Brussels Airlines in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by sn26567 »

SabenaForever wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 12:00
sn26567 wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 11:32 Brussels Airlines invests further in its Africa network, and axes Mumbai (which should be reached via FRA, MUC or ZRH with LH and LX, so decides the boss! One less intercontinental destination for BRU).

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... es-mumbai/
So Lufthansa is doing is job in BRU... Axes Mumbai.. i can not believe that a direct flight to India will not work, with the large Indian community and the Diamant sector. Business people don’t want to fly 1stop... i see a lot of passengers go to India via AMS. And sorry again No new destination to Africa.
My statement might have been premature. I talked to Frédéric Paepe, the SN Director of Flight Operations this afternoon. LH didn't decide anything. SN took the decision independently: the BOM route has never been profitable.

On the other hand, Paepe said that the three North American destinations (IAD, JFK, YYZ) are faring well.
André
ex Sabena #26567

brabel

Post by brabel »

sn26567 wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 18:56 On the other hand, Paepe said that the three North American destinations (IAD, JFK, YYZ) are faring well.
So IAD year round then? :)

convair

Post by convair »

Contrary to what their PR is saying, there is no change for the Dakar pax: the daily flight is already non-stop in both directions. The only change is that there will be 3 flights/week with no further destination (Banjul), adding some capacity on the route. I guess the Conakry flights will become an extension of the 3 new Banjul flights then.
That makes 3 new flights replacing the 5 Mumbai flights. As said above, no other frequency increase and no new Afi destination announced.

On the short-haul, the total addition (compared to last winter season I suppose) is 2 flights a day. As they say in the US: nothing to write home about.
But, granted, this follows a big expansion with the Thomas Cook agreement.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

convair wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 22:37 Contrary to what their PR is saying, there is no change for the Dakar pax: the daily flight is already non-stop in both directions. The only change is that there will be 3 flights/week with no further destination (Banjul), adding some capacity on the route. I guess the Conakry flights will become an extension of the 3 new Banjul flights then.
That makes 3 new flights replacing the 5 Mumbai flights. As said above, no other frequency increase and no new Afi destination announced.

On the short-haul, the total addition (compared to last winter season I suppose) is 2 flights a day. As they say in the US: nothing to write home about.
Funny. You are contradicting these facts and figures:
and
https://press.brusselsairlines.com/brus ... a-network#

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Passenger wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 22:55
convair wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 22:37 Contrary to what their PR is saying, there is no change for the Dakar pax: the daily flight is already non-stop in both directions. The only change is that there will be 3 flights/week with no further destination (Banjul), adding some capacity on the route. I guess the Conakry flights will become an extension of the 3 new Banjul flights then.

Funny. You are contradicting these facts and figures:
and
https://press.brusselsairlines.com/brus ... a-network#
These are triangular flights isn't it?!?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

Indeed, beware, because Brussels Airlines communication departement is so strong at PR stunts they can issue sooner or later a press release because they add another frequency to Las Palmas or Rhodos and NON-STOP !!! :lol: :lol: :roll:

They cannot be serious... really... DKR or DSS have always been non-stop both ways since 2002. Although sometimes operated via CMN with the A319 when the Kings of Africa had to deal with two or three AOG of their A330 at the same time.

As to BOM: what I always predicted. Sometimes the flight was almost full, sometimes only 40 pax per flight for weeks, without saying hey often accommodated LH/OS/LX overbooked pax. But all in all lots of VFR traffic, thus low-yielding. And LX/LH funneling most of the high-yield J/C/W corporate pax. The forward bookings were not good for Q4 2018 / Q1 2019. :|

As we speak/write, JFK/YYZ and IAD will remain in SN's network.

b.lufthansa

Post by b.lufthansa »

More important news! “Big brother” Betty has left the building...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

b.lufthansa wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 18:13 More important news! “Big brother” Betty has left the building...
"Big sister" ?
André
ex Sabena #26567

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

sn26567 wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 18:51
b.lufthansa wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 18:13 More important news! “Big brother” Betty has left the building...
"Big sister" ?
At the risk of sounding stupid, I do not understand ... does anyone have a decoder?

