Brussels Airlines in 2019

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
User avatar
lumumba
Posts: 1577
Joined: 04 Sep 2003, 00:00
Location: brussels Europe

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by lumumba » 21 Jun 2019, 02:13

In my opinion a piece of the puzzle is missing here the Belgium government did not help at all Brussels Airlines and Brussels Airport after the terrorist attacks.

They should have invested millions then because everything was working well Brussels Airlines that year should make around 50 million profit.

Nobody could stop this investment sure not the EU and has with SABENA they did nothing!!!!

Brussels Airlines has never really recovered since.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Jetter
Posts: 378
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 21:07

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Jetter » 21 Jun 2019, 06:25

lumumba wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 02:13
In my opinion a piece of the puzzle is missing here the Belgium government did not help at all Brussels Airlines and Brussels Airport after the terrorist attacks.

They should have invested millions then because everything was working well Brussels Airlines that year should make around 50 million profit.
They wouldn’t even need to invest if they had a policy favorable towards aviation. Instead there is a Diablo tax, little investment in the road infrastructure around BRU, a privatized airport for which airlines pay the price, the threat of noise fines imposed etc. Unions aren’t helping either with recent strikes from pilots, handlers and atco’s.

When you’re surrounded by countries who have a policy to facilitate the national airline (NL), have the most popular tourist city in the world (FR) or a home market with little competition (DE) and you don’t have any aviation policy at all even a large one-time investment wouldn’t have been enough to compete.

Boeing767copilot
Posts: 1285
Joined: 13 May 2004, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Boeing767copilot » 24 Jun 2019, 10:47

LUFTHANSA announces a re-orientation of Brussels Airlines: closer alignment with Network Airlines; integration into Eurowings will not be further pursued.

The best news ever. :D

b720
Posts: 846
Joined: 04 May 2006, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by b720 » 24 Jun 2019, 11:01

Excellent news! A good morning to all!

SkyTourist
Posts: 27
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 00:26

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by SkyTourist » 24 Jun 2019, 11:05

Back to this picture then :)
Attachments
Lufthansa-Group-400X230.jpg
Lufthansa-Group-400X230.jpg (71.11 KiB) Viewed 1114 times

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1538
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Conti764 » 24 Jun 2019, 11:05

Boeing767copilot wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 10:47
LUFTHANSA announces a re-orientation of Brussels Airlines: closer alignment with Network Airlines; integration into Eurowings will not be further pursued.

The best news ever. :D
Finally some common sense.

ezis_bis
Posts: 203
Joined: 07 Aug 2014, 17:11
Location: Tallinn, EU

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by ezis_bis » 24 Jun 2019, 11:14

Conti764 wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 11:05
Finally some common sense.
I think so too
The construction of LongHaul Brussels inside Star Alliance and integrated in Eurowings was way too complex to be workable. And such a structure can't be lean and efficient.

I think an efficient hybrid carrier in Brussels Airport can do well, plus it mixes two specific audiences; frequent travelling eurocrats and African diaspora, it's quite an interesting mix.

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35206
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by sn26567 » 24 Jun 2019, 11:37

André
ex Sabena #26567

Boeing767copilot
Posts: 1285
Joined: 13 May 2004, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Boeing767copilot » 24 Jun 2019, 11:45

Would this wise decision not be partly due to the efforts and good work of the German CEO Christina Foerster? After a year and a half, she probably determined that integration was not the best solution for Brussels Airlines and Eurowings.

Bel33
Posts: 128
Joined: 18 Feb 2012, 18:36

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Bel33 » 24 Jun 2019, 11:48

It was also the opinion of Bernard Gustin... Remember!

FlyingUnicorn
Posts: 6
Joined: 24 Jun 2019, 11:46

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by FlyingUnicorn » 24 Jun 2019, 11:53

I’m still a bit sceptic over the news. Everybody gets a hooray mood over this news.

There are pro and cons. And lots of questions.
- european flights maybe eurowings after all.
- long haul only brussels airlines brand.
- what if you dont get break even... (lots of good parts are allready stripped)

And what about eurowings. Its euro... it wont be germany only.

Maybe later this year more answers (or bitter pills after hopefully a disturbance free summer)

PttU
Posts: 288
Joined: 24 Nov 2015, 15:07

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by PttU » 24 Jun 2019, 12:15

Boeing767copilot wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 10:47
LUFTHANSA announces a re-orientation of Brussels Airlines: closer alignment with Network Airlines; integration into Eurowings will not be further pursued.

