Direct flights from Germany to Kigali (and Victoria Falls) ?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

rwandan-flyer

Direct flights from Germany to Kigali (and Victoria Falls) ?

Post by rwandan-flyer »

Hi

Today, someone said on Twitter, there is rumor, that a Germany-Kigali (Rwanda)-Vic Falls (Zimbabwe) route could open. Any one has some infos ?

" i keep hearing of a proposed link between Germany - Kigali - Victoria Falls. idk who or when"

https://twitter.com/Mlandeli_Ndlela/sta ... 0161412096

If it's true i don't see Air Berlin, but probably an airline from Lufthansa group (Eurowings or Lufthansa CityLine)

Lutfhansa has codeshare agreements with Brussels Airlines (6 weekly service to Kigali) and Ethiopian Airlines (double daily service to Kigali. )RwandAir (which has important ties with Lufthansa) planned to serve Frankfurt, but they are now focused on London, now.

In 2013 Germany was the 3rd market in Europe, for Rwanda, behind UK and Belgium, with 9,180 visitors ( i don't have recent stats, but i bet the figure has grown, since 2013. Ties improved between Rwanda & Germany since 2-3 years). Of course the airline is not targeting only point to point traffic

http://venturesafrica.com/24000-america ... s-tourism/

The only problem, is despite growing fast, Rwanda market is not enough very big. I don't know if there is enough space for 4 European airlines (KLM, Brussels Airlines, Turkish Airlines and a German Airline) plus RwandAir, btw Europe and Rwanda. There are also Kenya Airways, Qatar Airways and Ethiopian which serve Rwanda.
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

sn26567

Re: Direct flights from Germany to Kigali (and Victoria Falls) ?

Post by sn26567 »

I don't see Lufthansa launching such a route without Brussels Airlines being involved.

Since the two African destinations are essentially touristic ones, could it be that the routes will be launched by one of the large tour operators TUI (TUI fly) or Thomas Cook (Condor) ?
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

the two African destinations are essentially touristic ones
This is not my domain, yet I have some reserve. Rwanda and Burundi were Belgian protectorates at one time. A fair deal of Belgians were adopted as children from there over the years, especially around 1960. There most be a good deal of "Visiting Friends Relatives" passengers on the routes from Brussels to Kigali and Bujumbura.

Then again, Belgium is (or at least used to be ) an active sponsor of these countries so there must be a good deal of diplomats and pseudo-diplomats travelling, plus professionals of the various support programmes.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

jan_olieslagers wrote: 23 Mar 2017, 20:49
the two African destinations are essentially touristic ones
There most be a good deal of "Visiting Friends Relatives" passengers on the routes from Brussels to Kigali and Bujumbura.
For the air routes between Belgium and Rwanda, I agree with you. But we are talking here about routes from Germany to Rwanda: and to me, it seems that Germans look at Rwanda and Zimbabwe as touristic destinations.
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Yes. That is to say, if they look at them at all... which I doubt, historically they have more ties with Namibia and even with Cameroon and Tanzania, German colonies until 1918. But again, commercial air transport is not my primary cup of tea.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Rwanda was also a German colony until 1918!
André
ex Sabena #26567

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

rwandan-flyer wrote: 23 Mar 2017, 10:38 Hi

Today, someone said on Twitter, there is rumor, that a Germany-Kigali (Rwanda)-Vic Falls (Zimbabwe) route could open. Any one has some infos ?

" i keep hearing of a proposed link between Germany - Kigali - Victoria Falls. idk who or when"

https://twitter.com/Mlandeli_Ndlela/sta ... 0161412096

If it's true i don't see Air Berlin, but probably an airline from Lufthansa group (Eurowings or Lufthansa CityLine)

Lutfhansa has codeshare agreements with Brussels Airlines (6 weekly service to Kigali) and Ethiopian Airlines (double daily service to Kigali. )RwandAir (which has important ties with Lufthansa) planned to serve Frankfurt, but they are now focused on London, now.

In 2013 Germany was the 3rd market in Europe, for Rwanda, behind UK and Belgium, with 9,180 visitors ( i don't have recent stats, but i bet the figure has grown, since 2013. Ties improved between Rwanda & Germany since 2-3 years). Of course the airline is not targeting only point to point traffic

http://venturesafrica.com/24000-america ... s-tourism/

The only problem, is despite growing fast, Rwanda market is not enough very big. I don't know if there is enough space for 4 European airlines (KLM, Brussels Airlines, Turkish Airlines and a German Airline) plus RwandAir, btw Europe and Rwanda. There are also Kenya Airways, Qatar Airways and Ethiopian which serve Rwanda.
Now i m waiting for Kigali, with tag service via Kilimanjaro (KLM did it in 2014) :mrgreen:
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873