Flybmi ceases operations - Loganair takes over in part

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Flybmi ceases operations

Post by sn26567 »

luchtzak wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 19:49 Ashley Quint via twitter

Newcastle to Brussels and Stavanger are to be taken over by @FlyLoganair from March 25
Is Loganair also taking over bmi's aircraft?
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Cupofcoffee wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 12:12 Depends, if i have to pay the rating, i dont think so. Well it is still all overwhelming and i have to get over it. Step by step, i am not sure if there is still an outlook for me in aviation anymore. Not because of my qualifications but just because rotten mentality in aviation.
Eastern Airways is also recruiting bmi pilots. That looks more like your kind of job, doesn't it?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Cupofcoffee

Post by Cupofcoffee »

Yes if you live in the UK it might be an option. But i am not. Loganair is also offering jobs. But this is all preplanned ofcourse. My thoughts are going also to these young cadets. I met them 3 weeks ago doing their base training. They had to pay 30k for the rating plus 1 year of flying. And 3 weeks later.....all gone. Not even had time to build experience.

Not sure if i go back to aviation. Lots of thinking to do.

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

convair wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 23:16 Very sad for all people concerned.
But not too surprising if you look at the figures they gave in the press release: 522.000 pax on 29.000 flights means an average of exactly 18 pax per flight!
Even if some of the non-profitable flights were paid for by their contractors (SN, LH, AF, Turkish,...) it must have been very hard to offset all of them.
And this is the sad truth: you cannot run a succesful airline with a load factor almost constantly well below 60%. Figures show that the airline made $ 20.00 LOSS with every pax ever having travelled with them. Of course the owner of both bmi and Loganair tried to save what could be saved before losing everything in the bankruptcy... but somehow I doubt that it was solely the fault of Loganair.
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

British Midland Regional Limited (FlyBMI) which offered services from various UK airports has suspended all operations with immediate effect.

Advice to UK consumers seeking information about refunds, travel insurance claims or ATOL protection: https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolv ... -airlines/

We are aware of the following airlines offering FlyBMI passengers rescue fares:

easyJet

Routes available: Bristol to Paris CDG and Paris CDG to Bristol

More details: https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/prepari ... nformation

Ryanair

Routes available: Belfast to London Stansted and London Stansted to Belfast, Milan Bergamo to Nuremberg and Nuremburg to Milan Bergamo

More details: https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/

British Airways

Routes available: London to Aberdeen and Aberdeen to London, London to Brussels and Brussels to London, London to Paris and Paris to London, London to Dusseldorf and Dusseldorf to London, London to Billund and Billund to London, London to Frankfurt and Frankfurt to London, London to Belfast and Belfast to London, London to Munich and Munich to London, London to Newcastle and Newcastle to London, London to Oslo and Oslo to London

More details: Booked via BA Call centres (between 17th February and 3rd March 2019) https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/in ... contact-us

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Loganair took delivery of one ERJ-145, serial 145245, transferred from bankrupt sister company flybmi.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The former bmi (and Cityjet) flights from Brussels to Hannover are not taken over. They are suspended for the whole summer season (and maybe even longer). All profit for Lufthansa: the SN pax are routed through FRA and MUC.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Loganair is discussing a takeover of the Embraer ERJ-135 and ERJ-145 aircraft.

Summary of the routes that Loganair also takes over:
  • Aberdeen-Esbjerg
  • Aberdeen-Bristol
  • Aberdeen-Oslo
(All above Aberdeen flights previously operated by FlyBmi resume 4th March 2019)
  • Newcastle-Stavanger
  • Newcastle-Brussels
(All above Newcastle flights previously operated by FlyBmi resume 25th March 2019)
  • Derry-Stansted
(The above Public Service Obligation route resumed on the 27th February)
  • Bristol-Chester
  • Bristol-Toulouse
(Loganair has also taken over the above Airbus employee flights previously operated by FlyBmi, these resumed on the 25th February)

In addition, Loganair will launch the following routes:
  • Derry-Manchester (begins 24th May)
  • Aberdeen-London Southend (begins 28th May)
  • Glasgow-London Southend (begins 28th May)
  • Edinburgh to Guernsey (begins 11th May)
  • Bournemouth to Jersey & Guernsey (begins 11th May)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sn26567 wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 15:11 The former bmi (and Cityjet) flights from Brussels to Hannover are not taken over. They are suspended for the whole summer season (and maybe even longer). All profit for Lufthansa: the SN pax are routed through FRA and MUC.
There isn't going to be much profit for Lufthansa, when they have to give somewone two flights when he/she has paid for just one (or four flights/two flights in case of a return ticket). Specially not when you have to rebook them on your most lucrative route BRU-FRA.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Loganair expects to be operating 15 ERJs by summer 2019, transferred from bankrupt sister carrier flybmi, as Loganair steps up international operations. The Scottish carrier will phase out its five Saab 2000s from April 2019 to spring 2020, eventually replacing them with ATR42-500 or -600 from late 2019. Also, two Do328s are to be sold soon.
André
ex Sabena #26567