The best news ever. :D
Not to be the party-pooper that brings rain on this sunny day, but...
What if "Brussels Airlines" will indeed remain for the long haul flights, but Eurowings will take over some European Flights, gradually increasing it's foothold at BRU, slowly phasing out the destinations, crew and aircraft of SN?
What if Eurowings for instance takes over the flights to and from HAM, TXL,... as Eurowings has a strong German base?
What if Eurowings takes over the flights to Heraklion, Marsa Alam, or other ex-TC-destinations, as those are clearly point-to-point? SN can still codeshare on these flights, but it would still match with "focus on A320" and point-to-point, and add some brand recognition for Eurowings in Brussels.
That way "closer alignment with Network Airlines; integration into Eurowings will not be further pursued." remains valid, but not necessarily good news for the long term.

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35206
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by sn26567 » 24 Jun 2019, 12:20

Boeing767copilot wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 11:45
Would this wise decision not be partly due to the efforts and good work of the German CEO Christina Foerster? After a year and a half, she probably determined that integration was not the best solution for Brussels Airlines and Eurowings.
I think that the Comm dept also listened to the mood in Belgium and relayed the concerns of the Belgians to the LHGroup management. Comm is going both directions!
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers
Posts: 2961
Joined: 24 Jun 2006, 08:34
Location: Vl.Brabant
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by jan_olieslagers » 24 Jun 2019, 12:23

Would this wise decision not be partly due to the efforts and good work of the German CEO Christina Foerster?
Partly, perhaps. But I'm sure the powerful influencers at luchtz^h^h^h^h^h aviation24.be contributed at least as much!

dev7
Posts: 5
Joined: 07 May 2018, 19:20

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by dev7 » 24 Jun 2019, 12:27

Of course the headlines are focused on the Eurowings integration being called off, but at the same time a 'turn around plan' has been announced for Q3.

This timing is very likely a tactical move to avoid industrial action during the Summer season, in which case I'm sure the plan won't be to the liking of the personnel and unions.

Boeing767copilot
Posts: 1285
Joined: 13 May 2004, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Boeing767copilot » 24 Jun 2019, 12:30

dev7 wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 12:27
Of course the headlines are focused on the Eurowings integration being called off, but at the same time a 'turn around plan' has been announced for Q3.

This timing is very likely a tactical move to avoid industrial action during the Summer season, in which case I'm sure the plan won't be to the liking of the personnel and unions.
A turn around plan can also be positive. New aircraft, new routes, extra impulses, etc.

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35206
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by sn26567 » 24 Jun 2019, 12:32

jan_olieslagers wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 12:23
Would this wise decision not be partly due to the efforts and good work of the German CEO Christina Foerster?
Partly, perhaps. But I'm sure the powerful influencers at luchtz^h^h^h^h^h aviation24.be contributed at least as much!
Thanks! If you mean this article:

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... f-its-ceo/

I can agree with you. I had a meeting with the Vice President Communication of Brussels Airlines shortly after writing the article, and I can tell you that she listened with attention. She is German and she came to Brussels Airlines from Lufthansa.
André
ex Sabena #26567

dev7
Posts: 5
Joined: 07 May 2018, 19:20

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by dev7 » 24 Jun 2019, 12:45

Boeing767copilot wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 12:30
dev7 wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 12:27
Of course the headlines are focused on the Eurowings integration being called off, but at the same time a 'turn around plan' has been announced for Q3.

This timing is very likely a tactical move to avoid industrial action during the Summer season, in which case I'm sure the plan won't be to the liking of the personnel and unions.
A turn around plan can also be positive. New aircraft, new routes, extra impulses, etc.
Why not announce that already then?

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1538
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Conti764 » 24 Jun 2019, 12:48

jan_olieslagers wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 12:23
Would this wise decision not be partly due to the efforts and good work of the German CEO Christina Foerster?
Partly, perhaps. But I'm sure the powerful influencers at luchtz^h^h^h^h^h aviation24.be contributed at least as much!
Why oh why thede childish remarks?

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1538
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Conti764 » 24 Jun 2019, 12:54

PttU wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 12:15
Boeing767copilot wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 10:47
LUFTHANSA announces a re-orientation of Brussels Airlines: closer alignment with Network Airlines; integration into Eurowings will not be further pursued.

The best news ever. :D
Not to be the party-pooper that brings rain on this sunny day, but...
What if "Brussels Airlines" will indeed remain for the long haul flights, but Eurowings will take over some European Flights, gradually increasing it's foothold at BRU, slowly phasing out the destinations, crew and aircraft of SN?
What if Eurowings for instance takes over the flights to and from HAM, TXL,... as Eurowings has a strong German base?
What if Eurowings takes over the flights to Heraklion, Marsa Alam, or other ex-TC-destinations, as those are clearly point-to-point? SN can still codeshare on these flights, but it would still match with "focus on A320" and point-to-point, and add some brand recognition for Eurowings in Brussels.
That way "closer alignment with Network Airlines; integration into Eurowings will not be further pursued." remains valid, but not necessarily good news for the long term.
It seems fairly logical to me to shift (a part of) the leisure flying and p2p heavy destinations to EW.

Post Reply