Again the pilots,SABENA was enough!!!!!!

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

regi

Post by regi »

Can we also look a the health problems of pilots? We know that a pilot is on average much healthier than the average citizen. (a sick person doesn't get qualified - I hope) But what is the average life expectancy of pilots?
Stress is a problem. Heart diseases. Hidden killerss are the radiation, constant inhalation of airconditioned air, inhalation of toxic fumes at airports.
I can imagine that crew doesn't want to think about its legal status somewhere during a 12 hour flight. When they get home, and they are tired and see that the managment has made new decisions on their back, I can imagine they get frustrated.

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

First of all, a little reminder. There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics.

Having said that, a study showed that flight crews have a life expectancy 10 years shorter than an average person (mostly due to jet-lag and the work schedules messing up with sleep patterns).

SN30952

Some guys have it: the last scheduled DC-3 passenger service

Post by SN30952 »

Some guys have it: the last scheduled DC-3 passenger service in North America.
Copilot Kelsey Ball braves the cold while passengers board a daily Buffalo Airways DC-3 flight.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3660447/

Sitting in the captain's seat, Ken Bews wags the rudder pedals and notches forward the dual throttles, trying to unstick the DC-3's big tires from the icy ground.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3660452/

ImageImage

I think many pilots still have a great live, maybe not a great salary.
But instead of flying a tourbus to the Canaries, I would prefer that.
Last edited by SN30952 on 05 Sep 2004, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

SN30952

And then you have these guys.

Post by SN30952 »

And then you have these guys.
Two pilots at the controls of a Northwest Airlines flight when it landed at the wrong airport have been suspended from flying pending an investigation.
The flight carrying 117 passengers to Rapid City, South Dakota, veered off course and landed at nearby Ellsworth Air Force Base.

The plane remained on the ground for more than three hours as the pilots told Air Force security officers what went wrong, and a new crew was dispatched to continue the flight to Rapid City.
http://rcgov.com/Airport/pages/FAQ.htm#Directions

Air Force Lt. Christine Millette said the pilots reported that they were in contact with Rapid City controllers on their approach when they descended into a cloud. When the plane came out of the cloud, the first runway the pilots saw was the one at Ellsworth.

Millette said the two runways are about 11 kilometres apart and parallel to one another.

These things happen too....

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

TCAS_climb wrote:First of all, a little reminder. There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics.

Having said that, a study showed that flight crews have a life expectancy 10 years shorter than an average person.
Your last statement being a statistic, I guess it is one of the three kinds of lies... :wink:
André
ex Sabena #26567

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

The only use of statistics is to show that more people die during war time than peace time. For the rest, it all depends on the intentions of the guy who crunches the numbers from his researches. Use a different mathematical tool and the results can be amazingly different.

In some flight safety seminars the worst insult you could hear was "Airbus statistician" (and that's not a joke) !

I might be wrong but I have the feeling that among the pilot community there's a very large proportion of professional pilots who'd give up their airline job right away to go fly turboprops in Alaska and other places like that.

Airliners are very efficient in a lot of ways (time, fuel, safety, etc.), but the fun part fades away really fast. Flying is fun, but airline flying becomes more and more like a real job.

Pilots are fighting now so that in 20 or 30 years the next airline pilots will not think about the current era as "the good old days" (because these days are NOT good).

Stress is going up, fatigue is going up, job instability is going up. Quality of life is going down, wages are going down, hard work vs. compensation ratio is going down, respect is going down. All things considered, you have to be HIGHLY motivated to survive into this and to keep alive your passion for flight.

1V1

Post by 1V1 »

Waldova where do you get your information from????

I got the same information as you did.I heard from a friend who knows a girl who's boyfriend is the cousin of an ex-SN technician that pilots are overpaid. All of them! They should be happy they do not have to pay for flying those machines and making fun all day. Staying over-nite in those nice hotels with all these hostesses and being paid for it, shame on them. Always complaining about how long they have to work and being underpaid. If I could have been a pilot......

