Brussels Airlines in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

convair

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by convair »

crew1990 wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 23:55 Africa will grow, but LH CEO can't divulge the plan yet.
America is not performing well (this is true) so not grow at the moment
Asia (BOM) is not yes profitable YET (he insisted in the yet).
Danger for IAD and YYZ then, and maybe even for JFK in the coming summer season. :(

JustPlanes

Post by JustPlanes »

crew1990 wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 23:55 America is not performing well (this is true) so not grow at the moment
How could America perform well if there are no interesting options or routes!

JFK
DL/UA each operate a flight on the same route around the same time... both offer tons of connections!
SN operate again around the same time into JFK... and they codeshare partner UA doesn't even fly from there

IAD
There is no need for 2 airlines on this route and the best proof is that its only seasonal for SN.
Instead of wasting your time there why not pick another destination with no competition.
DEN would be a great choice, it isn't over-served from Europe and tons of connections on UA!! Now there is a route that could operate year round and offer great connections for example to the entire West Coast.
Also DEN is about 19 hours of air time roundtrip allowing it to fit in a 24hr rotation which the West Coast does not...
I don't think that there is a big African market from Denver but the other big airline to Africa such as AF, KL, TK do not serve Denver (yet) while they all serve the West Coast.

LH knows first hand that DEN does well even for an airline that has plenty of West Coast service.
They started FRA and are now serving it with a 747 and then they added MUC in 2015 and thats a 600.

Anyway I'm wasting my time with these posts... Instead of trying some original things that could become big successes they prefer to stick to things they think will be easy successes such as JFK/IAD and they're obviously failures...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I read this morning that SN will eventually have 20 long-haul aircraft: the 10 current ones based in BRU, 7 flying for EW in DUS and (this is new) 3 based in MUC, also for EW. DUS will start next summer season with 4 aircraft.
André
ex Sabena #26567

BAAV

Post by BAAV »

Given that some (or all?) of these are A340 and that Africa is a growth market for lh, wouldn't it make sense to have some SN (Eurowings?) flights from BRU with those planes to Southern Africa? I am thinking of Jo'burg, Mauritius to name a few. Surely there is a Belgian market for these type of (tourist) destinations. I am aware that other LH entities fly to those destinations as well but given that LH is stating that SN is point to point then with this logic flights from BRU make even more sense... what am I missing here?

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

Seen in a street of Beirut suburbs on Jan. 2nd of this year...
IMG_2371.JPG

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

brabel wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 19:32

I read in an article on de Morgen that the CEO of Eurowings said they were not going to expand long haul flights from BRU anytime soon.
So they're gonna have a "Long Haul Centre of Excellence".... but they're already saying they're not gonna have 1 single new long haul flight from BRU...

Oh my... looks like this 'centre of excellence' is a joke.

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

SN should start flights to ORY
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

BrightCedars wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 14:26 Makes sense to drop the pairing of FIH and start paring the other cities that used to be paired with FIH.
Bummer is the drop in frequency which is still a really negative point for business travellers.
Maybe they should fly BRU-DUS-FIH 3 days per week :-)

Wonder about this news today of trying to lure SQ back to BRU. They sure have metal that could make a difference from over 10 years ago. However there's also more competition with BKK, HKG and many other Asian destinations covered via AUH, DOH and DXB.

Still SEL and SIN are two gaps in Asia as far as Star Alliance and BRU are concerned. It would be nice to see SQ and OZ metal back in town!
The possibility of having SQ back on the tarmac of BRU is high. There was now a "small trade mission" of Belgium to Singapore. The minister and the CEO of BRU Arnaud Feist were there to speak directly with SQ about a direct flight connection between SIN and BRU.
They are with SQ already in contact for quite some while

gumblebee

Post by gumblebee »

convair wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 15:40
chrisflyer wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 12:52 Looks like Lufthansa Group registered the brand name Belgianwings already a long time ago. If SN is going to become an integral part of the EW Group, but will retain a distinct Belgian identity, Belgianwings makes a lot of sense. They could even keep the iconic b-tail.
See the entry in the European patent register:
https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#detail ... /004323011
Belgianwings isn't too bad if the name Brussels Airlines must disappear. However, in many parts of the world, Brussels is better known than Belgium; so, it could as well be Brusselswings.

