Brussels Airlines in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35230
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by sn26567 » 19 Sep 2018, 18:51

b.lufthansa wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 18:13
More important news! “Big brother” Betty has left the building...
"Big sister" ?
André
ex Sabena #26567

nordikcam
Posts: 914
Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 10:22
Location: Uccle

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by nordikcam » 19 Sep 2018, 18:56

sn26567 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 18:51
b.lufthansa wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 18:13
More important news! “Big brother” Betty has left the building...
"Big sister" ?
At the risk of sounding stupid, I do not understand ... does anyone have a decoder?

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1541
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by Conti764 » 19 Sep 2018, 18:57

lumumba wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 17:40
Inquirer wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 15:41
Ironspan,
I know exactly the feeling!
Flying from DUS myself quite a lot these days: a little bit more miles, but exactly the same time loss, with the added benefit that it's much cheaper too (tickets as well as car park).
Looking at how people at my work fly, BRU seems to attract its customers predominantly from just the north and west of our country as they don't have a good alternative: everybody in the east has several good alternatives right across the Belgian border while I think much of the (leisure) market in the south is scooped empty by the airlines flying from CRL?
What does this say about BRU: it's the airport of choice of nobody in Belgium?!? :oops:
Time to do something about it I'd say and no, people aren't waiting for even more shops!
New and cheaper car parks, smooth public transport access from downtown Brussels and other cities in Belgium, faster ground processes and much lower user fees and taxes are urgently needed to turn BRU from a very high yielding equity investment for its institutional shareholders into a customer oriented user friendly airport again.
( sorry for gong off topic )
You can't just growing in Africa the pax needs to travel further most of the time.
If you cut the US flights you will lose a lot of transit pax.
You can not compete with other airports if you can not offer connectivity!!!!
On AF from Luanda for example you have a lot of transit pax to the U.S.(Houston) and Moscow non of the two are possible with Brussels Airlines!
But with Lufhansa you can and there are bigger than Brussels Airlines in Luanda after only a couple of years.
If you now that Brussels is in Luanda for more than 30 years and they did not grow ....they even fly with smaller planes in the past they use to fly with 747s(SABENA)
Since A++ it doesn't really matter who is flying a route since profits are shared anyways... If LH deems it necesary to take away tatl capacity in order to expand Africa or because it would burn (too much) money, either UA could take over the route or LH could funnel it through its own hubs FRA, MUC, VIE, ZRH,...(LH's favorite option)

JustPlanes
Posts: 1107
Joined: 11 Aug 2008, 21:27
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by JustPlanes » 20 Sep 2018, 00:49

I think it honestly makes no sense to try to compete on the Asian market with just 1 route and not even every day... thats a waste.... certainly makes more sense to expand Africa and hopefully at some point North America... Personally I would have tried to make a deal with Air India that would allowed the route to remain and offered a code share to India... but I think all these decisions are made to help LH out anyway and not SN...

b720
Posts: 846
Joined: 04 May 2006, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by b720 » 20 Sep 2018, 09:40

JustPlanes wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 00:49
I think it honestly makes no sense to try to compete on the Asian market with just 1 route and not even every day... thats a waste.... certainly makes more sense to expand Africa and hopefully at some point North America... Personally I would have tried to make a deal with Air India that would allowed the route to remain and offered a code share to India... but I think all these decisions are made to help LH out anyway and not SN...
If I am not misstaken SN increased the service to BOM.
At a certain point that destination was flown 6 X week.
It must have been doing well.

Duke
Posts: 246
Joined: 08 Feb 2005, 00:00

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by Duke » 20 Sep 2018, 12:28

nordikcam wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 18:56
sn26567 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 18:51
b.lufthansa wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 18:13
More important news! “Big brother” Betty has left the building...
"Big sister" ?
At the risk of sounding stupid, I do not understand ... does anyone have a decoder?
I don't understand either.
I know a lot of you are working for Brussels Airlines or the airport, but please use different channels to spread this kind of information that can only be understood by insiders.... Thanks,

Duke

DeltaWiskey
Posts: 546
Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 18:33

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by DeltaWiskey » 20 Sep 2018, 12:53

It has nothing to do with insider knowledge. Big Brother is/was a reality show. One of the participants, Betty, started working as a flight attendant for Brussels Airlines earlier this year, this has gained widespread attention in the (mainly Flemish) media.

