Air Belgium in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

travellover

Re: Air Belgium in 2018

Post by travellover »

convair wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 16:15
travellover wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 14:35
nordikcam wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 11:24 To illustrate Hong Kong, a photo of Hong Kong and to illustrate Charleroi, ...a pic of Mont des Arts in Brussels :-)
And the Atomium, ''Brussels South Charleroi ✈'' 😉
The message on the photo is clear: Take a sip of...Brussels.
Yes, ABB is right to refer pictures or Brussels if BSCA contains the word ''Brussels'. Second passenger airport of Brussels shared with the Charleroi region. Like STN, HHN, NYO as far as I understand, which also refer to the main town.
Cheers

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

travellover wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 16:36
convair wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 16:15
travellover wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 14:35

And the Atomium, ''Brussels South Charleroi ✈'' 😉
The message on the photo is clear: Take a sip of...Brussels.
Yes, ABB is right to refer pictures or Brussels if BSCA contains the word ''Brussels'. Second passenger airport of Brussels shared with the Charleroi region. Like STN, HHN, NYO as far as I understand, which also refer to the main town.
Looks logical to me it's the second airport of Brussels....
Hasta la victoria siempre.

SLM

Post by SLM »

I hope they will start very soon with new destinations such as PVG, Xian etc.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

lumumba wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 16:41

Looks logical to me it's the second airport of Brussels....
For Ryanair maybe, for the rest of Belgium I doubt they'll see the Charleroi airport as a "Brussels" airport :mrgreen: Wasn't Charleroi renamed into Brussels South at the end of the 90's or so for Ryanair?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

travellover wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 16:36 ... Second passenger airport of Brussels shared with the Charleroi region...
Brussels has only one passenger airport: BRU - aka Brussels Airport. Brussels South Charleroi Airport is the airport from/at/near Charleroi. We have already an airline selling Beauvais falsely as Paris, and we don't need a second lier.

For sure, "Brussels" is easier to sell in Hong Kong then "Charleroi". But it would be fair towards their Chinese customers if they would then use "Belgium" i.s.o. "Brussels".

We believe in being honest, with clear communications, no hidden fees and simple-to-understand offers.

(edit: I have added "passenger" to "Brussels has only passenger airport" - to avoid a remark ... and Melsbroek?)

convair

Post by convair »

Passenger wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 18:01 We have already an airline selling Beauvais falsely as Paris, and we don't need a second lier.
Not really a liar: according to Wikipedia, which is not always wrong ;) , London Gatwick is 45 km from the city center; Charleroi airport is ...45 km South of Brussels center. :)

Fyi, LHR is 22 km from center, BRU is 12 km from center.

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Don't shoot the pianist....but BRU is located in Zaventem (Flanders) CRL is located in Gosselies (Wallonia).
No airport in Brussels.....
Both are in the suburbs (< 50 km from center of Brussels city)

travellover

Post by travellover »

Passenger wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 18:01
travellover wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 16:36 ... Second passenger airport of Brussels shared with the Charleroi region...
Brussels has only one passenger airport: BRU - aka Brussels Airport. Brussels South Charleroi Airport is the airport from/at/near Charleroi. We have already an airline selling Beauvais falsely as Paris, and we don't need a second lier.

For sure, "Brussels" is easier to sell in Hong Kong then "Charleroi". But it would be fair towards their Chinese customers if they would then use "Belgium" i.s.o. "Brussels".

We believe in being honest, with clear communications, no hidden fees and simple-to-understand offers.

(edit: I have added "passenger" to "Brussels has only passenger airport" - to avoid a remark ... and Melsbroek?)
Without discussing about the substance of this practice which is not limited to CRL/BSCA, especially for low-cost companies, nor taking position, I simply objectively, honestly, clearly quote the name that the airport officially uses for the public and its users.
Like f.i Frankfurt Hahn (127 km to Francfort City Center), Stockholm Skavsta Nyköping (106,2 km to Stockholm center), Oslo Rygge (68,8 km), Barcelona Gerona, Barcelona Reus, Milano Bergamo, Warsaw Modlin, Venise Treviso... or BSL (Basel Mulhouse Freiburg), OST (Ostend Bruges Flanders).
These airports belong to 2 or even 3 cities.
If we check these airports websites or FR website for instance, these are just the official names (most of all created to identify unknown low cost bases at their very beginning). I stick to it.
https://www.brussels-charleroi-airport. ... index.html

And finally Air Belgium itself uses the official name, when
looking at the reservation system from CRL to HKG and return :
https://www.airbelgium.com/en#0
Last edited by travellover on 03 Apr 2018, 19:51, edited 6 times in total.
Cheers

convair

Post by convair »

Airbus330lover wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 18:35 BRU is located in Zaventem (Flanders) CRL is located in Gosselies (Wallonia).
No airport in Brussels.....
Right; hence some of our political problems... ;)

LHR was included in Greater London, the population of which being about 9 million! :)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

"...In 2003, a German court has ruled that the budget airline Ryanair cannot use the word "Duesseldorf" for an airport 70 kilometres (42 miles) from the city..."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3088311.stm

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Passenger wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 19:09 "...In 2003, a German court has ruled that the budget airline Ryanair cannot use the word "Duesseldorf" for an airport 70 kilometres (42 miles) from the city..."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3088311.stm
Yes but for Brussels South airport they can use it so it's Brussels...
Last edited by lumumba on 03 Apr 2018, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 19:15 Yes but for Brussels South airport it can use it so it's Brussels...
The name is not Brussels South Airport. The name is Brussels South Charleroi Airport. In their Flemish and French communication, Air Belgium says "Charleroi Airport". So why don't do this in English?

