Brussels Airlines in 2019

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
jerry
Posts: 29
Joined: 03 Jul 2014, 18:34

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by jerry »

@SkyTourist: the problem is that EW is not a *A member and as such you do not get the additional benefits, such as lounge access and priority boarding. It’s true that you might be able to get miles with some agreements with AC, UA, NH but *A is way bigger than that.

But as I said before, perhaps it is their intention to limit these benefits by transiting to EW.

SkyTourist
Posts: 27
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 00:26

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by SkyTourist »

jerry wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 15:18 @SkyTourist: the problem is that EW is not a *A member and as such you do not get the additional benefits, such as lounge access and priority boarding. It’s true that you might be able to get miles with some agreements with AC, UA, NH but *A is way bigger than that.

But as I said before, perhaps it is their intention to limit these benefits by transiting to EW.
@jerry: You are right, benefits with a EW ticket are harder to get (e.g. at least a Smart ticket for lounge access; don't know about their priority policy). As you say it will be interesting to see how they will deal with the benefits you mentioned and broaden up to other *A partners or not. If they want to keep business travellers, this may be a factor to consider.

With the consolidation within the LH group (as Casten Spohr is always predicting: a consolidation in Europe into 3 major airlines, comparable to the big three in the US) the Eurowings model may further develop. They have already moved from the low cost model to the more SN-like hybrid model with three booking classes. Acknowledging *A lounge & priority privileges could strengthen their position on the business market. On the other hand the talks about Eurowings moving more into tourism (https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... in-market/ hints at Eurowings taking another direction. But similarly, also SN now is partially a regular, partially a leisure carrier.

Poiu
Posts: 848
Joined: 14 Nov 2015, 09:38

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Poiu »

SkyTourist wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 15:59
jerry wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 15:18 @SkyTourist: the problem is that EW is not a *A member and as such you do not get the additional benefits, such as lounge access and priority boarding. It’s true that you might be able to get miles with some agreements with AC, UA, NH but *A is way bigger than that.

But as I said before, perhaps it is their intention to limit these benefits by transiting to EW.
@jerry: You are right, benefits with a EW ticket are harder to get (e.g. at least a Smart ticket for lounge access; don't know about their priority policy). As you say it will be interesting to see how they will deal with the benefits you mentioned and broaden up to other *A partners or not. If they want to keep business travellers, this may be a factor to consider.
How many business(wo)men are going to lose hours on an intermediate stop to have lounge access or priority boarding? Once again a couple of avgeeks yes, but the general public can be divided into two; VFR who want to fly as cheap as possible and business people who want to minimise their travel time. Frequent flyer benefits only come in third position and far behind convenience and price.

SkyTourist
Posts: 27
Joined: 07 Sep 2015, 00:26

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by SkyTourist »

Poiu wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 16:23
SkyTourist wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 15:59
jerry wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 15:18 @SkyTourist: the problem is that EW is not a *A member and as such you do not get the additional benefits, such as lounge access and priority boarding. It’s true that you might be able to get miles with some agreements with AC, UA, NH but *A is way bigger than that.

But as I said before, perhaps it is their intention to limit these benefits by transiting to EW.
@jerry: You are right, benefits with a EW ticket are harder to get (e.g. at least a Smart ticket for lounge access; don't know about their priority policy). As you say it will be interesting to see how they will deal with the benefits you mentioned and broaden up to other *A partners or not. If they want to keep business travellers, this may be a factor to consider.
How many business(wo)men are going to lose hours on an intermediate stop to have lounge access or priority boarding? Once again a couple of avgeeks yes, but the general public can be divided into two; VFR who want to fly as cheap as possible and business people who want to minimise their travel time. Frequent flyer benefits only come in third position and far behind convenience and price.
SN's lounge is not filled with AV geeks only ;). Passengers using future EW feeder flights to/from BRU may appreciate the lounge, just as business travellers will appreciate the priority checkin/security/boarding. It may be a factor, so with jerry I am curious what direction they will be moving in.

Poiu
Posts: 848
Joined: 14 Nov 2015, 09:38

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Poiu »

SkyTourist wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 16:40
SN's lounge is not filled with AV geeks only ;). Passengers using future EW feeder flights to/from BRU may appreciate the lounge, just as business travellers will appreciate the priority checkin/security/boarding. It may be a factor, so with jerry I am curious what direction they will be moving in.
Don’t read what I didn’t write!
Off course people appreciate the lounge, the question however is will they change their travel plans and increase travel time because lounge access is not available?
Many businesses people have top tier company credit cards which come with a free lounge access pass anyhow. The ones who travel to Turkey to fly four domnestic C sectors to obtain M&M Gold status and have a whole year of free gold benefits, whilst travelling on the cheapest fares, will be complaining, but it is exactly this category of customers that airlines want to get rid off.

brusselsairlinesfan
Posts: 881
Joined: 29 Mar 2007, 14:44

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Passenger wrote: 31 May 2019, 23:39
brusselsairlinesfan wrote: 31 May 2019, 23:11 I refused to believe it before seeing this pic. I did immediatly cancel my next to HER on SN... in favor of AF from CDG!
So you want us to believe that you still had some SN flights booked after all your anti Brussels Airlines posts from the last weeks and months? Strange.

