Anomalies in BRU-ANR-CRL-LGG-OST in 2019

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

nordikcam

Re: Anomalies in BRU-ANR-CRL-LGG-OST in 2019

Post by nordikcam »

What's happened with flights to JFK today ( SN 501 and DL 141 ) ? More than 6 hours delay !

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

United to Newark also had a significant albeit smaller delay.
And Delta's flight to Atlanta was cancelled.

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

LOT operating WAW-BRU-WAW with a 787 this morning 8-)

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Here we go AGAIN: major breakdown of the baggage handling system this morning at BRU.
This is getting ridiculous.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

That's crazy they don't have a B plan when something like this happens.....profit profit profit that all what matters!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

And it's only the begining. In 2030, at least the 20 biggest airports in Europe will be saturated. But there are also some "medium size airports", such as Toulouse or Geneve, that will be saturated.

Edit: It's not the 20 biggest, but 19 big airports in UE

If they are not changes (hiring more staff, close some air routes or reduce flights on some air routes, where the train is a good alternative, upgrade Airport infrastructure...), this kind of scene, could be a common sight, not only in summer or during christmas, but at any time of the year.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... JRqhcRej2k

Announced saturation of Geneva and Zurich airports

The Confederation anticipates a massive growth of air traffic over the next fifteen years. The country's two largest tarmacs are expected to reach capacity by 2030. Rail and road still have room

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... eve-zurich
Last edited by rwandan-flyer on 13 Jul 2019, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

Stij

Post by Stij »

Stij wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 14:17 1,400 suitcases left behind at Brussels Airport due to insufficient capacity of baggage belt.
https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brus ... gage-belt/
And it's not the first time!!!
A few months ago it happened to family of mine... the same SN belt. Their bags only arrived 2 days later at their destination. So they had to buy a lot of stuff there. SN's response was "No compensation because it's not our fault". And that was it.
Of course it's not SN's fault, but Brussels Airport's. Bagagebelts aren't supposed to break down every two months.
So, in the end, as a passenger you pay for the lack of maintenance / lack of timely replacement investment of Brussels Airport... But look at our shopping malls, office buildings and happy shareholders!

Cheers,

Stij
And here we go again! Now the whole scan system is down...

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2019/07/13 ... en-zonder/

This time my parents are the victim...

This is getting outrageous and scandalous...

Stij

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Come on BRU, stop the amateurism.

Demolish the Swissport building adjacent to the busparking and build a new state of the art terminal. And afterwards, gradually give the existing infrastructure a thorough renovation.

Stop wasting money on (f.e.) some ugly white striping on the departure curb and BAC logo's no-one can see unless you're at the one of the parkings toplevel.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

And what would that improve on the luggage handling??

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 16:09 And what would that improve on the luggage handling??
I think it's general they need to invest no need to open a new terminal but use the satellite for example make some space it looks very crowded sometimes....

Same for the luggage system everybody knows it can happen they need a B plan there is missing something in the Brussels Airport management.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 16:09 And what would that improve on the luggage handling??
If you build a new terminal, you can build a new state of the art baggage handling system underneath. Clearly the current system can't cope with huge numbers of bags (almost every single exceptionally busy day it fails).

Some drastic decisions are needed ASAP.

jan_olieslagers

But it is not impossible to review or recreate the luggage handling without building a new terminal... I am not an expert and I do not know the details, but if the system basically works but has trouble with handing large volumes, it might be more indicated to increase capacity (more powerful servers? more tag readers? more sorting lanes? Or, perhaps least desired of all, more staff, or more motivation for them?)

Some comments remind me of the biblical "if your hand leads you into sin, cut it off..." Mutadis mutandis: "if your terminal has an issue with the luggage handling, throw it away and build another one..."
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 13 Jul 2019, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

An entirely new system. Although updated throughout the years, it basicly still is a 25 year old system.

jan_olieslagers

So what? Such systems are not subject to C or D checks, and even the airliners that are can and often do have useful lives well beyond 25 years. It is useless to suggest solutions without knowing root causes. Some might say "typical luchtzak toogpraat".

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Maybe those planes who are subject to C- and D-checks can have a useful life beyond 25 years right because of these checks? And even then... A reliable airline with skilled maintenance crews can fly around 20+ years old planes like SN did but it comes at a risk of having a low reliability right because of age related wear and tear. Or take our world famous OO-TUC which was known for being sensitive to braking down every once and a while.

And indeed those planes are subject to regular scrutinizing checks and very in depth maintenance, so it's not exactly a wonder that a 25 year old system which is subject to far less in depth maintenance is failing. And kinda similar to the Max' crashes, when a crucial system in an airport operations system fails twice in a relatively short period something is wrong.

And given BRU's peak moment capacity issues you can't just shut down a part of the system to check it, let alone thoroughly renovate it. Hence the 'expand the terminal'-remark, so they'd have more capacity and they can comfortably renew the current systems.

BAC is throwing money out of open doors and windows to projects of a lesser importance.

jan_olieslagers

Building a new terminal - of course never a bad idea, basically! - cannot be planned on 1-2-3 anyway. Yet the present issues cry for immediate remediation. So, while the strategies management may ponder the new terminal, the tactical management will have to look into the luggage handling issue, and how to increase capacity on the short term. A solution by October is not what is needed!

Regarding "throwing money out of open doors and windows" I can judge less than ever; if this really be the case then I suppose the management will one day have to answer some stringent questions from the shareholders.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 18:59 Building a new terminal - of course never a bad idea, basically! - cannot be planned on 1-2-3 anyway. Yet the present issues cry for immediate remediation. So, while the strategies management may ponder the new terminal, the tactical management will have to look into the luggage handling issue, and how to increase capacity on the short term. A solution by October is not what is needed!

Regarding "throwing money out of open doors and windows" I can judge less than ever; if this really be the case then I suppose the management will one day have to answer some stringent questions from the shareholders.
I know it's not build in 1-2-3 but I miss a long term vision by BRU management. Look at A-pier West. Already planned years ago, it got postponed because of air traffic growth slowing down, then it was to be build again only to be postponed because of uncertainty about SN's future (amongst others). Nowadays S-tails are lining up next to Ryanair at the remote apron adjacent to the A-pier and the T-zone is no longer able to cope with the African wave in the morning.

For many years I see things being build at BRU, only to be removed again some time after. The stunt with the ugly departure curb is another example. Not a huge investment but these little thigs left and right absorp budget and manpower.

jan_olieslagers

I miss a long term vision by BRU management
That is a general tendency today, both in business and in politics. Quick wins are the only goal. Some say there is bad influence from the so-called "social media", others blame investors who only care for immediate profit.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

SN3778 IBZ-BRU (A319 OO-SSK) had to make a priority landing at Brussels Airport due to an engine problem yesterday 13 July:

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... s-airport/
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 13 Jul 2019, 20:14
I miss a long term vision by BRU management
That is a general tendency today, both in business and in politics. Quick wins are the only goal. Some say there is bad influence from the so-called "social media", others blame investors who only care for immediate profit.
It’s the cocktail...

Stij