Social actions at air navigation service provider skeyes (Belgium) - possible air traffic disruptions

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

mvg

Re: Social actions at air traffic control service skeyes (Belgium) - possible air traffic disruptions

Post by mvg »

737MAX wrote: 28 Mar 2019, 12:00
mvg wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 16:15
jan_olieslagers wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 15:49 It is not really about such technical details. It looks more like what the English call a "willy-waving contest".
It shows, with one example, the "(high) level" of the discussions and what some people are complaining about: 12 hours of work worth one week by going to work 3 times (with 6000€+/monthly salary*) is unbearable while some people work 12 hours...in one day for peanuts.

* salary is not important... It's only a public service which we all pay for... but only get from time to time...
Could an ATCO share a typical roster with us?
And the published one by the management please. Not the one tweaked after controllers have made their changes according to their wishes.
I'd also be glad to know how many shifts per year have been worked per Atco, not to be biased if a particular month was busy...
And if you have the courage, please also publish your requested roster compared to the one you received from management. Would it be right to say that more than 80% of the requests are fulfilled?

Is it also right to say that a night, which is worth two days of work (management doesn't want to change that), means less than 4 hours behind the radar, the rest being sleep time?

Why have controllers always refused to use a prikklok/pointeuse? Everyone else in the company uses them. Is there anything to hide?

And about the recruitment and the staff shortage: why not accepting the proposal from the management? They are trying to have people ready as fast as possible by sending ab-initios straight to Canac, as many other countries do. Staying so much attached to your seniority creates a mess. Is it so hard to understand that to let "Tower Atcos" go to a radar course, they need to train ab-initios to the tower first and then send the "tower Atcos" to the course, which means double time (at least) and a huge waste of money... You can always keep your seniority at the company level and later when you become radar controller go above them in the list. Because yes, in that company, being high in the list means SO much! You can choose which part of the night you work and leave the crap to those who are under you ;)

Our country really deserves to be penalized by those high level discussion ;)

ezis_bis

Re: Social actions at air traffic control service skeyes (Belgium) - possible air traffic disruptions

Post by ezis_bis »

Are there any new discussions planned?
What's the way forward at the moment?

I somehow have the feeling neither side really cares about the current situation.
One side calls in sick, the other side shrugs its shoulders saying they'll hire.

Fine.

In the mean time, nothing moves because Skeyes (nor mgmt nor employees) are the ones feeling the pain. That's left for others.

If this keeps going for long, I fear LH is not the biggest threat to the survival of SN, nor are NIMBY's or a kerosine tax the biggest threat to BRU.
It's exasperating how this keeps going on ad infinitam.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

ezis_bis wrote: 28 Mar 2019, 13:03 Are there any new discussions planned?
This morning, management has asked the Ministry of Labour to name a social conciliator (or mediator, or whatever you name this person). But at the same time, it asks for the cessation of all actions.
André
ex Sabena #26567

SR20

Post by SR20 »

sn26567 wrote: 28 Mar 2019, 13:53
This morning, management has asked the Ministry of Labour to name a social conciliator (or mediator, or whatever you name this person). But at the same time, it asks for the cessation of all actions.
ACV asked for a conciliator, skeyes managment was very reluctant if we believe ACV's words !
Anyway, I vote for mvg as conciliator 😂😂😂
Capture+_2019-03-28-15-24-30.png

mvg

Post by mvg »

SR20 wrote: 28 Mar 2019, 15:19
ACV asked for a conciliator, skeyes managment was very reluctant if we believe ACV's words !
🤣😂

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

SR20 wrote: 28 Mar 2019, 15:19
sn26567 wrote: 28 Mar 2019, 13:53
Capture+_2019-03-28-15-24-30.png
And so do I: mvg as conciliator 😂😂😂

SR20

Post by SR20 »

After strikes, Liege airport calls for regional and/or privatized air traffic control.

http://www.brusselstimes.com/brussels/1 ... ic-control

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

SR20 wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 15:15 After strikes, Liege airport calls for regional and/or privatized air traffic control.

http://www.brusselstimes.com/brussels/1 ... ic-control
Already in Aviation24.be 3 days ago:

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/lieg ... ny-skeyes/
André
ex Sabena #26567

SR20

Post by SR20 »

Actions suspended during conciliation, but this is not solving staff shortage and preventing from airspace closure !
Capture+_2019-03-31-18-03-58.png
https://m.hln.be/nieuws/binnenland/luch ... ~aa8ad5a4/

https://www.lesoir.be/215591/article/20 ... rs-actions

SR20

Post by SR20 »

sean1982 wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 19:40 “Staffing issues” :roll:
Do you have any doubts about it ?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

