Ryanair in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boeing767copilot

Re: Ryanair in 2018

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Passenger wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 11:13 Aviation24.be, yesterday afternoon: "Ryanair to cut Dublin based fleet by 20% from 30 to 24 for Winter 2018, 100 pilots and 200 cabin crew made redundant":
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/ryana ... redundant/

Reply from the trade unions, a few hours later: "Dublin-based Ryanair pilots to strike on 3 August":
https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0 ... blin-cuts/

This strike announcement is once again a proof that the dispute is not about "better salaries and better working conditions": it's just power play from management versus trade unions. And sadly, once again with passengers used as gunpowder.
Fully agree with you @Passenger

DIBO

Post by DIBO »

Passenger wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 11:13it's just power play from management versus trade unions.
and for many years it was just power play from management. Period.
Passenger wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 11:13And sadly, once again with passengers used as gunpowder.
indeed very sad for the impacted passengers, but I couldn't care less, just the same that I couldn't care less if someone chokes in his Chiq* banana or gets a skin rash from his Prim* clothes. In all cases employees have been maltreated; luckily in the R. context there are only adults involved and nobody died in the 'line of duty'.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

luchtzak wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 00:36 Image
And this is not a lay 😉

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Don’t forget to opt in “aircraft” when booking your flight 😜
B21EA599-8303-4207-B204-AA4AE0E1B132.jpeg

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

There seems to be a chain-reaction of industrial actions going on right now as today Ryanair pilots working in Germany have nearly unanimously voted for industrial actions.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/ryana ... l-actions/

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Any industrial action will be announced at least 24 hours ahead of time to give the travelling public time to make other arrangements.
Are the unions really that unworldly (wereldvreemd)??? Do they really think that passengers can amend all their travel arrangements in just 24 hours, keeping in mind that Ryanair is unwilling to assist passengers with a decent rerouting?

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Passenger wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 16:27
Any industrial action will be announced at least 24 hours ahead of time to give the travelling public time to make other arrangements.
Are the unions really that unworldly (wereldvreemd)??? Do they really think that passengers can amend all their travel arrangements in just 24 hours, keeping in mind that Ryanair is unwilling to assist passengers with a decent rerouting?
Nothing new there, the passenger is willing to take the risk off being left to his own devices when something goes wrong. It's not the first time Ryanair is being shamed for not handling complaints in a decent manner.

I'm going to repeat myself: a free meal does not exist. There will always be a cost behind that dirt cheap ticket. In this case it's disrespect for social laws and a lot of unpaid work. I'm more surprised they kept their cool for that long.

Bapt'

Post by Bapt' »

flightlover wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 23:28 Nothing new there, the passenger is willing to take the risk off being left to his own devices when something goes wrong. It's not the first time Ryanair is being shamed for not handling complaints in a decent manner.

I'm going to repeat myself: a free meal does not exist. There will always be a cost behind that dirt cheap ticket. In this case it's disrespect for social laws and a lot of unpaid work. I'm more surprised they kept their cool for that long.
I would say the passenger handling does not depend on the ticket price but on the company... I bought a ticket CPH-BRU for 29€ (1€ for the flight + 28€ taxes) with SN, it has been canceled due to snow in BRU, I have been rebooked on the next flight and spent the night in a 5* hotel with meal included. This would not happen with Ryanair even if you paid 200€ for the ticket :roll:

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Ryanair aircraft from Barcelona to Ibiza evacuated after power bank fire: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/ryan ... initiated/

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

luchtzak wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 02:47 Ryanair aircraft from Barcelona to Ibiza evacuated after power bank fire: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/ryan ... initiated/
A newspaper is reporting that one of the passengers opened the emergency slide and he added: "before the pilot could open it."

I thought flight attendants were the ones to open emergency exits?
An exploding cell phone led to an Ryanair flight to be evacuated in Spain.

The flight was on the ground at Barcelona Airport when a phone that was being charged with an external battery caught fire.

A passenger who had a front row seat to all the drama said he was the one who started the evacuation: “We were just over 100 feet away from the docking bay when the device exploded and smoke began to come out. Fortunately I was in the first row and I opened the emergency door before the pilot activated the chute.”

What the passenger failed to realize is crew are trained to fight and contain such small fires and starting the evacuation via the emergency slides could have resulted in far more serious injuries. Ironically, the only burns sustained in the fire were caused by passengers using the slides

The fire was so minor, the fire department was not called to the aircraft.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Belgian Cockpit Association press release - 1 August 2018

Throughout Europe, Ryanair staff is organizing in order to put forth their legitimate demands, i.e. the establishment of a true social dialogue and the application of local labor legislations. This discontent led to a series of large scale protest actions and strikes in several European countries (Ireland, Portugal, Italy, Spain and Belgium).

