Brussels Airlines in 2018

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Bralo20

Re: Brussels Airlines in 2018

Post by Bralo20 » 07 Feb 2018, 10:26

ezis_bis wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 10:11
But what does that mean?
Could still mean it is the HQ of a company flying out of Dusseldorf
Well, currently EW doesn't fly long haul, they subcontract it to other companies who fly on behalf of EW. This will change in the future by letting SN operate all long haul flights for EW instead, this way the money remains in the group rather than spending it outside the group.

Eventually it could mean that we see OO- registered long haul planes from multiple locations throughout Europe, just like other airlines do it already with short haul (Easyjet, Ryanair,.. all operated planes registered outside of the country they operate from) and even long haul (Norwegian comes to mind).

I guess the Brussels Airlines brand will be kept for Belgium, maybe even indefinitely (or at least for the next 4 to 5 years, remember there's still a new logojet on the horizon) for all kinds of operations, long, mid, short haul but they'll also be marketed as EW flights (slap another codeshare on each flight). This will keep Belgium and Star Alliance happy and yet integrates SN into EW.

Not quite sure yet how they'll handle Africa expansions from outside of Belgium if they want to do so under EW, will they be marketed as SN flights rather than EW flights or are they going to gamble and hope that the EW brand will stick? I guess time will tell.

But what's not quite clear is how many backoffice jobs will be moved.

Not Real

Post by Not Real » 07 Feb 2018, 10:29

Bralo20 wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 10:16
At VRT De Redactie:

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2018/02/07 ... behouden-/

- Brussels Airlines will perform the longhaul flighs of EW, rapid expansion of DUS
- Less night stops (for which a compensation will be found)
- No "Germanisation" of Brussels Airlines, Brussels Airlines remains Belgian (though no real commitment about the brand)
- Brussels Airlines remains part of Star Alliance (guess Star Alliance pushed for that one)

So not much news...
Does Star Alliance really need to ask any company to be its member? I'm afraid it works different, the company has to do its best to be able to become a member and as Eurowings is not a member of this alliance it is obvious they will do everything to keep SN as a member of Star Alliance. That way they can hope they will become Star Alliance member as well.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 » 07 Feb 2018, 10:39

Not Real wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 10:29
Does Star Alliance really need to ask any company to be its member? I'm afraid it works different, the company has to do its best to be able to become a member and as Eurowings is not a member of this alliance it is obvious they will do everything to keep SN as a member of Star Alliance. That way they can hope they will become Star Alliance member as well.
Of course not, but I didn't wrote that *A "asked" that SN remains a member, I wrote that *A probably pushed Lufthansa a bit to keep SN as a *A member since they know that SN has a value to *A (mostly in the Africa region).

Not sure if Eurowings will become a *A member in the future, afaik there isn't a LCC member of any alliance yet (but things can change, maybe EW will become an example of that).

What I'm curious about is if the SN flights outside of Belgium will also be marketed as SN flights thus being able to have the *A benefits for those flights as well.

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot » 07 Feb 2018, 10:47

Bralo20 wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 10:39
Not Real wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 10:29
Of course not, but I didn't wrote that *A "asked" that SN remains a member, I wrote that *A probably pushed Lufthansa a bit to keep SN as a *A member since they know that SN has a value to *A (mostly in the Africa region).

Not sure if Eurowings will become a *A member in the future, afaik there isn't a LCC member of any alliance yet (but things can change, maybe EW will become an example of that).

What I'm curious about is if the SN flights outside of Belgium will also be marketed as SN flights thus being able to have the *A benefits for those flights as well.

SINGAPORE — Star Alliance, the global partnership of airlines ranging from Singapore Airlines to United Continental Holdings, is looking to include low-cost units of its members as partners as more and more people flock to budget carriers lured by cheaper fares.

https://www.todayonline.com/star-allian ... s-partners

:)

Not Real

Post by Not Real » 07 Feb 2018, 10:50

Ayayay

Did he say something about wet-lease contracts? Will they stop them, continue or no idea yet?

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 » 07 Feb 2018, 10:55

Guess I missed that one :mrgreen:

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Boavida

Post by Boavida » 07 Feb 2018, 11:08

Ok, let's dare to be optimistic for once:

It looks like Brussels Airlines will become a more long-haul airline, with (probably) a new brandname with a 'Belgian touch', while - I guess - many European flights will be done by Eurowings.

About the name: as they still don't say they will keep the Brussels Airlines brand, it looks like they really want a name change. Maybe its good to have an outsiders perspective here: while for us Brussels Airlines is a known brand, it apparently isn't for lots of people outside Belgium. We need to accept this.

Like I said before, a new (more recognisable) name with a 'Belgian touch' can only be one: Sabena. 8-)

ZavCity

Post by ZavCity » 07 Feb 2018, 11:27

Eurowings Belgium sounds good!
paul

Boavida

Post by Boavida » 07 Feb 2018, 11:38

^^ No, it does not.