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

lumumba wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 17:40
Inquirer wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 15:41 Ironspan,
I know exactly the feeling!
Flying from DUS myself quite a lot these days: a little bit more miles, but exactly the same time loss, with the added benefit that it's much cheaper too (tickets as well as car park).
Looking at how people at my work fly, BRU seems to attract its customers predominantly from just the north and west of our country as they don't have a good alternative: everybody in the east has several good alternatives right across the Belgian border while I think much of the (leisure) market in the south is scooped empty by the airlines flying from CRL?
What does this say about BRU: it's the airport of choice of nobody in Belgium?!? :oops:
Time to do something about it I'd say and no, people aren't waiting for even more shops!
New and cheaper car parks, smooth public transport access from downtown Brussels and other cities in Belgium, faster ground processes and much lower user fees and taxes are urgently needed to turn BRU from a very high yielding equity investment for its institutional shareholders into a customer oriented user friendly airport again.
( sorry for gong off topic )
You can't just growing in Africa the pax needs to travel further most of the time.
If you cut the US flights you will lose a lot of transit pax.
You can not compete with other airports if you can not offer connectivity!!!!
On AF from Luanda for example you have a lot of transit pax to the U.S.(Houston) and Moscow non of the two are possible with Brussels Airlines!
But with Lufhansa you can and there are bigger than Brussels Airlines in Luanda after only a couple of years.
If you now that Brussels is in Luanda for more than 30 years and they did not grow ....they even fly with smaller planes in the past they use to fly with 747s(SABENA)
Since A++ it doesn't really matter who is flying a route since profits are shared anyways... If LH deems it necesary to take away tatl capacity in order to expand Africa or because it would burn (too much) money, either UA could take over the route or LH could funnel it through its own hubs FRA, MUC, VIE, ZRH,...(LH's favorite option)

JustPlanes

Post by JustPlanes »

I think it honestly makes no sense to try to compete on the Asian market with just 1 route and not even every day... thats a waste.... certainly makes more sense to expand Africa and hopefully at some point North America... Personally I would have tried to make a deal with Air India that would allowed the route to remain and offered a code share to India... but I think all these decisions are made to help LH out anyway and not SN...

b720

Post by b720 »

JustPlanes wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 00:49 I think it honestly makes no sense to try to compete on the Asian market with just 1 route and not even every day... thats a waste.... certainly makes more sense to expand Africa and hopefully at some point North America... Personally I would have tried to make a deal with Air India that would allowed the route to remain and offered a code share to India... but I think all these decisions are made to help LH out anyway and not SN...
If I am not misstaken SN increased the service to BOM.
At a certain point that destination was flown 6 X week.
It must have been doing well.

Duke

Post by Duke »

nordikcam wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 18:56
sn26567 wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 18:51
"Big sister" ?
At the risk of sounding stupid, I do not understand ... does anyone have a decoder?
I don't understand either.
I know a lot of you are working for Brussels Airlines or the airport, but please use different channels to spread this kind of information that can only be understood by insiders.... Thanks,

Duke

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

It has nothing to do with insider knowledge. Big Brother is/was a reality show. One of the participants, Betty, started working as a flight attendant for Brussels Airlines earlier this year, this has gained widespread attention in the (mainly Flemish) media.

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

DeltaWiskey wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 12:53 It has nothing to do with insider knowledge. Big Brother is/was a reality show. One of the participants, Betty, started working as a flight attendant for Brussels Airlines earlier this year, this has gained widespread attention in the (mainly Flemish) media.
So everyone can understand it easily... provided they read Flemish media. Well, Flemish yellow press, that is.This excludes just some people here... or quite everyone of us non Flemish-speakers. Just sayin'... ;)
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

sn26567 wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 18:56
On the other hand, Paepe said that the three North American destinations (IAD, JFK, YYZ) are faring well.
strange because recently it was said by the CEO of SN and EW that the north american destinations were not doing well...
what to believe?

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

It has nothing to do with insider knowledge. Big Brother is/was a reality show. One of the participants, Betty, started working as a flight attendant for Brussels Airlines earlier this year, this has gained widespread attention in the (mainly Flemish) media.
Hm. Better in the "trivia" thread, then? I too was mystified, very much.

Vic Diesel

Post by Vic Diesel »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 13:55
Hm. Better in the "trivia" thread, then? I too was mystified, very much.
Couldn't agree more!
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, Brussels-based)

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

It's quite normal that Betsy joined the conversation. This whole topic has become Big Brother content. Gossip, rumours, slander, mud throwing to one German boss. Decisions made because of economical necessity are presented as betrayal.

With more passengers for Brussels Airlines, the overhead costs can be split over more passengers. And this means more nett profit at the end. That's why Lufthansa needs that Brussels Airlines is/becomes/remains a solid airline.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

With effect from 29 March 2019, KLM will therefore stop flying to Freetown in Sierra Leone and Monrovia in Liberia. And will start flying to Las Vegas from June 2019.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air- ... june-2019/