London Gatwick closed for +24 hours after drone activity around the airfield

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

FLYAIR10

Re: London Gatwick closed for hours after drone activity around the airfield

Post by FLYAIR10 »

From what I’ve read elsewhere, the UAVs in question here seem far from toys. There have been reports of 7+ UAVs in the air around EGKK simultaneously, some reports even mentioned “petrol powered” UAVs.
This is a delibarate act to bring one of the UK’s biggest airports to a standstill, not some kid with a toy not knowing any better.
As such, regulating this would be far, far more difficult than just writing some legislation and calling it a day.
Maybe the RAF has to consider to create a killer-drone squadron to eliminate this kind of threat.
I was wondering what the armies/arms industry in the world are doing to counter the use of drones in general?
Usually when there is a new weapon, defence gurus are brainstorming how to eliminate the threat created by the new 'weapon'. I can not imagine some generals have not been thinking how to handle the new battlefield situation created by the widespread use of small and medium sized drones /UAV's which are used for recce,spying or even attacks. (In the LGW-case,using Apache helicopters to shoot down drones in a civil environment is probably too risky)
What about jamming? or hacking and take over control? Or are these LGW drones pre-programmed and can act, and react, on their own?

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Update #Gatwick confirms there has been another drone sighting in the last hour and the airport may be closed until Saturday #GatwickAirport

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

The army has been called in to deal with the drone situation at London Gatwick.

MoD SP: "There are ongoing discussions with the police about any military capability that could be provided to assist with their operation."

luchtzak

Re: London Gatwick closed for +24 hours after drone activity around the airfield

Post by luchtzak »

An easyJet made a brief tour of the airfield, then returning to the gate. Some users of social media say it's to lure the drone user out of his/her location.

luchtzak

Re: London Gatwick closed for +24 hours after drone activity around the airfield

Post by luchtzak »

London Gatwick tweet: Gatwick's runway will remain closed and all flights are cancelled for the rest of the evening because of continued drone sightings in and around the airfield as we continue to work with police and security partners to resolve the situation. Passengers should check the status of their flight with their airline and not travel to the airport if their flight is not confirmed. We share passengers’ frustration and are grateful for their ongoing patience.

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Accoeding to Eurocontrol: Gatwick open again, but with extremely high delays.
Thomas

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

FLYAIR10 wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 22:36
From what I’ve read elsewhere, the UAVs in question here seem far from toys. There have been reports of 7+ UAVs in the air around EGKK simultaneously, some reports even mentioned “petrol powered” UAVs.
This is a delibarate act to bring one of the UK’s biggest airports to a standstill, not some kid with a toy not knowing any better.
As such, regulating this would be far, far more difficult than just writing some legislation and calling it a day.
Maybe the RAF has to consider to create a killer-drone squadron to eliminate this kind of threat.
I was wondering what the armies/arms industry in the world are doing to counter the use of drones in general?
Usually when there is a new weapon, defence gurus are brainstorming how to eliminate the threat created by the new 'weapon'. I can not imagine some generals have not been thinking how to handle the new battlefield situation created by the widespread use of small and medium sized drones /UAV's which are used for recce,spying or even attacks. (In the LGW-case,using Apache helicopters to shoot down drones in a civil environment is probably too risky)
What about jamming? or hacking and take over control? Or are these LGW drones pre-programmed and can act, and react, on their own?
I guess the world has been very naive around this.
Military are working on it, but what about civilian defence ?
It really take only a few kids.
A cloud of 50 cheap 10€ drones taking off in 15 sec could create a huge mess.
I wonder how the situation is handled at other airports, unless this is a very targeted bad joke (lets not call it an attack until we know the real intentions), it can happen again anywhere
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

KriVa wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 07:56 Accoeding to Eurocontrol: Gatwick open again, but with extremely high delays.
LGW indeed open for a limited number of flights. Why not a full schedule if the drones have disappeared?
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Friday 09.30: Gatwick's runway is now available and aircraft are arriving and departing. There are knock-on delays and cancellations to flights and we strongly recommend that you check the status of your flight with your airline before setting out for the airport today.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

The netherlands have a police squadron with american sea eagles to hunt drones. They assisted in Belgium when Trump was here. Maybe an option to prevent such cases?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Rwandair statement:

André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Ryanair statement:

Travel update: Ryanair flights scheduled to operate to/from London Gatwick today (21 Dec) will instead operate to/from London Stansted. All affected customers have been notified by our Customer Care team
https://bit.ly/2T0SLrG
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

London Gatwick closed again, aircraft currently holding ....

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

#Gatwick Update Confirmed Runway will remain closed till 9PM #GatwickAirport
@Gatwick_Airport

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Flights have now resumed. Airfield movements were suspended while we investigated this as safety remains our main priority. The military measures we have in place at the airport have provided us with reassurance necessary to re-open our airfield.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Two people arrested following drone incursions at Gatwick Airport released without charge: https://www.aviation24.be/airports/lond ... ut-charge/

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Two people wrongly charged, yet picture shamed in newspaper(s) and online ...