BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 11041
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by luchtzak » 30 Nov 2018, 12:28

Emirates considers deploying Airbus A380 flagship to Brussels Airport during 45-day runway upgrade at Dubai Airport. Upon contacting the airline, Emirates refused to comment on the news.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/emir ... i-airport/

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 34618
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by sn26567 » 07 Dec 2018, 11:55

airBaltic will start flying from Tallinn, Estonia, to Brussels in Summer 2019 (in addition to the already active route from Riga, Latvia)

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/airb ... n-estonia/
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boeing767copilot
Posts: 1254
Joined: 13 May 2004, 00:00

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Boeing767copilot » 07 Dec 2018, 12:46

sn26567 wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 11:55
airBaltic will start flying from Tallinn, Estonia, to Brussels in Summer 2019 (in addition to the already active route from Riga, Latvia)

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/airb ... n-estonia/
Already announced Aug 16, André :) ;)

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/airb ... o-tallinn/

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 34618
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by sn26567 » 07 Dec 2018, 14:12

Boeing767copilot wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 12:46
sn26567 wrote:
07 Dec 2018, 11:55
airBaltic will start flying from Tallinn, Estonia, to Brussels in Summer 2019 (in addition to the already active route from Riga, Latvia)

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/airb ... n-estonia/
Already announced Aug 16, André :) ;)

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/airb ... o-tallinn/
Indeed, thanks for reminding. It was widely discussed then. Now, airBaltic launches a lot more destinations from Tallinn, where it will base three aircraft. And this is new.
André
ex Sabena #26567

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 11041
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by luchtzak » 17 Dec 2018, 14:10

luchtzak wrote:
30 Nov 2018, 12:28
Emirates considers deploying Airbus A380 flagship to Brussels Airport during 45-day runway upgrade at Dubai Airport. Upon contacting the airline, Emirates refused to comment on the news.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/emir ... i-airport/
During the runway upgrade, Emirates will deploy the A380 to Glasgow. Does the booking engine already indicates the A380 to Brussels ? Or do we still have to dream ? ;-)

TLspotting
Posts: 806
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 10:22
Location: Uccle/Ukkel,BE
Contact:

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by TLspotting » 17 Dec 2018, 14:21

According to someone at Brussels Airport, the A380 at Brussels is fake.
I'm Thibault Lapers, spotter in Belgium for now 3 years, but not yet across the world and a huuuuuge aviation geek ! Join me on Facebook & Twitter @TLspotting

TLspotting
Posts: 806
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 10:22
Location: Uccle/Ukkel,BE
Contact:

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by TLspotting » 31 Jan 2019, 20:09

Timothyevert says that he read somewhere a potential long haul base of Norwegian at Brussels. A quote would be good. Also, I contacted a few days ago both SIA and Scoot for a SIN-BRU flight, they answered me that there was nothing in sight.
I'm Thibault Lapers, spotter in Belgium for now 3 years, but not yet across the world and a huuuuuge aviation geek ! Join me on Facebook & Twitter @TLspotting

BRUpilot
Posts: 59
Joined: 29 Aug 2013, 17:50

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by BRUpilot » 04 Feb 2019, 17:25

Let’s raise our critical voices once again.

I’m a bit concerned as to the number of new destinations, let alone possible new airlines at BRU in 2019. As far as I remember, in the past years, we always had a quite admirable list of new destinations (albeit seasonal) and new airlines (take last year with the very nice growth in long haul connection to far Asia). But this year, and remember we’re already days into february, allow me to say that it’s very quiet as far as new routes, airlines or even frequency changes is concerned. Is BRU brewing on something big (LATAM, Norwegian...) or what are we experiencing?

Let me clarify the reason for my remark and so elaborate a bit on a bigger scale. (Perhaps food for another topic but I’ll let the admins decide on that).
While there were numerous (justified) good reactions on the new pax record BRU made in 2018, we must not look away from the fact that other airports, which I’ve always (perhaps unjust) compared to BRU, are seeing better results in pax growth. Lisbon, Dublin, Vienna have all surpassed BRU afa pax are concerned, pretty much all due to a high(er) growth in long haul network and transfer pax. Another thing I noticed is that BRU some years ago had a solid and quick growth in lowcost with the (for some) much feared coming of Ryanair. They did and still do a good job at BRU, but again; while they seemed ambitious in the beginning, their growth in destinations has become somewhat poor. Again, this all in comparison to e.g. VIE where LEVEL, Wizzair, Eurowings... all established solid bases and certainly contributed to the growth there.