By the way: cancellation costs for BRU-HER: 100% ? Or perhaps you only book fully-refundable Business Class...
Dear Passenger,
Not fair... indeed it was my last booking. Cancellation costs matter but in other hand, I will save the costs related to my usual road trip from Paris to BRU and the overnight and parking costs at BRU...

brusselsairlinesfan
Posts: 881
Joined: 29 Mar 2007, 14:44

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

sn26567 wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 16:23
737MAX wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 13:47
brusselsairlinesfan wrote: 31 May 2019, 23:11
Weeping realistic words... I would say exactly the same.
I refused to believe it before seeing this pic. I did immediatly cancel my next to HER on SN... in favor of AF from CDG!
So instead of flying from BRU with people still working for Brussels Airlines but with a chance to be in a Eurowings livery plane, you cancel your booking in favor of... Paris????
Err..., brusselsairlinesfan lives in Paris. He was going out of his way to fly SN!
Exactly, I do live in Paris. I used to fly the CDG-BRU leg when connecting to a SN long haul destination in the US (I do remember the inaugural JFK flight with nostalgia) or AFI (Eg : DKR).
However as the CDG-BRU flights are only opened to PAX flying long-haul, I used to drive from Paris to BRU just for the pleasure to catch an SN flight when flying on their european network... you might find it stupid but yes, I guess I was a true loyal fan!
Being an « ultra «  since the SABENA times back in the end 90’s, and pleased to see the revival under the Gustin era, please allow me to feel some pain because of the belgian heritage and identity destroyed like this...

jerry
Posts: 29
Joined: 03 Jul 2014, 18:34

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by jerry »

Poiu wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 17:06
SkyTourist wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 16:40
SN's lounge is not filled with AV geeks only ;). Passengers using future EW feeder flights to/from BRU may appreciate the lounge, just as business travellers will appreciate the priority checkin/security/boarding. It may be a factor, so with jerry I am curious what direction they will be moving in.
Don’t read what I didn’t write!
Off course people appreciate the lounge, the question however is will they change their travel plans and increase travel time because lounge access is not available?
I guess they should have their own numbers, about the # of people that are using the lounge (on a C ticket, on a M&M status or other *A status) and they are taking them into account for the transition (since only the last category will be affected).

The connecting issue (from long-haul-excellent SN to short-haul-mediocre-EW) could be solved by seeing EW as a connecting partner (aka ThaiSmile etc.).

As Poiu wrote, I am afraid that people like me (or SkyTourist) will be the last ones in the "queue". Personally, I live in (dutch) Limburg, so i have the options of EIN, BRU, DUS, CGN (even AMS). As a *A gold, I am opting for a flight that gives me the perks if the price is reasonable, otherwise I just go for the cheapest option. But to be honest, I have never taken a EW flight from CGN or DUS because they are expensive! (and i have taken FR, DY, W6, HV though).

Poiu
Posts: 848
Joined: 14 Nov 2015, 09:38

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Poiu »

Ansett wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 00:05 Poiu, can you please explain this : "The ones who travel to Turkey to fly four domnestic C sectors to obtain M&M Gold status". Unless the rules have changed recently, you need 100,000 qualifying miles in one year to get M&M Gold (Senator) status !
Turkish had a 5 times miles promotion last year which made it quite easy to obtain elite status, once your are you, by memory (!), only need 45000 miles every two years to retain status.

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 37420
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by sn26567 »

Darjeeling wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 16:11 Question :?: :

When will the new EW/SN entity leave Star Alliance? We all know Eurowings is totally separated from Star...

I have heard in 2022 at the latest, but how will they proceed if the SN brands survive for the long-haul? That must be a headache. :| :roll:

I tend to say that North Atlantic and AFI flights will be "Eurowings operated by Brussels Airlines" for pure marketing purposes... but out of Star Alliance.
I asked the question to SN. Answer from their spokeswoman: "As for Star Alliance, no change is currently in sight for Brussels Airlines and its Star Alliance membership, so no change for our passengers."
André
ex Sabena #26567

User avatar
CTBke
Posts: 1149
Joined: 13 May 2003, 00:00
Location: Newark NJ

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by CTBke »

sn26567 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 11:22
Darjeeling wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 16:11 Question :?: :

When will the new EW/SN entity leave Star Alliance? We all know Eurowings is totally separated from Star...