SR20 wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 20:01
sean1982 wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 19:40 “Staffing issues” :roll:
Do you have any doubts about it ?
As in Thats Its not coordinated? Yes

SR20

Post by SR20 »

It was stated that actions would be stopped during the conciliation process. I just can't help but ask myself who has interest in ruining that conciliation : unions who have been requesting the help of a conciliator for days or managment who was imposed one ?
Anyway, I think we're witnessing a communication battle here 😕
Is that difficult to believe an atco got sick this afternoon ? My son has fever since this afternoon 😉

https://m.hln.be/nieuws/binnenland/luch ... ~a395f99d/
Last edited by SR20 on 01 Apr 2019, 00:01, edited 2 times in total.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

If you ask me, the roster is utterly badly managed. One sick person should never result in the closure of the entire Belgian airspace for three hours.

And again, the main victim is again Liege airport, the only one with a lot of activity during the night. I understand that Luc Partoune is furious and asks for strong measures.

It makes me wonder if some people have no hidden intentions...
André
ex Sabena #26567

mvg

Post by mvg »

The roster on Saturday evening is planned "short" as there is no traffic for such a night but there has to be more than one person sick to have such consequences.
Moreover there are at least 10 atcos who are not working the weekend and can be recalled so that means that all of them said "no, I can't come to work". Or have they been called at all?
A Saturday night is the most rewarding night: it is paid 14 hours, the biggest weekend hours bonus, two days to be added and compensated later, and a recall bonus. In normal circumstances, people would litterally fight for such a night.
Additionally, in exceptional circumstances, any shift can be extended up to 11 hours (instead of the 7 planned - similar system as for the pilots). If they would really want, they could just keep two afternoons till 02.00am to give the night shift people some extra breaks and then avoid the closure...
Some customers are apparently not worth it...

mvg

Post by mvg »

Take a look at the salary of a brave person who has worked 10+ years radar.

In order to guarantee confidentiality, the monthly salaries have been rounded up to the nearest ten and the months are not in the order of the calendar. All amounts are after tax / net

Month 1: 5410€
Month 2: 5830€
Month 3: 6960€
Month 4: 6570€
Month 5: 7010€
Month 6: 5320€
Month 7: 6530€
Month 8: 7070€
Month 9: 4920€
Month 10: 6110€
Month 11: 5650€
Month 12: 7390€
Yearly bonuses (holidays - end of the year): 6400€
Total: 81170€

6764€/month in average

225 days during the year, an average of 18,75 shifts per months

SR20

Post by SR20 »

mvg wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 22:02 The roster on Saturday evening is planned "short" as there is no traffic for such a night but there has to be more than one person sick to have such consequences.
Moreover there are at least 10 atcos who are not working the weekend and can be recalled so that means that all of them said "no, I can't come to work". Or have they been called at all?
A Saturday night is the most rewarding night: it is paid 14 hours, the biggest weekend hours bonus, two days to be added and compensated later, and a recall bonus. In normal circumstances, people would litterally fight for such a night.
Additionally, in exceptional circumstances, any shift can be extended up to 11 hours (instead of the 7 planned - similar system as for the pilots). If they would really want, they could just keep two afternoons till 02.00am to give the night shift people some extra breaks and then avoid the closure...
Nice information, but we're talking about a night from sunday to monday here !

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

sn26567 wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 21:09 If you ask me, the roster is utterly badly managed. One sick person should never result in the closure of the entire Belgian airspace for three hours.

And again, the main victim is again Liege airport, the only one with a lot of activity during the night. I understand that Luc Partoune is furious and asks for strong measures.

It makes me wonder if some people have no hidden intentions...
And in the same airport, so many promisses for new business without anything concrete yet.
Its time to look good and we look like the worse.
Again, where are the ministers in charge ?
Fix this shit once and for all !
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

mvg wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 22:16 Take a look at the salary of a brave person who has worked 10+ years radar.
All amounts are after tax / net
It would be much better to post gross salaries.
Taxes vary a lot from one person to another. (Kids, partner, are they working,...)

mvg

Post by mvg »

SR20 wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 22:50
mvg wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 22:02 The roster on Saturday evening is planned "short" as there is no traffic for such a night but there has to be more than one person sick to have such consequences.
Nice information, but we're talking about a night from sunday to monday here !
The same applies for Sunday nights: there are even more afternoons in Sunday’s and more nights than on Saturdays.
That means that more people called sick for the night shift.
The big difference is that Sunday nights are much less interesting then Saturday nights: less bonus and less compensation. That might be part of the explanation why nobody came back to work... If they tried to call at all...