KLM to end flights between Amsterdam and Brussels?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

nordikcam

KLM to end flights between Amsterdam and Brussels?

Post by nordikcam »

https://www.lalibre.be/economie/conjonc ... 78f0f6e5c5

The Second Chamber of the Dutch Parliament wants to end the air links between Amsterdam and Brussels.
The train ride between the two capitals is indeed just as fast and less harmful to the environment.

Passenger

Re: KL out of BRU ?

Post by Passenger »

nordikcam wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 20:09 https://www.lalibre.be/economie/conjonc ... 78f0f6e5c5
The Second Chamber of the Dutch Parliament wants to end the air links between Amsterdam and Brussels.
The train ride between the two capitals is indeed just as fast and less harmful to the environment.
Indeed: the Dutch Parliament (Tweede Kamer) has accepted a motion from Groen-Links (the Green-Left party), asking for a fase-out from AMS-BRU-AMS. Reasons given: AMS needs more slots for more valuable routes, and the train connection is faster and better for the environment.

De Kamer,

gehoord de beraadslaging,

Constaterende dat de beschikbare slots op Schiphol schaars zijn en dat het een nationaal belang is dat deze verstandig en zoveel mogelijk voor onmisbare routes worden ingezet;

Constaterende dat er nog meermaals dagelijks commercieel wordt gevlogen tussen Amsterdam en Brussel;

Overwegende dat de trein op dit traject effectief vrijwel altijd sneller is en altijd beter voor het milieu;

Verzoekt de regering om met alle hiervoor relevante partijen in overleg te treden met als inzet met hen afspraken te maken over het uitfaseren van de lijnvluchten tussen Amsterdam en Brussel.

https://www.tweedekamer.nl/kamerstukken ... 2019D08650

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

KLM wants to continue flying the route, considering that trains are not sufficiently reliable. And indeed, when somebody misses his flight because a delayed train, will NS or Thalys pay for the rerouting? KLM will not be responsible (unless they codeshare on the rail link and have an agreement with the operator).
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

When KLM says that AMS-BRU-AMS is profitable for them: who are we to doubt that? Though I think that the route is mostly used as feeder for their long hauls.

Anyway... On the day that Groen-Links (the Green-Left Party) stated that AMS-BRU-AMS is not environment-friendly, some 4.000 Dutch citizens flew from AMS to Madrid to watch a soccer game that is also live on tv. And even worse: apart from those 20 or so 737's and 320's, some preferred a one-day citytrip to MAD on a more cosy way: C56X (LX-VMF), F900 (PH-LAU), C650 (PH-MYX), F900 (PH-NDK), F900 (N707FJ), CRJ2 (9H-JOY).

Euh... Groen-Links, any comment?

(List private charters: courtesy Dutch Scramble Forum)

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Anyway we have to start thinking another way and travel less by air and more by train (or other transports)if it consumes a lot less carbon.
Looks logic today and if it's not reliable we have to make it reliable.
I really hope they gone implementing this air travel tax it's important today to develop alternatives....
It's not that these people will not go to Amsterdam anymore to catch there plane but to make them travel differently,sure it's not possible to bring the supporters of a football match to Madrid by train!( or not yet)
Hasta la victoria siempre.

convair

Post by convair »

sn26567 wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 20:35 KLM wants to continue flying the route, considering that trains are not sufficiently reliable. And indeed, when somebody misses his flight because a delayed train, will NS or Thalys pay for the rerouting? KLM will not be responsible (unless they codeshare on the rail link and have an agreement with the operator).
Kl could do like its sister AF on the Brussels South-CDG Thalys. You've certainly used the AF check-in counter at Midi-Zuid. For a while, AF did even take care of your luggage from there up to your final destination; I don't know if they still do that (I have succeeded to avoid that awful CDG rail station for several years now) but it would be a good idea as traveling with 2 big suitcases by train is not a very enjoyable experience. It could be from BRU to AMS or from another Brussels rail station, like North (or even Schaerbeek if parking a car is easier there).

BrightCedars

Re: KLM to end flights between Amsterdam and Brussels ?

Post by BrightCedars »

I tend to agree with the conclusion that the plane is an overkill on this route and that a fast reliable rail link shall replace it given that:
  • There is a frequent connection from AMS to Brussels Midi or Central or North
  • There is a frequent connection from BRU to Amsterdam CS and Paris North
  • There is a frequent connection from CDG to Brussels Midi or Central or North
  • Same applies to SN's CDG service that mostly caters for African connections
  • No operator is allowed to enter the routes
  • No exclusive agreements between HST and a single airline/group
It needs to be a level playing field for all incumbent and prospective players!

Stij

Re: KLM to end flights between Amsterdam and Brussels?

Post by Stij »

The train is fine if they het theorie act together and currently they don’t:

Luggage should be handed over in the railway station not be seen again until at destination. On they back, clear customs in CDG or AMS and drop it again to get back in the railway station.

Same connections guaranteed as for normal connections.

Correct waiting areas.

