Multiple diversions at Hamburg Airport after terminal closure due to toxic gas

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Passenger

Multiple diversions at Hamburg Airport after terminal closure due to toxic gas

Post by Passenger »

Multiple diversions at Hamburg Airport.

Apparently the arr/dep terminals are closed, due to an air conditioning pollution. Several people have been taken to hospital.

The Wolf

Re: Diversions from around the globe (medical, technical, ...) 2017

Post by The Wolf »

People allowed to re-enter now but still no flight activity

DIBO

Re: Multiple diversions at Hamburg Airport after airconditioning pollution in the terminal

Post by DIBO »

First acft landing again was at 13:58 (CRJ900 from Birmingham)

luchtzak

Re: Multiple diversions at Hamburg Airport after airconditioning pollution in the terminal

Post by luchtzak »

Tweets about the incident: from error to failure, from sabotage to a terrorist attack ...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

NDR (tv Norddeutscher Rundfunk) reports that the fire brigade reports that an empty tear-gas or a pepperspray cartridge has been found.

Rettungseinsatz am Hamburger Flughafen: Weil mehrere Menschen über Atemwegsreizungen geklagt haben, wurde der Airport am Sonntag um 12.32 Uhr gesperrt, rund eine Stunde später aber wieder geöffnet. Auch der Flugbetrieb wurde wieder aufgenommen. Die Terminals waren zwischenzeitlich geräumt worden, wie ein Sprecher der Bundespolizei sagte. Mutmaßlich sei Pfefferspray oder ein ähnliches Reizgas versprüht worden, teilte ein Feuerwehrsprecher am Sonntagnachmittag mit. Man habe eine entsprechende Kartusche gefunden.

https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/hamburg/ ... n1240.html

luchtzak

Re: Multiple diversions at Hamburg Airport after air conditioning pollution in the terminal

Post by luchtzak »

Passenger wrote: 12 Feb 2017, 15:32 NDR (tv Norddeutscher Rundfunk) reports that the fire brigade reports that an empty tear-gas or a pepperspray cartridge has been found.
:roll:

skumfiduse

Re: Multiple diversions at Hamburg Airport after terminal closure due to toxic gas

Post by skumfiduse »

I happened to be in Hamburg this weekend. My return flight was around 1900 but I decided to go early to the airport. Always an avgeek ;)

When I entered the terminal shortly after 1600, I was surprised by the very long queue for the security checkpoint. At that time I didn't know what had happened earlier today. I learnt about the events on the Twitterfeed of 'De Redactie'.

The queue shortened and lengthened as time went by. Then I realised I'd better got in line for my flight. I passed the security check only 40 minutes before departure.

Walking as fast as I could, not running, to the gate on the other side of the terminal. Queueing again followed by a bus tour around the ramp.

Once seated, it became clear the flight wouldn't depart on time. My feeling got confirmed by the captain who explained we had to wait for two more busses with passengers. Things weren't running as usual at the airport, even hours after the events. It must have been a substantial number of missing passengers ... and to me it showed the flexibility of our Irish airline. Or they had a later slot and couldn't do much more than wait for clearance.

In the end we left Hamburg with almost 50 minutes of delay and consequently a late arrival in Brussels.

sn26567

Re: Multiple diversions at Hamburg Airport after terminal closure due to toxic gas

Post by sn26567 »

skumfiduse wrote: 12 Feb 2017, 21:28 I happened to be in Hamburg this weekend. When I entered the terminal shortly after 1600, I was surprised by the very long queue for the security checkpoint.
I was in Hamburg in November, without any special events at that time. And the queue for the security checkpoint was also very long. Probably not as long as yours, but it seems nevertheless to be specific to Hamburg. There seems to be lack of security staff. The airport management ought to address this issue seriously!
André
ex Sabena #26567

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

This morning a new (short) interuption at Hamburg Airport.
Part 1: Currently an incident is under investigation at
Hamburg Airport. This impacts flight operations.

Part 2: Passengers are being asked to check the status of
their flights with the respective operating airline.
But cleared after 20 minutes.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

luchtzak wrote: 13 Feb 2017, 11:07 This morning a new (short) interuption at Hamburg Airport.
Flight operations at Hamburg Airport operating normally
Suspicion of repeat of gas incident not confirmed

Today, Monday, 14 employees at Hamburg Airport’s central security checkpoint complained that they were feeling unwell. Passengers in the same area were not affected. The employees were immediately checked by German Red Cross personnel. The fire service sealed off the area and investigated. Nothing unusual could be determined or identified. Flight operations continued unimpaired whilst these measures were carried out. All flights departed and landed on time.
André
ex Sabena #26567