"In the back of a pilot's mind lurks a disturbing aura of uncertainty that is present all the time to some degree. It is related to job security, not to fear of flying. Being a pilot isn't the cushy high-paying job a large part of the public believe. It has stress, uncertainty, heavy responsibility, and physical demands few realize or understand. The cheap Hollywood image is false."
Captain Robert N. Buck

Greetz

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Peter Davies:continuerons à nous développer sur des bases solides et cela demandera des efforts continus de la part de tous nos employés. »

PDF
From flysn.com
Regards
Patrice
Hasta la victoria siempre.

SNBrussels

Post by SNBrussels »

:evil: enough is enough about this subject :evil:

[ Admin changed big letters and color (forum-rules https://www.aviation24.be/postt2760.html ) ]

Avro

Post by Avro »

Peter Davies:continuerons à nous développer sur des bases solides et cela demandera des efforts continus de la part de tous nos employés. »
I suppose this statement says it all. :?

Welcome back SNBrussels !!!

Why do you need to SHOUT like this ? This discussion has ben lead in a very peacefull way this time !!!!!

Chris

EBBR

Post by EBBR »

SNBrussels wrote::evil: enough is enough about this subject :evil:
Says who? Or do we need to examine your avatar?

Sedtgerder

Post by Sedtgerder »

hello,

I'm a f/o at sn.

I agree: it is a great job and it is fun to fly
but some remarks:

It is not an easy decision to leave a company, if you make the wrong one you can't come back. There are not hundred's of jobs around.

Our wages were the lowest of the whole sabena group, after the bancrupcy of sabena around 30% was cut off without discussion (back against the wall)

And DAT was a good company to work for, we now were treated wrongly and we are getting bullied.
I am proud what I do and I don't want to leave. But this doesn't mean that I have to take everything. I don't want to run. I want to stick around and 'fight' for my working conditions. If evertbody runs away at SNBA then SNBA will die or will be flown by demotivated people who don't care. Way to go. Do you wan't to sit in this plane?
Respect goes both ways. And that is missing.

Another thing. I invested a lot of money to sit in that seat and when you invest it you want something back. Living with parents to get the loan paid was not my idea....
About the workload: It's not always high and yes, we can enjoy but if the shit hits the fan: well no money is enough if .....

Bye

SN30952

Re: And then you have these guys.

Post by SN30952 »

SN30952 wrote:And then you have these guys.
Two pilots at the controls of a Northwest Airlines flight when it landed at the wrong airport have been suspended from flying pending an investigation.
The flight carrying 117 passengers to Rapid City, South Dakota, veered off course and landed at nearby Ellsworth Air Force Base.
The plane remained on the ground for more than three hours as the pilots told Air Force security officers what went wrong, and a new crew was dispatched to continue the flight to Rapid City. These things happen too....
Latest news about these guys:
The two Northwest Airlines pilots have been fired for landing at the wrong South Dakota airport in 2004 JUN.
'The pilots made a mistake, but we believe the punishment is excessive.They do have many years of service for Northwest along with good work records.' the pilots union said that it is fighting to get those jobs restored.
The pilots landed an Airbus A319 at Ellsworth Air Force Base when they were supposed to touch down at Rapid City Regional Airport, about seven miles away.
For some people this seems not like a mistake, but groundstaff missing to put 119 suitcases in the right aircraft get fired! Here it was 119 passengers, their suitcases, cargo, a crew and an aircraft misplaced!!!

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

So after 2 years here we are.
I don't think they understand how bad it is for a company to do this.
And SN is still so fragile.
Regards
Pat
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Advisor

Sabena is a good airline

Post by Advisor »

I remember the warmth and love extended by the Sabena crew and yes the ground staff at Changi airport when i was returning back to Bombay. (Then SN had operations in INDIA).

They were wery courteous and yes must mention that the Pilot even walked down the asile and greeted most of us.

I was young then and would like the airline to prosper and yes grow.