Otherwise it will never work.

Dreaming mode on.

Why don t our governments then build special platforms behind security at BRU, CDG, AMS and FRA?

Then nobody would mind taking the train...

Stij

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Because it is not for the government to build train stations, let alone platforms in train stations? It's been some time since the 19th century, after all.

Connection guaranties could be negotiated between operators of rail and air traffic, but I smell a certain degree of "reluctance of the unknown" on both sides.

Securing luggage is more difficult, it would require sealed luggage rooms in trains but there's none today and they'll not be created in 1-2-3, AFAICS.

Also, the railway station below Zaventem terminal has three platforms today and they are in full use for "non-secured" trains, and it won't be easy to add more platforms. And nobody wants more Diabolo surcharges!

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

But in this case we don't need a rail station in Brussels Airport you just need to make it easy for passengers in train stations in Brussels or Antwerp and make the train drive with a very good regularity.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

lumumba wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 21:25 But in this case we don't need a rail station in Brussels Airport you just need to make it easy for passengers in train stations in Brussels or Antwerp and make the train drive with a very good regularity.
I disagree. Belgian passengers are sometimes travelling from foreign airports (AMS, CDG, DUS) and they want seamless connections from train to plane at those airports, but there are also foreign passengers coming to Brussels Airport and they want the same seamless connections at BRU.
André
ex Sabena #26567

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

The real issue here has nothing to do with environmental concerns.

AMS is almost at full capacity and had to refuse slots to some cargo companies already.

Remember the Russian Cargo airline losing its slots, one or two years ago.
Poetin was about to close Russian airspace for all KLM flight ( quite a lot : Tokyo, Osaka, Chinese destinations and Russian destinations).

Very quickly the Dutch gave in.

Same now with US cargo airlines that are sent away; Trumpie now threatens to take awy some rights from KLM to fly US destinations.

They are desperately looking to free slots. BRU is an obvious choice, like is DUS, Cologne,...

The slots will immediatly be filled in with Cargo and long haul flights. How about the environment ???????

Now, we all know that Railways are Nationalistic institutions.
To take a train from anywhere in Holland to AMS is quite comfortable (frequency, comfort, ...=OK)
But as soon as borders are to be crossed, it becomes "highly" risky. UNRELIABLE.

KLM wants to stay a Reliable Airline.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

JOVAN wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 22:27 AMS is almost at full capacity and had to refuse slots to some cargo companies already.
As Michael O'Leary said at today's A4E Aviation Summit in Brussels (without KLM CEO Pieter Elbers reacting), this is an artificial limitation made to protect KLM, which has all the slots it wants. No competition can come in, and only foreign airlines are sometimes restricted (until their government retaliates, as you explained very well).

If ever KLM loses its slots for Brussels flights, you can be sure that these slots will be reallocated to KLM for other destinations.)
André
ex Sabena #26567

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

sn26567 wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 21:34
lumumba wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 21:25 But in this case we don't need a rail station in Brussels Airport you just need to make it easy for passengers in train stations in Brussels or Antwerp and make the train drive with a very good regularity.
I disagree. Belgian passengers are sometimes travelling from foreign airports (AMS, CDG, DUS) and they want seamless connections from train to plane at those airports, but there are also foreign passengers coming to Brussels Airport and they want the same seamless connections at BRU.
I understand but how much passengers are using KLM coming from another destination to AMS the biggest part of this flight are departing from BRU and are transiting true AMS.
So they can depart from the train station in Brussels or Antwerp no need to come to the airport. So in this particular situation no need of a train station in the airport.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sn26567 wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 22:50
JOVAN wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 22:27 AMS is almost at full capacity and had to refuse slots to some cargo companies already.
As Michael O'Leary said at today's A4E Aviation Summit in Brussels (without KLM CEO Pieter Elbers reacting), this is an artificial limitation made to protect KLM, which has all the slots it wants. No competition can come in, and only foreign airlines are sometimes restricted (until their government retaliates, as you explained very well).
Normal reaction from someone who is unable to get himself a market share at that airport.

But untrue: the limitation is not to protect KLM: it's an agreement between the airport, the slot coordinator, the airlines, the regional authorities and regional committees: "500,000 is the limit".

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

I'm using the route at least 10 times a year, if that would turn to be true, I would then fly Hainan from BRU instead of KLM...

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Desert Rat wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 09:38 I'm using the route at least 10 times a year, if that would turn to be true, I would then fly Hainan from BRU instead of KLM...
I'm using the route at least 15 times a year, if that would turn to be true, I will fly only AF via CDG

telspace2005

Post by telspace2005 »

The Second Chamber of the Dutch Parliament has nothing else to do ?
Probably a bunch of...

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

As a loyal Skyteam flyer, this will sometimes cause me to fly longer distances (if it happens).
For example, instead of flying BOS-AMS-BRU, I would now fly BOS-JFK-BRU :geek:
Similarly, I would likely replace LAX-AMS-BRU by LAX-FCO-BRU :roll: