WOW Air bankrupt, restarts as PLAY

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

TLspotting

Re: WOW Air bankrupt, restarts as PLAY

Post by TLspotting »

Hi. I'm Thibault Lapers. @ThibaultLapers & @TLspotting

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Nice try, MOM, but who can believe that, in the middle of a pandemic when the whole aviation sector is in shambles?
André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

sn26567 wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 23:09 Nice try, MOM, but who can believe that, in the middle of a pandemic when the whole aviation sector is in shambles?
No AOC application for MOM air, the “new” Icelandic airline : https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/wow- ... c-airline/

Via their newsletter, MOM air denies that it is fantasy and is real (saying that the articles are fake news)

I made a long thread on the matter on Twitter, including their press release. To be honest, seems to be fantasy. To be short :

- Similar name to WOW air (nearly their logo upside down), "hot" color, which makes me think of WOW and Play.

- Their server crashed at 13:00 CET, when they are supposed to open their booking engine (which is not even on the homepage, you have to find a button)

- Their booking engine is not completed, you can't give the number of people wanting to fly and exact airports of a city are not mentionned. Furthermore, their "booking system" seems to be under pressure as all the requests I have done until this evening haven't give me any positive result

- More than 60 Instagram stories in 24 hours about people sharing in their story a free flight tickets giveaway post (as I'm student in com, we can clearly see that young people are targeted, as MOM air is not a lot active on Facebook or Twitter)

- CEO doesn't seem to have any experience in the aviation industry

- I asked the airline about my email from the Icelandic Authorities, they haven't answered me (and he/they saw my DMs) and they still continue using their Instagram account to share other's stories (9871 followers at the time of writing, compared to 9117 followers of Air Belgium which has been active for 30 months already)

More news on 11 November 2020 during a press release.

If you're interested :

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

TLspotting wrote: 09 Nov 2020, 23:41 No AOC application for MOM air, the “new” Icelandic airline : https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/wow- ... c-airline/

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

PRESS RELEASE

The last few days have been very exciting for MOM. We opened our website, booking and social media with tremendous response.

Our initial press release regarding the launch of MOM air “Airline looking to improve gender equality in the aviation industry, offer low-cost flights, and maximize the usage of its fleet.” has been published on TravMedia.com, distributed to over 12,000 the UK and North American travel and lifestyle media.

The release was also posted on EIN Presswire with a distribution footprint that reaches millions including journalists, businesses, and industry professionals.
It is quite obvious that MOM air has gathered worthy attention. There is a void that needs to be filled in the travel industry, and MOM air jumped in at just the right time. As we say “Mommy knows best”

With the recent news, optimism about covid vaccine, and a surge in airline stock globally MOM airline has the advantage with a clean slate and no debt at all.
Our press conference which was planned for November the 11th, at 10:00 am GMT, has been postponed by a week in response to media attention and recent developments in the market.

News agencies from Germany, the UK, and the USA have announced that they want to send photographers, journalists and TV crews for the opening press conference, which also explains the postponement.

In addition, we have added a few business partners that wish to be part of the presentation next week.

Reykjavík 10th of November, 2020

The new date for the press conference shall be on the 18th of November, at 1:00 PM GMT. Location to be announced soon.

With regards, Odee

CEO and Founder MOM air

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

My questions are still not answered by MOM air...

As I told on Twitter too, when I try to book anything, I arrive on the loading page of the airline but there's no request ID for their booking system. I can't even access to it! :lol:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

PLAY gains approval for gate slots at London Stansted, Gatwick, and Dublin for its planned launch now set for 2Q 2021. The AOC is still pending.
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

sn26567 wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 11:32 PLAY gains approval for gate slots at London Stansted, Gatwick, and Dublin for its planned launch now set for 2Q 2021. The AOC is still pending.
So ... PLAY is marketed as MOM Air ?

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

luchtzak wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 11:54
sn26567 wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 11:32 PLAY gains approval for gate slots at London Stansted, Gatwick, and Dublin for its planned launch now set for 2Q 2021. The AOC is still pending.
So ... PLAY is marketed as MOM Air ?
No, these are 3 different airlines (with WOW...)
MOM plans to launch to LHR, DUB & GLA and the way to fly is getting the help of a European airline (but we don't know which one)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Photo 18-11-2020, 18 43 54.jpg
Student presents his artwork titled "MOM air"

My artwork titled “MOM air” was exhibited today @__o_p_e_n__ part of a final project for @iceland_university_of_the_arts where I study BA in Fine Arts.