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Passenger wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 19:24
lumumba wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 19:15 Yes but for Brussels South airport it can use it so it's Brussels...
The name is not Brussels South Airport. The name is Brussels South Charleroi Airport. In their Flemish and French communication, Air Belgium says "Charleroi Airport". So why don't do this in English?
Charleroi is a lot closer to Brussels than quite a lot of other “main” airports are to their city.

convair

Post by convair »

Passenger wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 19:24 The name is not Brussels South Airport. The name is Brussels South Charleroi Airport. In their Flemish and French communication, Air Belgium says "Charleroi Airport". So why don't do this in English?
Maybe because they believe international travellers will be less nitpicking than the locals... :)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

convair wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 19:57 Maybe because they believe international travellers will be less nitpicking than the locals... :)
Sure. Here are some comments from non-nitpicking international travellers on the above BBC article:

Flew Ryanair to Brussels (Charleroi), only to find it was over an hour and a half's bus journey from the city! Misleading? Definitely!
Paul, UK

My girlfriend and I used Ryanair to fly to Verona for a weekend last December. We flew out of Stansted for Brescia-Verona airport, only to find out that the airport was 70km or so away from Verona. The taxi driver charged us 100 Euros for the fare, my girlfriend was in tears (as we were on a budget and this was a considerable chunk out of it). Faced with the same fare on our return, we had to get a train from Verona back to Brescia, instead of paying another 100 euros. When we brought this up at the Ryanair desk, they told us we should have checked before we left, and no one else had complained. Disgusted is the cleanest description I have of the whole experience.
Marcus Doyle, UK

I think companies should be forced to be honest. The main airport at Frankfurt has an excellent public transportation system yet Frankfurt Hahn is at least an extra hour from the centre - this would make a difference to my choice of airline. I would like to see companies compelled to give information on airport locations at the time of booking and in their adverts. Then people can make an informed judgement on whether to travel with a particular carrier.
Richard, Ingelheim, Germany

I think the airline has an obligation to be more specific regarding the exact location of the airport - it is sometimes very frustrating to find out that the airport you have chosen to fly to is nowhere near your intended destination and trying to get hold of these details is sometimes impossible or at least, very complicated. Airlines, budget or otherwise, should be more specific on their destinations and allow customers to make an informed choice.
Niall Clarke, United Kingdom

You get what you pay for. You want to fly to Brussels, take a proper airline, want to go via Charleroi, half of Belgium away, take a cheapo one.
Phillip Souta, UK

travellover

Post by travellover »

Passenger wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 18:01
CRL being mostly a passenger airport and handling very few cargo/fret, I precised ''second passenger airport of Brussels shared with the Charleroi region.'' Considering both metropolitan catchment areas 😉.
Cheers

MathijsH

Post by MathijsH »

Passenger wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 20:13
convair wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 19:57 Maybe because they believe international travellers will be less nitpicking than the locals... :)
Sure. Here are some comments from non-nitpicking international travellers on the above BBC article:

Flew Ryanair to Brussels (Charleroi), only to find it was over an hour and a half's bus journey from the city! Misleading? Definitely!
Paul, UK

My girlfriend and I used Ryanair to fly to Verona for a weekend last December. We flew out of Stansted for Brescia-Verona airport, only to find out that the airport was 70km or so away from Verona. The taxi driver charged us 100 Euros for the fare, my girlfriend was in tears (as we were on a budget and this was a considerable chunk out of it). Faced with the same fare on our return, we had to get a train from Verona back to Brescia, instead of paying another 100 euros. When we brought this up at the Ryanair desk, they told us we should have checked before we left, and no one else had complained. Disgusted is the cleanest description I have of the whole experience.
Marcus Doyle, UK

I think companies should be forced to be honest. The main airport at Frankfurt has an excellent public transportation system yet Frankfurt Hahn is at least an extra hour from the centre - this would make a difference to my choice of airline. I would like to see companies compelled to give information on airport locations at the time of booking and in their adverts. Then people can make an informed judgement on whether to travel with a particular carrier.

I think the airline has an obligation to be more specific regarding the exact location of the airport - it is sometimes very frustrating to find out that the airport you have chosen to fly to is nowhere near your intended destination and trying to get hold of these details is sometimes impossible or at least, very complicated. Airlines, budget or otherwise, should be more specific on their destinations and allow customers to make an informed choice.

You get what you pay for. You want to fly to Brussels, take a proper airline, want to go via Charleroi, half of Belgium away, take a cheapo one.
Phillip Souta, UK
If you're a bit used to travelling, you verify where you're going to land, verify if there's public transportation or a scheduled bus service, and so on. Especially if you're on a budget (like the second one), you're not going to take a taxi.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Anyway it's normal they use Brussels if they use images or to advertise....
Nobody is going to Charleroi or to Newark etc....I don't see the problem here!

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Can I just say: the website of Air Belgium is looking really good. Better than the Brussels Airlines website, imo.

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Passenger wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 20:13

Paul, UK

Marcus Doyle, UK

Phillip Souta, UK
Are you a moderator on this forum?
If so stop the negativity and the demonstration on how CRL is bad...that's first unfair and biased information....Why do you always bring bad exemple from other people, why no compliments from passengers and there are some by the way.
I flew crl- fin last week and it was just perfect 5 minutes check-in and a walk to the gate....
Stop spitting on other people face.