Brussels Airlines in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

RoMax

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by RoMax »

Klausenburg wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 21:47 At the moment, I believe this would be the best choice. However, as the name of the company is in the hands of the people who thought Eurowings is a good name for a company, I don't have high hopes. Really, how imaginative have one to be in order to come with something so lame as "Eurowings" ???
Let's not over-exaggerate here either... No Eurowings is not a sparkling and global name, but it's clear and simple: European and an airline.

Btw, it might be interesting for some to look at the history of Eurowings and Germanwings in Germany (which after all is the home market on which it's all based). Eurowings already exists since the early 1990's as a regional airline operating under the Eurowings name (mainly regional aircraft like the ATR and later BAe/Avro, but also Airbus aircraft). They launched a LCC unit in 1997 which became a seperate company in 2002 under the brand of Germanwings. At that time Eurowings was an independent company operating under the Eurowings name/brand and with Germanwings as a LCC daughter fully owned by Eurowings.
Lufthansa entered the story of Eurowings in 2001 when they took an initial minority share in the company, which was gradually expanded to a majority share and eventually full ownership. The flipping point came in 2006 when LH expanded its share to (slightly) beyond 50% and Eurowings started operating under the Lufthansa Regional brand (but it always remained Lufthansa Regional operated by Eurowings - Lufthansa Regional was a virtual carrier). Lufthansa took over Germanwings from Eurowings in 2008 and developed it further as their own LCC and a full take-over of Eurowings itself followed in 2011. EW remained under the Lufthansa Regional brand until 2014 when the switch was made to the new strategy of redeveloping Eurowings.

Just to summarize, Eurowings wasn't founded by Lufthansa and even Germanwings was a Eurowings project before Lufthansa took the lead several years later. Both Eurowings and Germanwings developed into well known and respected brands in Germany before Lufthansa took full control of them and LH didn't do much more than using the old basis to launch a new pillar of their group strategy. The choice to fully go for Eurowings was caused by the Germanwings 'crash' some years ago. Until that point the whole concept was based on the common "Wings" name/element and not necessarily focused on 1 single brand/name. Even the Eurowings logo and company colors still resemble in a subtle way to the old Eurowings brand and logo. So indeed not much creativity there, but they have built it on names which were already very well known by the German market.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Klausenburg wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 21:47 @Sia, I apologize for having maybe an exaggerated reaction. However, branding is a sensible issue and has to be carefully handled. BTW, I found this (and it has no link to Africa, but to my country):

lumumba wrote:
Let's keep Brussels Airlines...basta!!!!
At the moment, I believe this would be the best choice. However, as the name of the company is in the hands of the people who thought Eurowings is a good name for a company, I don't have high hopes. Really, how imaginative have one to be in order to come with something so lame as "Eurowings" ???
I like this poster do you have it?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

RoMax wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 22:06 Btw, it might be interesting for some to look at the history of Eurowings and Germanwings in Germany (which after all is the home market on which it's all based). Eurowings already exists since the early 1990's as a regional airline operating under the Eurowings name (mainly regional aircraft like the ATR and later BAe/Avro, but also Airbus aircraft).
Thanks for this historic reminder, RoMax.

Wasn't the initial name Nürnberger Flugdienst, later abbreviated into NFD? I fondly remember flying with them in what I believe was one of the first ATR aircraft: NFD served a small characteristic round bottle of their excellent regional wine to every customer on board! That was the time when flying was still a memorable experience...
André
ex Sabena #26567

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

sn26567 wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 22:53
RoMax wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 22:06 Btw, it might be interesting for some to look at the history of Eurowings and Germanwings in Germany (which after all is the home market on which it's all based). Eurowings already exists since the early 1990's as a regional airline operating under the Eurowings name (mainly regional aircraft like the ATR and later BAe/Avro, but also Airbus aircraft).
Thanks for this historic reminder, RoMax.

Wasn't the initial name Nürnberger Flugdienst, later abbreviated into NFD? I fondly remember flying with them in what I believe was one of the first ATR aircraft: NFD served a small characteristic round bottle of their excellent regional wine to every customer on board! That was the time when flying was still a memorable experience...
Eurowings was founded by the merger of 2 small airlines, but forgive me for not knowing these names myself, would have to look it up first ;)

travellover

Post by travellover »

Sai wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 15:16
Those in favor of SABENA, because it would still be a recognised and respected brand in certain parts of Africa... It seems to me this is a kind of nostalgic, neo-colonial vision.
Who knows but IMO, the name of Sabena will not be recycled in the future.
It seems to me that Sabena has kept pace with the times, looking back at the nineties, eighties ... that it was synonymous with internationalism and respect.
Why should we fear then, even if the brand of Sabena was resurrected, that it would be associated with neo-colonialism?
Cheers

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

Still... my bet on belgianwings... even if - of course - I would by far prefer the come back of the Sabena brand!
But who knows ? Retro is trendy... Sabena holds a strong héritage, for a bright future under the LH Group? What a buzz it could be ;-)
Btw... the last Sabena livery could still perfectly fit, don’t you think!?
S-tails back @ BRU!!!