"The presentation in front of the audience today is just the tip of the iceberg, showcasing a glimpse of the living artwork which calls society it's home. People from around the globe have interacted with the piece in some way shape or form. With over 30 global news articles, radio interviews, and more the global phenomenon MOM air reached millions and literally turned their reality upside down."

I created the brand, website, and marketing material during preparations for the final project, which took about 2-3 weeks. After launching the website and sending out press releases the artwork gained a life of its own. Every 6-8 hours I would change the errors people would encounter on the website to keep them busy and involved. At first, they would be stuck on a loading screen, then advance one step, they would be asked to clear their cache or cookies, open the website in different browsers and devices, etc.

I received dozens of complaints, thousands of booking requests, thousands of followers on Instagram, multiple job applications, thousands of comments, global coverage reaching millions, influencer cooperation, company sponsorship, multiple service offers, and more!

At one point I had been offered a fleet of airplanes, service and cabin crew... slots at airports and marketing assistance from a global enterprise.

If you ask why? I think it's quite obvious but also very dependant on where and how the viewer enters and interacts with the artwork. The artwork is multi-layered and full of meaning. It will take me months to dissect the pure amount of data for future exhibition purposes.

ODEE
CEO and Founder
MOM air
@odeeart
http://www.odee.is

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Let's be serious again, after the big MOM air laughter:
PLAY has secured slots at a number of European airports by summer 2021, including at Copenhagen.
André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Really interesting article of Icelandic public broadcaster RÚV about WOW air and Michele Edward Roosevelt...
https://www.ruv.is/kveikur/waiting-game ... f-new-wow/

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Play raised more than US$40 million through a private share offering, backed by some of Iceland’s largest investment companies and two pension funds. Also, Birgir Jonsson will take over as CEO, ahead of a listing on the First North Growth Market in summer 2021, with plans to raise an additional $20 million in funding.
André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Play aims to start on 24 June... https://flugblogg.is/2021/04/28/the-new ... n-24-june/

...and has started to recruit for key positions : https://jobs.50skills.com/flyplay/en

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Play still aims to start on 24 June, to an unknown destination at the moment.

- 1 A321neo to be ready in early June
- 2 more A321neos for July

Destinations : London, Paris, Copenhagen, Alicante and Tenerife, at least.

The booking engine should start very soon. https://simpleflying.com/iceland-play-first-aircraft/

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Play will receive its first out of three leased A321neo aircraft by the end of May 2021 ahead of scheduled passenger flights in late June. The two additional aircraft will be added to the fleet by July. The carrier’s AOL should be issued very soon. Scheduled flights to the US are expected to start by January 2022 once the carrier increases its leased fleet to six or seven aircraft.
André
ex Sabena #26567

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

Icelandic start-up PLAY secures Air Operator Certificate, launches route to Stansted, mulls new destinations :

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/play ... tinations/

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

TLspotting wrote: 17 May 2021, 09:58 Icelandic start-up PLAY secures Air Operator Certificate, launches route to Stansted, mulls new destinations :

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/play ... tinations/

TLspotting

Post by TLspotting »

TF-AEW has arrived at KEF : Play to start Salzburg : (from 22 January till 19 February 2022, once a week, on Sat)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Michele Ballarin's company, USAerospace Partners Inc, yesterday requested that testimonies be taken from 11 people connected to the fallen airline WOW Air, to seek evidence of where the company's flight manuals ended.

When WOW Air went bankrupt, in March 2019, one of the most valuable assets was the flight manuals, which were huge in scope and a prerequisite for an airline to be able to obtain a license as an air carrier from the Icelandic Transport Authority. Books include the Training Manual, the Maintenance Manual, the Quality Manual and the Safety Manual.

If the manuals and their accompanying documents were not in the documents that Ballarin's company purchased, despite the liquidator's assertions to the contrary and have not yet been found within the bankruptcy estate, neither in electronic nor printed form.

It could be assumed that the books were present at the time of the bankruptcy as the company could not operate without them. They must have been destroyed.

It is stated that it is almost impossible to process an application for an operating license with accompanying manuals and documentation within three months without having any models to build on.

https://www.frettabladid.is/frettir/mic ... strarboka/
André
ex Sabena #26567