Anyway, I think EW HQ better keep the current name for a while and make a few marketing surveys before going for any change.
A more logical name would of course be Swings, with the S-tail.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Nice info on SQ, but this topic is about SN, so unless a code share is in the pipeline, stay on topic!

Thanks!!!!

Stij

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Ansett wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 13:34
Boavida wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 11:15
brabel wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 19:32

I read in an article on de Morgen that the CEO of Eurowings said they were not going to expand long haul flights from BRU anytime soon.
So they're gonna have a "Long Haul Centre of Excellence".... but they're already saying they're not gonna have 1 single new long haul flight from BRU...

Oh my... looks like this 'centre of excellence' is a joke.
You are right. This is rather puzzling. Next question to ask TD : please, define the mission of this Long Haul Center of Excellence. Is it perhaps only a smokescreen ?
It means the longhaul flights will be excellent. :lol:

Must be a smokescreen indeed. What I foresee in the near future is that shorhaul flights from BRU will become EuroWings, and then the reaction to critics will be "but BRU still has the longhaul centre of excellence". :roll:

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

I tend to be a bit pessimistic over the BOM route "success".

The loads are playing yo-yo... This night's flight from BOM to BRU will barely board 90 pax, and I can quote many many flights that departed with such loads either from BRU or BOM. EK has really been offensive on the O&D India/Belgium market...

As to LH/SN/EW: look at the slides of Wednesday and you clearly see a split between Lufthansa Group (LH/LX/OS) and "Eurowings Group" which SN is supposed and set to belong to. The rest is a PR smoke screen for mainstream journalists.

If we anticipate one N.A flights to be terminated + BOM, then 10 A330s for the current JFK/AFI network + some new AFI routes (LOS, LBV, Abuja...) and extra frequencies --> it makes sense.

By the way, what happened with the FIH service is a big setback for SN... network&planning wise and revenue/compensation wise...

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

Darjeeling wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 18:15 I tend to be a bit pessimistic over the BOM route "success".

The loads are playing yo-yo... This night's flight from BOM to BRU will barely board 90 pax, and I can quote many many flights that departed with such loads either from BRU or BOM. EK has really been offensive on the O&D India/Belgium market...
In december SN said he had transported to Asia, so Bombay, 10,338 passengers. There were 6 flights / week. No flight on Tuesday, so no flight on December 5,12,19 and 26. 27 flights, 54 return trips. That's 191.44 passengers / flight. Unable to tell if it's good or not but it's more than 90.

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

I flew in november from BOM to BRU and there were a lot more than 90 pax on board.
Sometimes C class if full while economy is not full and a lot of cargo on board but if this is enough?

Brussels Airlines will use one of its new additions to the fleet between 29/06/18 and 14/07/18 for some extra flights to Africa.
We will see extra flights to KGL/EBB,FIH will be direct on day 5 and DLA will be combined with NSI iso FIH.
Best regards,

Airbuske

convair

Post by convair »

nordikcam wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 18:35
Darjeeling wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 18:15 I tend to be a bit pessimistic over the BOM route "success".

In december SN said he had transported to Asia, so Bombay, 10,338 passengers. There were 6 flights / week. No flight on Tuesday, so no flight on December 5,12,19 and 26. 27 flights, 54 return trips. That's 191.44 passengers / flight. Unable to tell if it's good or not but it's more than 90.
Lowest month was October with 171 pax/flight.

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

So finally : rebranding or not ?!

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

no

Boavida

Post by Boavida »

Interesting article in De Tijd today: the PM is 'putting some pressure' at LH to preserve Brussels Airlines and its short and long haul flights out of BRU. He will have a meeting with the CEO of LH, EW and SN in the coming days.

The article states that he is not powerless: he has the time slots at BRU and the negotiated flying rights to Africa, India as usable 'arguments'.

In English: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufth ... -airlines/

Full article (Dutch): https://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaa ... 80707.html

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

airbuske wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 19:35Brussels Airlines will use one of its new additions to the fleet between 29/06/18 and 14/07/18 for some extra flights to Africa.
I see extra production from mid june to end of september (one of the new A330), mainly africa and possibly also world cup flights?

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Brussels Airlines January 2018 traffic figures, a growth of 15% compared to January 2017.