Brussels Airlines in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by sn26567 » 14 Aug 2018, 20:59

Passenger wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 12:51
Question Luk De Wilde: "Blijft de naam Brussels Airlines behouden?"

Answer Carsten Spohr: "...Daarover beslist de CEO van Brussels Airlines. (De Duitse Christina Foerster, red.) Voor de lange afstandsvluchten lijkt een naamsverandering minder nodig. Iedereen kent Brussels Airlines in Afrika maar niemand kent de maatschappij in Scandinavië, Madrid of elders in Europa. Zelfs niet in de VS of Azië. Eurowings moet het uithangbord worden van onze pan-Europese antwoord op lagekostenmaatschappijen als Ryanair en easyJet..."
As if the name Eurowings was better known than Brussels Airlines in Scandinavia, Madrid, USA and Asia :lol:
André
ex Sabena #26567

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 » 14 Aug 2018, 21:25

sn26567 wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 20:59
As if the name Eurowings was better known than Brussels Airlines in Scandinavia, Madrid, USA and Asia :lol:
Not so long ago I was talking to an American friend about SN and the fact that it might become Eurowings. The first thing he said to me: Eurowings, wasn't that the airline with the suicidal pilot that crashed into the mountains?

I corrected him that it was Germanwings (which is basically the same but still). So it might be somewhat known across the pont but it wasn't in a good way though.

Passenger

Post by Passenger » 14 Aug 2018, 21:33

The question was not "will the name change?", but "is it official that the name will change?". Hence I posted that Spohr has said to Luk De Wilde that it's up to the Brussels Airlines CEO to decide.

Will the (probable) gain from international markets overpass the (probable) loss on the Belgian market?

Ansett

Post by Ansett » 14 Aug 2018, 23:50

sn26567 wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 20:59
Passenger wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 12:51
Question Luk De Wilde: "Blijft de naam Brussels Airlines behouden?"

Answer Carsten Spohr: "...Daarover beslist de CEO van Brussels Airlines. (De Duitse Christina Foerster, red.) Voor de lange afstandsvluchten lijkt een naamsverandering minder nodig. Iedereen kent Brussels Airlines in Afrika maar niemand kent de maatschappij in Scandinavië, Madrid of elders in Europa. Zelfs niet in de VS of Azië. Eurowings moet het uithangbord worden van onze pan-Europese antwoord op lagekostenmaatschappijen als Ryanair en easyJet..."
The same thought crossed my mind, but this is not the only bogus argument put forward by CS when it comes to his vision of the LG Group !

Deejay

Post by Deejay » 04 Sep 2018, 14:09

M&M 25 year anniversary promotion :

earn 25 miles per euro spent with OS, LH, LX and Eurowings (!!!)....

https://25years.msp.miles-and-more.com/de/en/

Brussels absent ...

getting better and better....

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling » 05 Sep 2018, 11:40

The future ticket sales and fares integration of SN's European ops into the Eurowings pole could be speed up by the beginning of the S19 season (thus March 31st 2019).

SN's African ops under the SN brand seems to be written in the marble for the mid-future... It's less certain as far as NATL ops are concerned. Some future announcements of UA and AC about BRU will confirm this.

Big changes ahead in the pipe for 2019. That's the least we can say.

SN is definitely put aside from the "premium" pole of LH Group (LH, LX, OS).

Conti764

Post by Conti764 » 05 Sep 2018, 11:59

Darjeeling wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 11:40
The future ticket sales and fares integration of SN's European ops into the Eurowings pole could be speed up by the beginning of the S19 season (thus March 31st 2019).

SN's African ops under the SN brand seems to be written in the marble for the mid-future... It's less certain as far as NATL ops are concerned. Some future announcements of UA and AC about BRU will confirm this.

I assume UA and AC expanding BRU and SN dropping (forced to drop) JFK, IAD and YVR?

Will SN at least be allowed to expand its African ops or will they just be allowed to maintain current ops untill Germany/Switzerland/Austria secure the bilatterals to do these flights themselves?

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam » 05 Sep 2018, 12:16

Conti764 wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 11:59
Darjeeling wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 11:40

I assume UA and AC expanding BRU and SN dropping (forced to drop) JFK, IAD and YVR?

Will SN at least be allowed to expand its African ops or will they just be allowed to maintain current ops untill Germany/Switzerland/Austria secure the bilatterals to do these flights themselves?
I guess it's YYZ and not YVR ! So it would be throwing passengers into the arms of UA and AC because it would not occur to me to make a transfer @ FRA or MUC with LH. Fortunately, CDG or AMS are at your fingertips !

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis » 05 Sep 2018, 12:27

nordikcam wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 12:16
I guess it's YYZ and not YVR ! So it would be throwing passengers into the arms of UA and AC because it would not occur to me to make a transfer @ FRA or MUC with LH. Fortunately, CDG or AMS are at your fingertips !
Same for me. I dread the idea of having to change in FRA all the time.