What do you think about these thoughts? Am I too negative?

Bel33
Posts: 120
Joined: 18 Feb 2012, 18:36

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Bel33 » 04 Feb 2019, 21:06

No! In my point of view, the problem is coming from Brussels airlines... sorry... Eurowings.
Mr Spohr and LH are the real problem in Belgium!

User avatar
RoMax
Posts: 4392
Joined: 20 Jun 2009, 16:32

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by RoMax » 04 Feb 2019, 21:41

Bel33 wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 21:06
No! In my point of view, the problem is coming from Brussels airlines... sorry... Eurowings.
Mr Spohr and LH are the real problem in Belgium!
That airline that expanded its market share at BRU from about 30% in 2013 to almost 40% in 2018? That company/group that facilitates the fact that BRU is the 5th largest intl. Star Alliance hub in the world?
Ok then.

Bel33
Posts: 120
Joined: 18 Feb 2012, 18:36

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Bel33 » 04 Feb 2019, 21:54

LH has decided to curb the extension of long haul flights in Brussels.
SN will become a point-to-point company like Ryanair via Eurowings. An air shuttle will transport passengers to Dusseldorf, Fankfurt or Munich for long haul flights.
At most, UA will develop its US-BRU network(EU request).
Africa will be increasingly competitive. Air France-KLM is growing and is by far the leading group present in Africa.
Brussels airport is dependent on SN today but tomorrow?
Via Star Alliance, Spohr can make the rain and sunshine in Brussels.
It hurts to say that, but it's the most likely scenario....

User avatar
Established02
Posts: 1588
Joined: 16 Oct 2002, 00:00

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Established02 » 04 Feb 2019, 21:57

RoMax wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 21:41
BRU is the 5th largest intl. Star Alliance hub in the world
RoMax, I'm rather surprised to hear this.

Where does BRU stand in comparison to let's say FRA / IST / EWR / ORD / MUC / ZRH / HND?

I would assume that already at least these 7 have more Star traffic than BRU.

User avatar
RoMax
Posts: 4392
Joined: 20 Jun 2009, 16:32

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by RoMax » 04 Feb 2019, 22:16

It's an internal Star Alliance statistic that's well known by those familiar in the global Star network, also repeated here in an article about SN in the latest edition of the 'Routes News' magazine: https://content.yudu.com/web/2zc2/0Auv9i/rn1-2019/html/
It was also mentioned during one of the Star Alliance ceo visits last year in Brussels.
How it's exactly determined? I personally don't know, but assume it's based on consolidated international traffic of all Star members and as such doesn't consider the huge domestic hubs in the US, China, etc. Which makes perfect sense in Star's logic which looks at the joint strengths of the alliance and not that of individual strength based on huge domestic networks of single members.

Boeing767copilot
Posts: 1254
Joined: 13 May 2004, 00:00

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Boeing767copilot » 04 Feb 2019, 23:08

RoMax wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 22:16
It's an internal Star Alliance statistic that's well known by those familiar in the global Star network, also repeated here in an article about SN in the latest edition of the 'Routes News' magazine: https://content.yudu.com/web/2zc2/0Auv9i/rn1-2019/html/
It was also mentioned during one of the Star Alliance ceo visits last year in Brussels.
How it's exactly determined? I personally don't know, but assume it's based on consolidated international traffic of all Star members and as such doesn't consider the huge domestic hubs in the US, China, etc. Which makes perfect sense in Star's logic which looks at the joint strengths of the alliance and not that of individual strength based on huge domestic networks of single members.
Says Jeroen Lyssens, VP network Brussels Airlines...

User avatar
RoMax
Posts: 4392
Joined: 20 Jun 2009, 16:32

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by RoMax » 04 Feb 2019, 23:17

Boeing767copilot wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 23:08
Says Jeroen Lyssens, VP network Brussels Airlines...
Jeroen?
And yes he says so, what do you mean with that? That he's lying? Making the truth look nicer than it is? Ashaming his reputation in a publication of the world's most well-known independent organisation in terms of airline/airport route development conferences and publications? I don't think so.
And as I said, the CEO of Star Alliance said the exact same thing when in Brussels last year.