I have heard in 2022 at the latest, but how will they proceed if the SN brands survive for the long-haul? That must be a headache. :| :roll:

I tend to say that North Atlantic and AFI flights will be "Eurowings operated by Brussels Airlines" for pure marketing purposes... but out of Star Alliance.
I asked the question to SN. Answer from their spokeswoman: "As for Star Alliance, no change is currently in sight for Brussels Airlines and its Star Alliance membership, so no change for our passengers."
Off course , they're still debating on how to create Eurowings Belgium in 2020, it's not because there's one A320 painted in EW colors , the ID will change completely. The Germans knew from the start it would become complicated as you can't just put any other brand in Africa. It took years before they accepted it was Brussels Airlines and no longer SN Brussels Airlines. on the other side they also are aware a lot of AFI guests are transferring from everywhere in Europe so to keep this traffic they'll need to be inventive to allow guests to connect from EW flights onto SN long haul flights which isn't easy and same goes for star alliance. And if they leave star alliance you'll still be able to earn miles as on Eurowings this is possible as well still (they recognize HON/SEN/GOLD etc) they can still keep strategic code share agreements with important airliners but time will tell how that'll be ...
Citybird
The flying dream

AvGeek
Posts: 5
Joined: 28 Mar 2019, 10:23

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by AvGeek »

A sight we might never see... A Boeing 787 Dreamliner with the Brussels Airlines livery...
Received in Brussels Airport newsletter.

Image

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 37420
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by sn26567 »

Jan Smets, former governor of the National Bank of Belgium, joins the Board of SN Air Holding.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... irholding/

The latest press release of Brussels Airlines does not tell everything:
  • Jan Smets replaces another Belgian Director, Emmanuel Van Innis. SN could at least have explained why the latter has been replaced.
  • Etienne Davignon is 86 and will retire at the end of 2019. Jan Smets will succeed him as Co-Chairman of the Board.
  • All the decisions are taken by Lufthansa. More and more Belgian managers are leaving Brussels Airlines where they don't have any future. Most of the management positions are now in the hands of Germans.
  • There is a strong antagonism between the Belgians, who want to see Brussels Airlines as a hub airline, and the Germans who want to integrate it into point-to-point Eurowings.
  • Brussels Airlines is expected to be still in red figures for the first 6 months of 2019
Let's hope that Jan Smets will strongly defend the Belgian point of view at the Board.
André
ex Sabena #26567

SLM
Posts: 152
Joined: 21 Jan 2016, 16:31

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by SLM »

Aircraft : airbus 320/ 00-SNN Eurowings for Brussels Airlines. When will be the 00-SNN come into service? Destination? Many thanks!

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 11503
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by luchtzak »

SLM wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 16:43 Aircraft : airbus 320/ 00-SNN Eurowings for Brussels Airlines. When will be the 00-SNN come into service? Destination? Many thanks!
As of 15 June, Brussels Airlines cabin and cockpit crew will operate the aircraft. Which is equipped with 180 seats in Laudamotion style.

Source: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... gs-livery/

User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4483
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Atlantis »

sn26567 wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 11:22
Darjeeling wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 16:11 Question :?: :

When will the new EW/SN entity leave Star Alliance? We all know Eurowings is totally separated from Star...

I have heard in 2022 at the latest, but how will they proceed if the SN brands survive for the long-haul? That must be a headache. :| :roll:

I tend to say that North Atlantic and AFI flights will be "Eurowings operated by Brussels Airlines" for pure marketing purposes... but out of Star Alliance.
I asked the question to SN. Answer from their spokeswoman: "As for Star Alliance, no change is currently in sight for Brussels Airlines and its Star Alliance membership, so no change for our passengers."
I can tell you that this week, when I booked my ticket to Milan, there was no possibility anymore to select SN Star Alliance. The only ones who were visible were LH, SX, OS, LOT and some other possibilities.

A few weeks ago, when I was flying back to Belgium, it was still possible.

Something changed already?

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 37420
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by sn26567 »

Atlantis wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 23:00 I can tell you that this week, when I booked my ticket to Milan, there was no possibility anymore to select SN Star Alliance. The only ones who were visible were LH, SX, OS, LOT and some other possibilities.

A few weeks ago, when I was flying back to Belgium, it was still possible.

Something changed already?
Really?

Here I find flights with SN, LH and LX:

http://booking.staralliance.com/en-GB/f ... 2019-06-11
André
ex Sabena #26567

User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4483
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Atlantis »

Hi Andre,

Maybe I was not clear enough in my message. I mean that during my booking I could not select anymore my M&M membership of SN. Only LH, LX, OS, LOT was possible in M&M. So I chose this one of LH.
A week ago, when I was taking an other flight to BRU, it was still possible to chose M&M SN.

That's why I'm wondering if SN is still in the program

CRJ 900
Posts: 139
Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 13:21
Location: Antwerp Area
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by CRJ 900 »

Flew EW to STR last week. My M&M nr of SN was noted at the check-in at SN. Received my miles nicely 7 days later.
Everything went smoothly.
Although you need to mention M&M explicitely. Not automaticly anymore.

Jetter
Posts: 478
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 21:07

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2019

Post by Jetter »

sn26567 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 14:04[*]Brussels Airlines is expected to be still in red figures for the first 6 months of 2019
:cry: So no new planes then.

Post Reply