Brussels Airlines in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boavida

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by Boavida »

My dream scenario: name change to Sabena for all African (and other intercontinental destinations) + several business routes within Europe. Eurowings for all the rest (mostly leisure European destinations).

I mean come on. Brussels is after Washington DC the biggest diplomatic city in the world. You can't just replace the home carrier with a lowcost airline...!

Av24.be

Post by Av24.be »

From the Lufthansa Group press release: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... -for-2019/

Brussels Airlines' financial figures are now included into the Eurowings figures.

Eurowings

Eurowings reports an Adjusted EBIT of EUR -65 million for the first nine months of 2018. The EUR 210 million decline on the prior-year period is attributable in particular to a non-recurring expense of EUR 170 million for completing the integration of parts of the former Air Berlin, and to additional costs incurred as a result of flight delays and cancellations.

“In 2017 we seized a historic opportunity in the consolidation of Europe’s aviation sector,” comments Carsten Spohr. “And it was the right decision to do so in strategic terms, even if this has given Eurowings a very challenging 2018. We view the one-off costs of integrating these operations and of our rapid expansion as a long-term investment that will help sustainably strengthen our market position.”

convair

Post by convair »

Av24.be wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 14:25 From the Lufthansa Group press release: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... -for-2019/

Brussels Airlines' financial figures are now included into the Eurowings figures.

Eurowings

Eurowings reports an Adjusted EBIT of EUR -65 million for the first nine months of 2018. The EUR 210 million decline on the prior-year period is attributable in particular to a non-recurring expense of EUR 170 million for completing the integration of parts of the former Air Berlin, and to additional costs incurred as a result of flight delays and cancellations.

“In 2017 we seized a historic opportunity in the consolidation of Europe’s aviation sector,” comments Carsten Spohr. “And it was the right decision to do so in strategic terms, even if this has given Eurowings a very challenging 2018. We view the one-off costs of integrating these operations and of our rapid expansion as a long-term investment that will help sustainably strengthen our market position.”
No more traffic figures, no more financial figures: it's now clear that Brussels Airlines no longer exists, except as a legal entity! And maybe soon as an empty shell?

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis »

I landed from Addis and saw an EW a330. Is this one to be painted in SN colours, or it goes to DUS too ?

pitrixplanespotting

Post by pitrixplanespotting »

It is OO-SFJ (here D-AIKJ). An Ex-Lufthansa A333 to be transfered to Eurowings operating on an SN-reg.

I was there yesterday, they towed him into the hangar! (nearly no heathaze :o )
DSC00331.JPG

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

while the Eurowings (SN) A340 left JFK with delay this morning a A330 landed with one engine at BRU coming from FIH

complete news article in dutch on HLN
https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenland/vl ... ~a2f85610/

and OO-SNC appears to be in TLV still as the return was cancelled yesterday
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/oo-snc
Citybird
The flying dream

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Looks it's a radar problem with OO-SNC...
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

CTBke wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 14:07 while the Eurowings (SN) A340 left JFK with delay this morning a A330 landed with one engine at BRU coming from FIH
with resulting domino affect :
SN601 to BOM today, was planned on 03NOV to be operated by SFU. Yesterday she was substituted by Tango, later by Zulu, then back again to Tango.
In the late evening of yesterday the flight was cancelled.

Good anticipation as a few hours later SFZ was limited to local ops around Hangar 41 for the coming hours/days due to one engine inop.
So SFT, freed from the BOM service, comes in to operate the SN357 to FIH today.
This flight was planned to be operated by SFC but the latter had to operate BRU-DLA this morning when Zulu went inop.

Good news is that SFO that was AOG in Accra since last Friday flew back this afternoon as SN1278. Hopefully she will be operating tomorrow.

Hats off to the gals and guys at SN Mx and Ops to succeed in operating most of the flights in these conditions !

Of course that are also helped by LH acquiring all these new aircraft for SN, which is only normal considering the importance for LH of the African destinations.

H.A.

b.lufthansa

Post by b.lufthansa »

lumumba wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 16:04 Looks it's a radar problem with OO-SNC...
Indeed radar, 140 passangers blocked: http://www.lalibre.be/economie/libre-en ... c91b47c6f7

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

CTBke wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 14:07 while the Eurowings (SN) A340 left JFK with delay this morning a A330 landed with one engine at BRU coming from FIH

complete news article in dutch on HLN
https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenland/vl ... ~a2f85610/
Engine 1 Stall warning:
http://avherald.com/h?article=4bfe4c32&opt=0

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Ansett wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 12:58
b.lufthansa wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 23:10
lumumba wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 16:04 Looks it's a radar problem with OO-SNC...
Indeed radar, 140 passangers blocked: http://www.lalibre.be/economie/libre-en ... c91b47c6f7
www.lalibre.be/economie/libre-entrepris ... d2f68d5457

According to this article which reports pax experience, pax were not rebooked on other airlines (including LH) which had seats available. It was total chaos.
The report in La Libre, based upon the statement from one single passenger, is contradicted by press reports from other passengers. Example: they were offered hotels and some some people were rebooked. But on a Sunday evening, it's not that easy to rebook 140-180 pax. A group of Antwerp lecturers complained they were rebooked onto different flights...

Passenger Pablo Den Doncker stated that the two people from Ground Staff at TLV didn't speak Dutch or French or English. Such remark makes it hard to believe that the rest of his story is true.