I did so on my last BRU-TLL trip and I need to plan 2 more this week, it'll be SK again (LO is pretty horrible)

But you can already read between the lines SN will be pushed out of A++ and *A, so frequent flyers will be pushed to FRA (or AMS or CDG), and the not so frequent flyers will be proposed EW (and it sounds eww too)

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 » 05 Sep 2018, 12:52

y ezis_bis » 05 Sep 2018, 12:27
But you can already read between the lines SN will be pushed out of A++ and *A, so frequent flyers will be pushed to FRA (or AMS or CDG), and the not so frequent flyers will be proposed EW (and it sounds eww too)
But if SN would be 'pushed out' in favour of: other *A partners, transit via FRA/MUC/ZRH or the EW option,I guess other players will show up to take on the non-stop connection to JFK,IAD,YYZ, wouldn't you think so?
IMHO it would not be a smart move from LH-group to remove the current SN ops from those destinations.
Indeed,going to North-America via FRA/MUC is not really a good solution if there are other options.

ezis_bis

Post by ezis_bis » 05 Sep 2018, 13:23

FLYAIR10 wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 12:52
But if SN would be 'pushed out' in favour of: other *A partners, transit via FRA/MUC/ZRH or the EW option,I guess other players will show up to take on the non-stop connection to JFK,IAD,YYZ, wouldn't you think so?
I'm not so sure as you are.

BRU-FCO, if it turns from SN to EW, I don't think some other *A will swoop in (or even Easyjet)
BRU-BOM, it will take ages for IA to react (and yay, IA...). So LH it will be
BRU-JFK, it would be UA's *only* flight at JFK, so 1) I don't think it will happen, 2) DL already flies it, thus 3) a loss

From LH point of view it makes maybe sense, there's a massive amount of *A frequent flyers at BRU but (based on the people around me) not that many participate in Miles & More (It's just not a good program). Changing SN (*A, so all can benefit) into EW (not *A, so only benefit for M&M) might make more people switch from Eurobonus to Miles & More, though I am actually not sure this makes economical sense.

Bel33

Post by Bel33 » 05 Sep 2018, 17:01

Since a lot of weeks, this topic should be renamed ... Goodbye Brussels Airlines. In my point of view, it's just speculation and an obsession! Brussels Airlines will stay even if the name change in the future! SN is a part of Eurowings. It's a reality!
Belgian citizens are mostly low cost passengers. Swiss and German are premium. It is normal to see Brussels airlines follow its customers ... The shareholder has understood and the survival of our company, for lack of ambition of the Belgian politicians and investors will be through an integration into Eurowings.
Instead of criticizing, support the development of the Belgian anchor! The important thing is to create jobs and make our company a leader Inside Eurowings!

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers » 05 Sep 2018, 17:04

Belgian citizens are mostly low cost passengers.
That is a very crude generalisation. In fact I think Brussels has a rather high share of high yield passengers, given the many institutions (NATO, Europe, big banks, ...) who pay tickets for their staff. That's the kind of people who take a cab from the Berlaymont to the airport even if the train is faster and a lot cheaper - they simply don't care.

convair

Post by convair » 05 Sep 2018, 17:38

Deejay wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 14:09
M&M 25 year anniversary promotion :

earn 25 miles per euro spent with OS, LH, LX and Eurowings (!!!)....

https://25years.msp.miles-and-more.com/de/en/

Brussels absent ...

getting better and better....
Did anyone see or hear a reaction from an SN official to that news?

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam » 05 Sep 2018, 19:19

In "LE SOIR" of September 1 Cristina Foerster declares that SN can still grow, must still improve its profitability, that by comparing itself with other companies SN is not where it should be ... She concludes by saying " If there is nothing new today (she is speaking of new destinations for the winter) ... we have beautiful plans ".
It remains to know which ones!

Conti764

Post by Conti764 » 05 Sep 2018, 19:30

nordikcam wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 19:19
In "LE SOIR" of September 1 Cristina Foerster declares that SN can still grow, must still improve its profitability, that by comparing itself with other companies SN is not where it should be ... She concludes by saying " If there is nothing new today (she is speaking of new destinations for the winter) ... we have beautiful plans ".
It remains to know which ones!
That's what bothers me with LH...

If LH/EW would have great and beautiful plans with SN, they'd already be very open about it since good news sells. Now they choose to risk (and got) a strike by, amongst others, staying very vague and spreading nothing but mystery about SN's future and as such lay a base for rumours.

If the (ultimate) goal is to retain - with or without the brand - SN as it is today and shift some of the lower end short to medium haul flights to where they belong - Eurowings - than just say so. I think most people would understand.

Since LH stays very vague about SN, I do not expect anything good for the company.

On a smaller level - this forum - we don't hear a lot anymore of tolipanebas where he always was very optimistic about SN's future within LH. Another writing on the wall?

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam » 05 Sep 2018, 19:51

Conti764 wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 19:30
On a smaller level - this forum - we don't hear a lot anymore of tolipanebas where he always was very optimistic about SN's future within LH. Another writing on the wall?
I was just thinking about him ( Tolipanebas ). Where is he ? Some news ? :)

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers » 05 Sep 2018, 20:01

Yes, I too had been wondering for a while.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 » 05 Sep 2018, 21:07

Conti764 wrote:
The writing was already on the wall 3 years ago. Myself and others predicted most of whats happening now back then already. When doing so we we’re mocked, insulted, drowned in sarcasms and more by above forum member and other members too.

I dont know why you’re all acting so surprised?
Having said that, my heart will bleed the day tintin, margritte, amare and red devils will be overpainted by that ugly generic EW livery. Ewwww indeed

Passenger

Post by Passenger » 06 Sep 2018, 08:26

sean1982 wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 21:07
Conti764 wrote:
The writing was already on the wall 3 years ago. Myself and others predicted most of whats happening now back then already. When doing so we we’re mocked, insulted, drowned in sarcasms and more by above forum member and other members too.
What a pity that you didn't predict 22nd March 2016: Brussels Airlines has calculated the loss from the terror attack to 79 mio Euro, with most of that outside Insurance coverage (source: annual account 2017).