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 34618
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by sn26567 » 04 Feb 2019, 23:59

Anyway, such a statement is, to say the least, surprising. When you say hub, you also say spokes. Where are the spokes? Some flights to feed the African flights. Other than that, BRU has very few connecting passengers, less than 10% according to its own statistics.

In Sabena times, Brussels was a real hub! I remember myself travelling once from Milan Linate to Copenhagen and connecting in Brussels, on two Sabena flights. There were no direct flights at that time. I also on a WAW-BRU flight a group of Poles connecting to DUB. All on Sabena!

BRU was organised as a hub, with 5 daily waves of flights enabling short and easy connections. Very different from today's situation...
André
ex Sabena #26567

convair
Posts: 1688
Joined: 18 Nov 2011, 00:02

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by convair » 05 Feb 2019, 00:42

RoMax wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 21:41
Bel33 wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 21:06
No! In my point of view, the problem is coming from Brussels airlines... sorry... Eurowings.
Mr Spohr and LH are the real problem in Belgium!
That airline that expanded its market share at BRU from about 30% in 2013 to almost 40% in 2018? That company/group that facilitates the fact that BRU is the 5th largest intl. Star Alliance hub in the world?
Ok then.
It was indeed a nice marketshare growth, but mostly achieved by the previous team under Bernard Gustin.
But BRUpilot is right to point out that the current LH management is not taking advantage of BRU's potential.

I really can't understand either the lack of will of LH regarding BRU: the current 40% marketshare shows a great potential of growth. In the centre of Europe, with Nato and EU headquaters nearby and far from saturation, and a lot of long/haul destinations still to be connected, BRU offers LH/SN an enormous potential for development. With some bold decisions, they could become the "King" of the place. Make BRU a real hub, also for a part of North-East German business travelers, and you can alleviate some of the load at FRA, make better use of bilateral agreements (when SN still had BOM, LH was not even codesharing if I remember correctly!-why on earth doesn't LH codeshare on all SN flights, btw?).

(That matter might deserve a thread of its own, as suggested by BRUpilot).

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1435
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Conti764 » 05 Feb 2019, 14:24

BRU is to close to FRA and, regarding Eurowings, DUS. Thus no ambition from LH to truly develop BRU.

The only logic I see for LH acquiring SN is to fence off its backyard, not risking a OW-stronghold at a few miles from its main hub.

JustPlanes
Posts: 953
Joined: 11 Aug 2008, 21:27
Contact:

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by JustPlanes » 06 Feb 2019, 06:36

When you think of it you can kind of understand the logic of LH...
SN is just too small to make it a global carrier.... if you take Swiss, they fly all over North America, South America, Africa and Asia (and they have Edelweiss to cover many routes Swiss doesn't operate), they are a global carrier and they are doing well so its worth investing in a newer fleet and growing...

SN and OS is another story... they each have 10-12 older long haul planes so you would have to invest so much to renew and grow these airlines that it just wouldn't be worth it.

I do not think LH bought SN because it was worried about the competition... but more so for the African network, probably the only area where LH could use substantial growth... and on the routes to Africa you can get away with flying older A330s because there isn't a ton of competition as there is to North America and Asia for example...

Belgium has gone through so many airlines over the past 2-3 decades (Sabena, Sobelair, TEA, Air Belgium #1, Virgin Express, Citybird, VLM, Constellation, EBA, VG Airlines/Delsey) one has to wonder a little...

User avatar
Atlantis
Posts: 4083
Joined: 12 Apr 2005, 00:00

Re: BRU Summer 2019: news, new routes, airlines

Post by Atlantis » 06 Feb 2019, 21:08

TLspotting wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 20:09
Timothyevert says that he read somewhere a potential long haul base of Norwegian at Brussels. A quote would be good. Also, I contacted a few days ago both SIA and Scoot for a SIN-BRU flight, they answered me that there was nothing in sight.
Hi TLspotting,

Sorry to bother you in your enthusiasm but do you really think that SIN or Scoot (which is btw the daughter company of SIN) is going to tell via email their future plans to a completely unknown person??
No single company will tell you this, this is sth only between governments, airports and airlines bcs revealing in public can harm the negotiations and much more.

When the time is there, we will tell

Post Reply