Ansett wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 12:58 Good job ! Christina.
"And now the end is near, we did it our way" by CS & CF
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in any airline with the scale of Brussels Airlines, it's not the CEO who has to solve such problems.

But then: it's all brakes loose when Brussels Airlines can be critized...

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

Passenger wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 13:30
b.lufthansa wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 23:10 Indeed radar, 140 passangers blocked: http://www.lalibre.be/economie/libre-en ... c91b47c6f7

According to this article which reports pax experience, pax were not rebooked on other airlines (including LH) which had seats available. It was total chaos.
The report in La Libre, based upon the statement from one single passenger, is contradicted by press reports from other passengers. Example: they were offered hotels and some some people were rebooked. But on a Sunday evening, it's not that easy to rebook 140-180 pax. A group of Antwerp lecturers complained they were rebooked onto different flights...

Passenger Pablo Den Doncker stated that the two people from Ground Staff at TLV didn't speak Dutch or French or English. Such remark makes it hard to believe that the rest of his story is true.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in any airline with the scale of Brussels Airlines, it's not the CEO who has to solve such problems.

very hard to believe ground staff doesn't speak English as the ground staff responsible for SN is handling the whole LH Group
Citybird
The flying dream

convair

Post by convair »

CTBke wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 13:37

very hard to believe ground staff doesn't speak English as the ground staff responsible for SN is handling the whole LH Group
It's usual to read very different reports in such cases; all pax are not treated the same way as availabilities do not make it possible.
It should be noted though that SN has apologized (cfr La Libre article quoted hereabove) for a handling that was not up to their standards.
With 2 daily flights to TLV, SN surely has a permanent manager on site; that person certainly didn't perform satisfactorily.
And, to be fair, if all passengers are back today, it is not true to state that they were blocked for 3 days!

b.lufthansa

Post by b.lufthansa »

Toxic fume incidents on two seperate aircraft: yesterday on Amare pilots landed with smokehoods on. According to VTM.

Sai

Post by Sai »

More: article on HLN.be (in dutch);
"Brussels Airlines has 2 'fume' incidents in 3 days."

Summary:
There have been two so-called 'fume' incidents at Brussels Airlines in three days. This involves heavily contaminated, toxic air from the engines in the cabin or in the cockpit. On Saturday, after the landing, the entire crew had to go to the hospital to the emergency department and yesterday, pilots had to land with their oxygen mask.
"We realize that fume events are a problem that occurs throughout the industry" the airline reacts.

Not the first time. Credits for not denying the incidents though...
But what about the passengers?

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

Ansett wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 18:15
Slightly off topic, forgive me : in July, I took an SN flight MAD BRU. At the check-in area, there was a large ckeck-in area for LH/LH/OS, which was open and not busy, and immediately adjacent two counters for SN check-in with a huge line of pax waiting to check in for a full aircraft.

Why could not the large LH/LX/OS checking area be a LH/LX/OS/SN check in area and were SN pax treated as second class clients, even when the 'elite airlines"" check-in was as good as empty with a number of check-in agents waiting for pax. Hope you see my point. Double standards. Not shooting at SN, Passenger !!!
SN still has different contracts with handlers throughout Europe, at the time the takeover by LH was 100% contracts were already renewed. Next step and logical step would be that indeed the whole LH group is at the same handling agent (would be more productive for the agents as they'll be busy al day long)
Citybird
The flying dream

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

However, the "armchair" manager that I am, finds it difficult to understand that a replacement aircraft (if no own aircraft or LH Group aircraft could have come to the rescue, a wet lease, it is not high season, as far as I know) was not available to limit the damage to the image of the airline.

I had the same thought. Why was SN not able to organize a replacement aircraft? That could have saved at least 1 hotel-night stay for the 140 passengers.. (Air Belgium? VLM-HQ? Or is that against the LH-policy?)

By coincidence I heard this afternoon a direct interview on the radio with one of the stranded passengers.
He had spent 10 hours at the TLV-airport on sunday and 11 hours yesterday. And he seemed to confirm the statements in the la Libre article.
He was still at TLV-airport (15.45 our time) but was now rebooked on a flight via Rome. He was separated from his wife and other co-travellers as they were rebooked on other flights, direct to BRU,or via Istanbul, Frankfurt and even Kiev!
I have always been a fan of SN, but in this case I have the feeling they did not act at a very high standard.
Next time better I would say...

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Seems like the sort of relationship you have with every airline besides SN.

They didnt put on a great show in this case. It happens ... as it does in any other airline.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

sean1982 wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 08:54
Passenger wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 13:30 But then: it's all brakes loose when Brussels Airlines can be critized...
Seems like the sort of relationship you have with every airline besides SN.
They didnt put on a great show in this case. It happens ... as it does in any other airline.
Indeed: Brussels Airlines failed this time. But such a failure is rare for them. And the SN-bashers (like you) never state that it's the airlines' CEO own fault when such things happen.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Passenger wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 15:58
Indeed: Brussels Airlines failed this time. But such a failure is rare for them. And the SN-bashers (like you) never state that it's the airlines' CEO own fault when such things happen.
Its funny to be called a “basher” as, when you read all of my posts, you will find both positive and negative about every airline that I wrote about. Same can’t be said about everyone .....