In Dublin, in retaliation to the three strike days organized in July, Ryanair announced on 25 July that they would delocalize to Poland 100 pilots and 200 cabin crewmembers, threatening them from being dismissed in case they refuse. In response, Irish pilots announced a fourth day of strike, on 3 August 2018.

In Belgium, last 18 July, Ryanair’s management broke the promises that were made several months ago and flatly refused the application of Belgian labor law. The refusal to apply local labor laws was one of the main reasons that led cabin crewmembers in Portugal, Spain, Italy and Belgium to go on strike on 25 and 26 July.
Since then, Ryanair has been running a campaign of intimidation targeted at some of the crewmembers who participated in these actions.

These practices are unacceptable and go against the right to strike, which is a fundamental right guaranteed by all international conventions.
Ryanair’s model must change. Since last fall and the cancelation of a great number of flights because of a pilot shortage untilthis summer’s strikes, the model Mr. O’Leary has been so proud of has clearly demonstrated its limits.

For all these reasons, BeCA and CNE/LBC-NVK call all Ryanair pilots based in Belgium to support their Irish colleagues and to join the strike action that will take place on 10 August to demand:

The cancelation of notices of delocalizing/dismissal sent to the flying crew based in Dublin
The withdrawal of threats against crewmembers
The application of national legislations
The establishment of a true dialogue social
We also call national and European authorities to finally take their responsibilities and condemn Ryanair’s practices.

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

luchtzak wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 14:54 I thought flight attendants were the ones to open emergency exits?
Definitely. Unless a pilot physically steps out of the cockpit and opens the door himself.
Then again, I’ll never accuse any media outlet of having a good working knowledge of anything concerning aviation.
Thomas

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

luchtzak wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 15:16 Belgian Cockpit Association press release - 1 August 2018
"...Throughout Europe, Ryanair staff is organizing in order to put forth their legitimate demands, i.e. the establishment of a true social dialogue and the application of local labor legislations...
...We also call national and European authorities to finally take their responsibilities and condemn Ryanair’s practices
..."

I agree with them. The European authorities should indeed condemn Ryanair practises like their refusal to offer decent reroutings to stranded passengers, their refusal to pay hotel costs for stranded passengers ànd their refusal to pay the legal indemnity as per EU-Regulation 261/2004.

And the European authorities should also condemn the trade unions for using passengers as gunpowder in their internal battle with Ryanair's management.

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Passenger wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 18:22 And the European authorities should also condemn the trade unions for using passengers as gunpowder in their internal battle with Ryanair's management.
Wet van 11.07.1990 houdende goedkeuring van het Europees Sociaal Handvest en van de Bijlage, opgemaakt te Turijn op 18 oktober 1961

Striking is a fundamental right in Europe and per definition it will affect the customers of the company. It is the shared responsibility of employers and employees to avoid a strike as it is generally regarded as a measure of last resort. Unfortunately, Ryanair in it's growth has been allowed to operate beyond the legal boundaries of a normal employer-employee relationship. This was feasable as long as the practise was small enough. But at the current scale of Ryanair, it becomes widespread and one should dare to ask the fundamental question whether you want our entire economic landscape to evolve towards the model of Ryanair, ie. one that is based on bargaining power of the employer.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Another proposal for a useless meeting in order to damp an impending strike?
IMG_20180801_211736.jpg
André
ex Sabena #26567

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

M’OL must be hanging on just be a thread by now :?:

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

The day that Ryanair follow the rules, kicks out MOL and become another airliner will be the day that FR will shrink and another FR will stand up....
People don't care or better not enough people care in thé end they just want a bottum cheap ticket and do thus the stakeholders ....

Don't expect much ,....

Some planes switching BASE and they will return after because the pax fly from Sweden,Ireland,Belgium,Italy...
Not everyone lives in Poland ..

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Yesterday's FR-6465 Zadar-Charleroi was scheduled 13h10-15h10, with EI-DHB.

Press report: when passengers were about to board, the flight was delayed. No information was given, except for kind of "we don't have news". The flight left at 01h28 at night, with arrival at CRL at 02h58.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-dhb

The newspaper reports that rumours are that it was a wildcat strike.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Passenger wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 10:05 Yesterday's FR-6465 Zadar-Charleroi was scheduled 13h10-15h10, with EI-DHB.

[..]

The newspaper reports that rumours are that it was a wildcat strike.
Methinks that if it were a wildcat strike by a Belgian crew it would have taken place at CRL rather than a remote location like Zadar :roll:
André
ex Sabena #26567