LT3

Post by LT3 »

And what do You thing ?
Better to keep a belgian touch in BRU for short and long haul and Eurowings air DUS
Or adopt Eurowings for all short haul across Europe , BRU, DUS etc
And another name for Long Haul ....also for all the EUrowings Group ?
The Belgian touch on the long haul part of Eurowings fliyng across The World , from BRU , DUS ....?
Seems to be «  un compromis à la belge » a win win combo

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

In my opinion, 2 brands @ BRU are not sustainable... It will be too fuzzy for the PAX, especially for those on connecting flights!

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 11:08 In my opinion, 2 brands @ BRU are not sustainable... It will be too fuzzy for the PAX, especially for those on connecting flights!
It’s the same as connecting to another airline of the same aliance, beside avgeeks not many people care about the name on the fuselage.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Poiu wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 12:07 beside avgeeks not many people care about the name on the fuselage.
I don't agree with you, any marketer would tell you that a brand is not only a "name". The brand is reflecting the image of the company. Do you think the a French guy is not proud when he fly "Air France", for him Air France is synonyme of Quality, Premium, while Transavia is a low cost, even if the service was the same, he would still prefer fly Air France because of what the perception that he have with the brand. Same apply everywhere and Belgian are not different. By the way If you look at te mobilisation of the people on social network about what happened last weekend, you really see that people are attached to Brussels Airlines, the brand and everything around.

Poiu

Post by Poiu »

crew1990 wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 12:22
Poiu wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 12:07 beside avgeeks not many people care about the name on the fuselage.
I don't agree with you, any marketer would tell you that a brand is not only a "name". The brand is reflecting the image of the company. Do you think the a French guy is not proud when he fly "Air France", for him Air France is synonyme of Quality, Premium, while Transavia is a low cost, even if the service was the same, he would still prefer fly Air France because of what the perception that he have with the brand.
AF is actually a perfect example of the point I want to make: more and more Air France flights are done by Hop, Joon and Transavia. If it would have a negative financial impact they wouldn’t continue expanding Hop, Joon and Transavia. People book on AF’s website, how many notice the “operated by Hop”?
As for the reactions on social media, how many? 100000? That is only 1% of lasr year’s passengers, 25% others are frequent flyers or company contracts. The 74% others decide on price, if more than one airline is flying the same route.
Last edited by Poiu on 12 Feb 2018, 13:16, edited 2 times in total.

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

sn26567 wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 10:25
brusselsairlinesfan wrote: And why did they chose Brussels Airlines instead of Belgian Airlines at that time ?
Belgian politics! Some people in the North of the country dislike anything that carries the name "Belgian". That's also why the TV broadcaster BRT changed its name to VRT for example.
the same is true for RTBffffffff ;)

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

first pics of 'Brussels Airlines' 1st A340-300 (in EW colours) but with Belgian flag and reg

https://www.airteamimages.com/airbus-a3 ... 98407.html
Citybird
The flying dream

convair

Post by convair »

OO-ITR wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 13:01
sn26567 wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 10:25
brusselsairlinesfan wrote: And why did they chose Brussels Airlines instead of Belgian Airlines at that time ?
Belgian politics! Some people in the North of the country dislike anything that carries the name "Belgian". That's also why the TV broadcaster BRT changed its name to VRT for example.
the same is true for RTBffffffff ;)
No: "B" stands for "Belge". :)

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

if it's like the current wetlease they'll add the Brussels Airlines logo on the door
Citybird
The flying dream

DeltaWiskey

Post by DeltaWiskey »

CTBke wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 13:37 if it's like the current wetlease they'll add the Brussels Airlines logo on the door
I believe there will indeed be an ‘operated by brussels airlines’ title on door 1L, like the sunexpress a330.

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

DeltaWiskey wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 13:48
CTBke wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 13:37 if it's like the current wetlease they'll add the Brussels Airlines logo on the door
I believe there will indeed be an ‘operated by brussels airlines’ title on door 1L, like the sunexpress a330.
I hope so .. as it's on the Brussels Airlines registry .. at least on the inside it'll be shown on their safety cards.. but the outside needs that mentioning as well
Citybird
The flying dream

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Still not in the Belgian register though. ;)

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

Bralo20 wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 13:52 Still not in the Belgian register though. ;)
it'll take time ... the reg is already on the plane .. that's already a good thing :)
Citybird
The flying dream

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

CTBke wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 13:58 it'll take time ... the reg is already on the plane .. that's already a good thing :)
And with flags, contrary to toewie with their new MAX :mrgreen: