Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2017

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Not Real

Re: Strikes affecting Belgian airports in 2017

Post by Not Real »

Yuqu12 wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 13:27 That's such a d*** move from the French pilots. Honestly, I can understand that they want to organise a strike when this is the last solution, but it's very sad that it are always the passengers who have to carry the consequences. And the timing is even worse: let those passengers get at least to their families with Christmas and wait with the strike until those days are over.
This is not a fault of the pilots... It's the company who really doesn't think about passengers.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Not Real wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 09:31
Yuqu12 wrote: 28 Nov 2017, 13:27 That's such a d*** move from the French pilots. Honestly, I can understand that they want to organise a strike when this is the last solution, but it's very sad that it are always the passengers who have to carry the consequences. And the timing is even worse: let those passengers get at least to their families with Christmas and wait with the strike until those days are over.
This is not a fault of the pilots... It's the company who really doesn't think about passengers.
1. The results of a strike are allways the fault of those who go on strike.
2. Also in this case, it's the strikers who don't care about the passengers.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

Passenger wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 12:10
And passengers that do not care about the people who make their travel possible. The low cost must come from savings on workers that make things happen. Sometimes it's just as simple as that.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Passenger wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 12:10
Si if I understood well you never have a good reason to go on strike passenger?

Maybe you also want to ban unions and as it does not have any power relationship between employers and employees!!!!!!
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

lumumba wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 12:26 Si if I understood well you never have a good reason to go on strike passenger?
Indeed. "A good reason to strike" is trade union talk. There is no legal obligation for staff to go on strike. So every staff member should consider: "are we going to harass passengers to get what we want from management/ownership?" Unfortunately, many staff members say yes to that question.

shockcooling

Post by shockcooling »

I'm not pro striking. But I find it sad that in our sector a strike immediately is considered bad, illegal, annoying, etc. The problem for me, are we 'less' allowed to strike than someone in another sector/branch. Nobody here (any forum) is going to cry at mummy when employees strike at Philips, Bosch, Ford, Renault, ArcelorMittal, ... But no trains, busses, boats and planes, oh no those can't and shouldn't strike ?

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

shockcooling wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 14:40 I'm not pro striking. But I find it sad that in our sector a strike immediately is considered bad, illegal, annoying, etc. The problem for me, are we 'less' allowed to strike than someone in another sector/branch. Nobody here (any forum) is going to cry at mummy when employees strike at Philips, Bosch, Ford, Renault, ArcelorMittal, ... But no trains, busses, boats and planes, oh no those can't and shouldn't strike ?
To go on strike is a legal right, unless it's prohibited. Example: emergency services in hospitals.

For a strike in a private company, the aim is allways the same: to damage the company in such a way that it becomes cheaper for management/ownership to give in to the demands and thus end the strike. A dirty game, but legally allowed. So be it.

When people at a Philips factory go on strike, they cause a lot of damage to their company, but they don't financially hurt people that are not involved (like the sales staff at Vandenborre or the stock administrators at MediaMarkt).

Strikes in aviation are different. You not only damage your company, but also people that are not involved in the conflict. Like tourists who miss their connection or who miss their prepaid hotel accommodation. Or businessmen, going on an important sales trip for their company - trip now cancelled - a competitor will thus win that contract. So yes, you are legally allowed to go on strike. But if you do so, and if you cause financial damage to external people, you should accept a fierce reaction from those who feel they are used as hostage in your conflict.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Passenger wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 17:03
shockcooling wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 14:40 I'm not pro striking. But I find it sad that in our sector a strike immediately is considered bad, illegal, annoying, etc. The problem for me, are we 'less' allowed to strike than someone in another sector/branch. Nobody here (any forum) is going to cry at mummy when employees strike at Philips, Bosch, Ford, Renault, ArcelorMittal, ... But no trains, busses, boats and planes, oh no those can't and shouldn't strike ?
To go on strike is a legal right, unless it's prohibited. Example: emergency services in hospitals.

For a strike in a private company, the aim is allways the same: to damage the company in such a way that it becomes cheaper for management/ownership to give in to the demands and thus end the strike. A dirty game, but legally allowed. So be it.

When people at a Philips factory go on strike, they cause a lot of damage to their company, but they don't financially hurt people that are not involved (like the sales staff at Vandenborre or the stock administrators at MediaMarkt).

Strikes in aviation are different. You not only damage your company, but also people that are not involved in the conflict. Like tourists who miss their connection or who miss their prepaid hotel accommodation. Or businessmen, going on an important sales trip for their company - trip now cancelled - a competitor will thus win that contract. So yes, you are legally allowed to go on strike. But if you do so, and if you cause financial damage to external people, you should accept a fierce reaction from those who feel they are used as hostage in your conflict.
Yes that's how it works that why it's important to have the right to strike and to strike if necessary.
Because if not the shareholders and bosses do what they want with employees and will never give a part of the profit to the worker's etc....
Hasta la victoria siempre.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Gentlemen please, this discussion is not about the legality of strike actions, but about the impact of strikes on Belgian airports.

Can we please stick to the topic?
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Alitalia cancelled 77 flights on 15 December 2017, due to the planned ATC strike. Not sure if there are "Belgian" flights in that number.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Ryanair faces a strike by its Portuguese pilots on 20 December 2017.

Ryanair faces a strike by its Spanish ground workers on 30 December 2017.

French aviation workers to strike at Paris Orly and Roissy from 22 December to 05 January 2018.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Belgium strike set to disrupt flights

http://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news/18 ... pt-flights

https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/ ... s-airport/

Travellers to Belgium are being warned about potential disruption on Tuesday (December 19) as workers across several sectors take industrial action.
Airlines and train companies operating to Belgium have warned that services may be affected by a national demonstration taking place in Brussels on Tuesday.
Brussels Airlines said that the demonstration in Brussels “might have an impact on our flights”.
“We recommend you to present yourself well on time at Brussels airport, and, if possible, to travel with hand baggage only,” added the airline.
Easyjet said the strike was likely to affect operations at Brussels airport as well as public transport services.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Boeing767copilot wrote: 18 Dec 2017, 14:44 Belgium strike set to disrupt flights

http://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news/18 ... pt-flights

Brussels Airport is also expecting some disruption, particularly in baggage handling. Transport to and from the airport by taxi or bus may also be affected. The airport advises passengers to come early and with hand luggage only.

https://www.aviation24.be/miscellaneous/ ... s-airport/

convair

Post by convair »

With Xmas and New Year approaching, we are now in the "Strikes and Blackmail" season. :roll:

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

[Update] The sporadic strike actions between 22 December and 8 January 2018 at Madrid-Barajas airport have been postponed by the Labour court of Madrid.

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/madri ... -holidays/