JustPlanes

Post by JustPlanes » 07 Feb 2018, 11:49

Bruhansa
Eurobrussels
Belgiumwings
Sabena
but keep the SN colors pleassssseeeeee... the LH and EW liveries look like they've been designed in a funeral parlor and a sausage company! hahaha

travellover

Post by travellover » 07 Feb 2018, 12:11

Belgian touch will be kept.
So maybe more belgian icons will follow ? Why not on an A330 ?
Cheers

Passenger

Post by Passenger » 07 Feb 2018, 12:31

This morning, Lufthansa and Eurowings didn't tell the Ondernemingsraad/Conseil d'Entreprise what their real plans are. And Eurowings-CEO Dirks dind't give too much details to the united staff neither. The Germans have an expression for that necessary silence: "Freund hört mitt". Translated from that expression: within 15 minutes, our competitors know our plans because 1% of the people present here will send sms'es to the press, and the journo's will put it online immediately. Hence: sorry for the 99% others, but I can't explain how we will realize our plans.

So all that Amsterdam, Dublin, London and Paris know for sure now, is that Brussels Airlines will become the groups' "long haul experience center". Good luck to them to translate that to their sales departments and yield managers...

skumfiduse

Post by skumfiduse » 07 Feb 2018, 12:36

In the past few days I've read many articles in Flemish, Walloon and international media on the recent developments at Brussels Airlines - including posts here on luchtzak/aviation24. Frankly said, I read a lot of drama. As if all what is happening now comes as a surprise. Come on, really?!

Lufthansa didn't buy Brussels Airlines to keep is at is. From the moment LH stepped in, they meant business. You win some, you lose some. Although Brussels Airlines didn't earn a spot in the Lufthansa "Premium" Group, the company is still here. Whether we like it or not, we should be thankful for that. We all know the past 15 years of the Belgian airline haven't been a walk in the park, let alone the heritage of its predecessor.
  • Brussels Airlines has been able to develop its fleet of Avrojets to one with a mix of Airbus A319/A320 and 10 Airbus A330. Why buy factory-new Airbus aircraft when they only add more pressure in obtaining a healthy yield?
  • Brussels Airlines has been able to secure a strong position in Africa: a vital part of its operations. Let's not forget doing business in Africa is slightly different than doing business in Europe. The recent events in Congo show once again how volatile the African market is.
  • Brussels Airlines has a scattered history: Sabena, DAT, SN Brussels Airlines, Virgin Express and more recently the integration of Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium. It takes time to reposition a business culture. Unfortunately a company cannot decide how much time it needs, the market does.
  • The home market of Brussels Airlines is a very special one, hence its hybride model fits Belgium. On one hand there's a lot of premium business: EU, NATO and consultancy companies to name a few. On the other hand, there's a huge leisure market: how else to explain the competitor's success (TUI fly Belgium and Ryanair, that is)?
To me, people at Brussels Airlines have done what they could do within their own capabilities, when the company was partly-owned by Lufthansa. Now that the Belgian airline is fully-owned by Lufthansa, it's obvious some (or many) things will change, for the better of the airline group. I'm pretty sure Lufthansa doesn't want a second Swissair-Sabena scenario and has learned from bmi and Lufthansa Italia.

chrisflyer

Post by chrisflyer » 07 Feb 2018, 12:52

Looks like Lufthansa Group registered the brand name Belgianwings already a long time ago. If SN is going to become an integral part of the EW Group, but will retain a distinct Belgian identity, Belgianwings makes a lot of sense. They could even keep the iconic b-tail.

See the entry in the European patent register:

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#detail ... /004323011
Last edited by chrisflyer on 07 Feb 2018, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide » 07 Feb 2018, 13:05

ZavCity wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 11:27
Eurowings Belgium sounds good!
paul
what's in a name ;)
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

Shonix

Post by Shonix » 07 Feb 2018, 13:30

http://www.lesoir.be/138774/article/201 ... uppression

Well, correct me if needed but what I understand is:

Eurowing's strategy is to expand its long-haul network on a low-cost model thanks to Brussels Airline's expertise and connections in this field.

I feel like SN is just a springboard for Eurowings and once they used it to achieve their objectives, we can expect SN to disappear.

There would be a "grace period" for SN no longer than 2 years I guess...

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam » 07 Feb 2018, 13:50

What does it mean "a center of excellence for the long haul"? I understand "long haul", "excellence" and "center"...but the three words...oups !!

Passenger

Post by Passenger » 07 Feb 2018, 15:16

nordikcam wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 13:50
What does it mean "a center of excellence for the long haul"? I understand "long haul", "excellence" and "center"...but the three words...oups !!
It means: "let the competition find out what our plans are. We keep that for ourselves = for our Board and for our Directiecomités/Comités de Direction. If we give details at the Ondernemingsraad/Conseil d'Entreprise, that's gonna be the same as mailing our business plan to Dublin, London, Amsterdam and Paris.

convair

Post by convair » 07 Feb 2018, 15:40

chrisflyer wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 12:52
Looks like Lufthansa Group registered the brand name Belgianwings already a long time ago. If SN is going to become an integral part of the EW Group, but will retain a distinct Belgian identity, Belgianwings makes a lot of sense. They could even keep the iconic b-tail.
See the entry in the European patent register:
https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#detail ... /004323011
Belgianwings isn't too bad if the name Brussels Airlines must disappear. However, in many parts of the world, Brussels is better known than Belgium; so, it could as well be Brusselswings.

Anyway, I think EW HQ better keep the current name for a while and make a few marketing surveys before going for any change.

Poiu

Post by Poiu » 07 Feb 2018, 15:45

chrisflyer wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 12:52
They could even keep the iconic b-tail.
The S-tail was iconic.