should be the absolute priority, namely ensuring the safety of our air traffic.

No financial requirements were set: we ask for an acceptable work-life balance! There is a need for peace that is welcome after many years of understaffing, with gaps being voluntarily closed and a lot of overtime beating. However, the limits have been reached and the high understaffing can no longer be compensated. Structural continuous series of up to 12 performances, followed by 1 or 2 rest days, are no longer acceptable. To function optimally, sufficient rest is an absolute must! Maintaining the current work schedules is detrimental to safety, ours and yours!

Our foreign colleagues are also confronted with shortages, but they are accommodating: there, the capacity of the traffic is adjusted to the available staff. Skeyes sees it differently and goes for 100% capacity with 75% staff. They even refuse to admit that there is a shortage ...

There is a regime of confrontation instead of dialogue. Repeatedly referring to sick leave as hidden actions (despite the findings of the own control doctors) belong to the "fake news" category. Similarly, unilaterally changing schedules to claim colleagues in their free time does not in any way promote the goodwill of staff.

Moreover, it is not only the air traffic controllers who criticize the current policy, but the non-air traffic controllers are also moved. Technical and administrative staff are understaffed and are pushed aside by the many consultants who come to do their work, without any knowledge.

An official mediation to find short-term solutions was our last hope. Unfortunately, the CEO of skeyes single-handedly pulled the plug to put this ultimate proposal on the table, without solutions!

We would like to emphasize once again that the safety of air traffic and passengers is our absolute top priority and will not allow it to be deviated from. However, we hope that reasonableness and dialogue prevail, and the future of the company is not determined by an ultimatum.

Thank you for understanding,

The traffic controllers

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak » 09 May 2019, 19:56

Ongoing social conflict within Skeyes, the company in charge of air traffic control in Belgium, has affected some 188,500 passengers at Brussels Airport since February, Arnaud Feist, the airport's CEO, said on Thursday.

http://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/15 ... um-flights

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers » 09 May 2019, 20:04

Ongoing lack of management ability at skeyes has affected .... &c &c

Passenger

Post by Passenger » 09 May 2019, 20:31

jan_olieslagers wrote:
09 May 2019, 20:04
Ongoing lack of management ability at skeyes has affected .... &c &c
Nonsense (or nonsens, whatever - trust you will correct it, as you allways do).
An official mediation to find short-term solutions was our last hope. Unfortunately, the CEO of skeyes single-handedly pulled the plug to put this ultimate proposal on the table, without solutions!
The mediators agreed with the trade unions not to continue with their sickess notes during the negociations. The union(s) didn't respect that, hence it was obvious for management that further negociations were just a loss of time. For atco's, "negociations" means "you have to give us everything we demand".