User avatar
Vic Diesel
Posts: 194
Joined: 06 Feb 2018, 10:10

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by Vic Diesel » 20 Sep 2018, 13:23

DeltaWiskey wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 12:53
It has nothing to do with insider knowledge. Big Brother is/was a reality show. One of the participants, Betty, started working as a flight attendant for Brussels Airlines earlier this year, this has gained widespread attention in the (mainly Flemish) media.
So everyone can understand it easily... provided they read Flemish media. Well, Flemish yellow press, that is.This excludes just some people here... or quite everyone of us non Flemish-speakers. Just sayin'... ;)
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, working in Brussels)

OO-ITR
Posts: 688
Joined: 13 Aug 2011, 18:29

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by OO-ITR » 20 Sep 2018, 13:52

sn26567 wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 18:56

On the other hand, Paepe said that the three North American destinations (IAD, JFK, YYZ) are faring well.
strange because recently it was said by the CEO of SN and EW that the north american destinations were not doing well...
what to believe?

jan_olieslagers
Posts: 2963
Joined: 24 Jun 2006, 08:34
Location: Vl.Brabant
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by jan_olieslagers » 20 Sep 2018, 13:55

It has nothing to do with insider knowledge. Big Brother is/was a reality show. One of the participants, Betty, started working as a flight attendant for Brussels Airlines earlier this year, this has gained widespread attention in the (mainly Flemish) media.
Hm. Better in the "trivia" thread, then? I too was mystified, very much.

User avatar
Vic Diesel
Posts: 194
Joined: 06 Feb 2018, 10:10

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by Vic Diesel » 20 Sep 2018, 14:02

jan_olieslagers wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 13:55
It has nothing to do with insider knowledge. Big Brother is/was a reality show. One of the participants, Betty, started working as a flight attendant for Brussels Airlines earlier this year, this has gained widespread attention in the (mainly Flemish) media.
Hm. Better in the "trivia" thread, then? I too was mystified, very much.
Couldn't agree more!
Best regards,
Viktor

(Budapest-born, Vienna-raised, working in Brussels)

Passenger
Posts: 6207
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by Passenger » 20 Sep 2018, 14:59

It's quite normal that Betsy joined the conversation. This whole topic has become Big Brother content. Gossip, rumours, slander, mud throwing to one German boss. Decisions made because of economical necessity are presented as betrayal.

With more passengers for Brussels Airlines, the overhead costs can be split over more passengers. And this means more nett profit at the end. That's why Lufthansa needs that Brussels Airlines is/becomes/remains a solid airline.

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 11240
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by luchtzak » 21 Sep 2018, 11:30

With effect from 29 March 2019, KLM will therefore stop flying to Freetown in Sierra Leone and Monrovia in Liberia. And will start flying to Las Vegas from June 2019.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/air- ... june-2019/

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35230
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by sn26567 » 21 Sep 2018, 12:22

luchtzak wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 11:30
With effect from 29 March 2019, KLM will therefore stop flying to Freetown in Sierra Leone and Monrovia in Liberia. And will start flying to Las Vegas from June 2019.
Err..., this is a thread on Brussels Airlines :?
André
ex Sabena #26567

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 11240
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by luchtzak » 21 Sep 2018, 12:34

sn26567 wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 12:22
luchtzak wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 11:30
With effect from 29 March 2019, KLM will therefore stop flying to Freetown in Sierra Leone and Monrovia in Liberia. And will start flying to Las Vegas from June 2019.
Err..., this is a thread on Brussels Airlines :?
Yes, but Brussels Airlines flies to Freetown and Monrovia.

User avatar
lumumba
Posts: 1578
Joined: 04 Sep 2003, 00:00
Location: brussels Europe

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by lumumba » 21 Sep 2018, 14:53

One battle the Brussels Airlines won now let's take Kigali back also!!!!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

nordikcam
Posts: 914
Joined: 24 Aug 2008, 10:22
Location: Uccle

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by nordikcam » 21 Sep 2018, 15:00

lumumba wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 14:53
One battle the Brussels Airlines won now let's take Kigali back also!!!!
+1 ;)

User avatar
travellover
Posts: 287
Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 00:14
Location: plane heaven
Contact:

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by travellover » 21 Sep 2018, 15:27

Beside their market in Entebbe, Kigali and Bujumbura, another battle to win for SN should be to come back to Nairobi ASAP (2019-2020 ?). If the LH group makes the decision. Not that obvious...
After a long absence, LH (autumn 2015 after 16 years) and ... AF (spring 2018 after 18 years) are back in NBO.
SN as left NBO since winter 2015/2016 :? !
LH + LX. Where is SN in autumn 2018 ?
AF + KL + KQ are developing the same strategy together with their N/A partner DL.
NBO is the main east african growing hub and market beside of ADD for both PAX and Cargo.

Any ideas of what could happen?🤔
Cheers


Ansett
Posts: 377
Joined: 13 Apr 2016, 19:12

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by Ansett » 22 Sep 2018, 00:16

sn26567 wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 12:22
luchtzak wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 11:30
With effect from 29 March 2019, KLM will therefore stop flying to Freetown in Sierra Leone and Monrovia in Liberia. And will start flying to Las Vegas from June 2019.
Err..., this is a thread on Brussels Airlines :?

Means less competition for SN ;)

Post Reply